Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Steve & Phyllis
If they offered you a good price for your old one and you are 100% going to sell it and buy another I would agree to their terms but I want a check "now" for my trade in. That way you have their money rather than them having yours. If a better deal comes along or they don't get what you want in and you see one elsewhere you can just buy it. No way though would I leave my trailer without a check in my pocket.

SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I guess cancelling the order and getting an different dealer is out of the question, right?
thanks all, the answer to my question is coming back loud and clear. I was really uncomfortable in doing this but had never traded a trailer on another before so wasn't sure if this was a normal occurence in this business. I will hang on to my trailer untill my new one arrives and if they won't agree to it, I already have another dealer with a 2013 in stock. I would prefer the 2014 but as all of you have mentioned, they will need to wait until the new unit arrives before they get my trailer.

Herk, no papers signed yet, just been conversing on the phone so no problem in going elsewhere if need be.

thanks all for your valuable input............

2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, max tow/payload
2014 Rockwood 8280WS
2002 Harley Heritage Softail
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
I almost wonder if they're short on cash and are hoping to sell yours to float things for a bit. My dealer called me 2 or 3 times (once on a Sunday!) asking for a larger deposit than I had already put down. I politely declined.

Everything worked out in the end. But- was weird.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
I kept mine for 2 months while my new one was being built. You might as well sell yours outright and renegotiate a better deal on the new rv. The point of trading is to not have down time or hadsle. Just my 2 cents
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
I wouldn't do it. You will lose any leverage on your new trailer deal if there are issues. The dealer would have no incentive keep you happy.........they have what they want.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
If the 2013 at the other dealer is a lot cheaper, which it should be, I would go with that. And both dealers should be offering you a higher trade in price if they get it early in the year.
But I would never give up my trade before the new one is in your hands.
What if the dealer goes belly up? You think you would be owed money, but just try to get it!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper
I guess it depends on your comfort level with your dealer. I took ours in to the dealer in April and we never got our new one tilll July. We had discussed this and if we would have needed a unit I have no doubt the dealer would have let us use one of their trade in's that had not been sold yet. Of course there is always the chance of a lemon new unit but there are far more happy buyers than ones who got bad units IMO and I had and still have no reason to believe our dealer would not have made it right one way or another.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
update on is this industry standard

I ordered a 2014 rockwood 8280WS platinum package today from the dealer I've been negotiating with. I am also hanging on to my current trailer until my new one gets here. I'm hoping the 8-10 weeks go by really fast.

2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, max tow/payload
2014 Rockwood 8280WS
2002 Harley Heritage Softail
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote