Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Is this TT still worth purchasing?

Found a 2007 Cherokee 28a+ that meets our needs and is a fair deal. We are new to TTs and RVs, and want to do some family trips while we have the opportunity in the next two years. Although new to RVs, we have been researching and searching for two years.

The owners have experience and have had the TT for 10 years. They are very nice, and very helpful and the type of seller we were looking for. The deal was struck, and I went to pay when the owners realized they forgot something. They recently discovered a 1 ft x 6 in soft spot in the bedroom floor. At the owner’s suggestion, we paused the deal to have the issue looked at.

Turns out there was a slide out leak through old caulk that went unnoticed, and now the floor under the slide out is being replaced.

I have heard not to touch a TT with a leak, and this is why I’m posting. Otherwise, the deal looks solid and the issue will be fixed. What would you do?

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my long post and reply.

Cheers
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

I was going to start by saying be warry of someone passing on their problems to you, the new buyer. but that is not the case here. your seller seems to actually care about the rig and your satisfaction of the sale as well, which sadly is very rare these days. I read about leaks, especially slide leaks, on here almost daily. it would seem that if the affected wood is replaced properly, leak sealed an other damage repaired and inspected to your satisfaction, I would take the deal and probably not think twice about it.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #3

Look closely down the sides for delamination. Bubbles in the siding.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

I would want to monitor the repair and see how bad the damage was once tanken apart. The damage most likely will be much larger. I definitely would give the current owners credit for being up front about the damage. The only rv's that do not leak to some degree are ones that have not left the factory building.
Tnez23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Coach

I agree the owners sound pretty genuine. That being said, it is 11-12 years old now. Give it a thorough look over. Even honest people can miss things. Take a good look at the roof. Is the caulking kept up or dry and cracked? That goes for any caulking as well, but especially the roof. Check around windows, door seals, etc. If everything is within your expectations, and the repair is completed to your satisfaction, I'd say pull the trigger. If anything about it makes you a little leery, walk away.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

Also a lot of campgrounds don't want trailers over ten years old.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

usually the 10 year rule is for seasonals.. it sounds like they are going to be transients. so the age should not be a concern
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Those aren't campgrounds, they are higher end RV parks.
I don't consider those to be campgrounds.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #9

Buying a camper several years old that has never leaked anywhere would be a rare find. Most do what the owners are doing, finding and repairing the leak, then repairing the damage. I would purchase if everything else checked out.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

Why not pay a professional to do a thorough exam as to the condition of that trailer before you buy?

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

our very first ‘camper’, had a leak above the living room slide out. It was a ‘13 Blackwood 40’ bunkhouse - and the owner had just experienced a storm which brought down a small limb, punching a small hole in the topper and slide roof.
the owner was having it repaired, prior to our picking it up, even though we had already struck a deal knowing that it was there.

great coach, and CW(yes! CW!) did a fine job on the repairs : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just to clarify, we are tent campers trying RV CAMPING. The concept of an RV resort is something I just learned about, and have a difficult time understanding. We camp to get out in nature and away from the hustle and bustle and crowds of people. Since we are looking for a rustic experience, I don’t think the age of the TT will be a problem. Oddly enough, I’ve seen 3 year old TTS that looked worse than this one.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

I would still get it if:

1. Its a really good deal to start with.
2. Once the repairs are done, there are no soft spots and all checks out OK.
3. Once its yours, you plan to store it underneath a carport or something similar so everyday rain can not get to it.

A "no" to any of those three, I would not.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #14

Water leaks are an RV's worst nightmare. Thread carefully. As in anything used it's always buyer beware.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #15

Leaks cost time and lots of money, if the floor needs to be replaced surely one or all walls need be checked also. Been there, the whole back wall had to be replaced, dealer submitted 5K bill to mfg. Would image slide would be more expensive. Anyone who says leaks are common doesn't do preventive maintenance or has money to burn.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Gustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
usually the 10 year rule is for seasonals.. it sounds like they are going to be transients. so the age should not be a concern
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Guess I don't frequent very high end campgrounds because I've been camping my whole life and never heard this.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrockin View Post
Guess I don't frequent very high end campgrounds because I've been camping my whole life and never heard this.
I've heard of it from a few different CGs, not just the high-end ones.

It's usually something in the seasonal contract that you have to sign but enforcement can vary. If your rig is in good shape they'll usually let it slide even if it's past the 10-year mark.

They just don't want some old, beat-up, ugly trailer sitting on a seasonal spot. But they can't put that specific wording into their contracts. So they use 10 years as a cut-off.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #18

Angry Thanks for the advice!

Follow up. I always like it when the OP lets everyone know how an issue worked out, so I’m back. Unfortunately, the repairs were not to our satisfaction and we passed on this unit.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Follow up. I always like it when the OP lets everyone know how an issue worked out, so I’m back. Unfortunately, the repairs were not to our satisfaction and we passed on this unit.
Thanks for letting us know. It is the time that rvs go on sale, so hoping you find another rv.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrockin View Post
We used to own a campground and this 10 year rule is very very common . It rarely applies to short stays . Usually long term or seasonal stays . Very Very common thru out the entire USA .
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote