Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
As the title says I have left GEICO Auto after 43 years and switched to Progressive.
I'm retired and 68 and GEICO over the past 4 years have increased rates every 6 months about 6 to 7% and 21% for my latest 6 month renewal.
2 cars 3 and 4 years old
No accidents or tickets for probably 30 years.
Basic Full Coverage
50/100/50
$1,000 medial
$500 deductible
Declines both Underinsured and Uninsured motorist coverage
Both DW and I took Defensive Driving class in 2016 to save a few bucks.
So that is it.
The 6 month renewal GEICO is $710
Previous 6 month look like this... $710, 708, $667, $621, $583, $500
So you can see how they increased each 6 months

Went to my Home Owners insurance and added my two cars
50/100/50
$5,000 medical
Added Underinsured and Uninsured drivers
$500 deductible
Got discounts for being with them for the past 8 years of homeowners insurance, etc, etc, etc,

Our new 6 month auto insure cost me ONLY $368 instead of GEICO's $710
Annual saving of $504

BYE BYE GEICO
and my new Auto Insurance carrier is with FLO and PROGRESSIVE.

Just thought others in my age bracket would like to know.
i know what you mean, I have been given quotes from GEICO in the past 2 years trying to get me to change from State Farm and it was very much more. Sometimes it does make a difference to have all your eggs in one basket.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
jkoenig24

Those driving monitors are NOT a good idea. Far too many things can result in adverse reports, whether legitimate or not. I too have all my insurance with Progressive; I just WON'T give them information they really don't need and shouldn't have. I do take "Driver Safety Training" regularly and, get a discount for that (as well as a discount for having multiple policies with Progressive).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #23

USAA for everything except for the RV which they don't write.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
Kasual Kamper

What are people's claim experience with Geico? I've heard that they really nickel and dime you and insist on aftermarket parts for repairs.

When my son was a teenage driver, they refused to cover him on my policy, even though we had no claim history. I have never forgotten that and will never ever use them. I even change the channel when their ads come on.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #25

James, so what you're saying is that Geico is increasing your rates. The issue here seems clear they all play by the same rules. They start at a lower price point than your current carrier, than start increasing. So we have to shop. Btw bud, 50 is an old fart ask any 30 yr old.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #26

Angry

Quote:
As the title says I have left GEICO Auto after 43 years and switched to Progressive.
I'm retired and 68 and GEICO over the past 4 years have increased rates every 6 months about 6 to 7% and 21% for my latest 6 month renewal.
2 cars 3 and 4 years old
Basic Full Coverage
50/100/50
$1,000 medial
$500 deductible
So that is it.

50/100/50
$5,000 medical
$500 deductible
Got discounts for being with them for the past 8 years of homeowners insurance, etc, etc, etc,

Annual saving of $504

BYE BYE GEICO

Statistics. You are way overdue for an unfortunate event and GEICO wants you gone before it happens. The risk analysis group is doing their job by dissing long timers before the sheet hits the fan
richard6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #27

Insurance is always a challenge, especially when I live in the Sierra mountains. I have Ameriprise through Costco and no other company has come close. I do not know if they do motor homes. They don’t do homeowners in my area. During the last 5 years my place has been uninsured because the companies all think that 2 years is long enough for construction. But if you build by yourself with just help from DW and you make the cabinets, doors, countertops and everything else yourself it takes longer. Finally I joined AARP and got coverage through Hartford who allowed me 120 days to get a final from the county. They offered an auto and truck policy that was within $30.mo. of Ameriprise with of course the homeowners combined. So far I am sticking with Ameriprise because even though I got the blessing from the county building department, I can’t get the actual certificate of occupancy until Cal-Fire does their inspection and they are too busy to even call me back. They did an inspection when I built my workshop but now they want to do another but are not staffed well enough to enforce their own rules.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #28

For our cars we use Wawanesa which only insures "good drivers". We've been with them for years. Last year they changed from a yearly policy to a renew every six month policy. We should have seen it coming....every six months the renewal goes up, the latest went up $80 bucks. I never corelated insurance rates with age. The home owners policy is with Farmers and at my yearly renewal my agent said he couldn't come close to Wawanesa in price. I'm still going to shop around. Thanks for posting this as a reminder.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
What are people's claim experience with Geico? I've heard that they really nickel and dime you and insist on aftermarket parts for repairs.

When my son was a teenage driver, they refused to cover him on my policy, even though we had no claim history. I have never forgotten that and will never ever use them. I even change the channel when their ads come on.
I actually had a great experience with GEICO when I wrecked my BMW motorcycle. I took it to a BMW dealer, when they took it apart and found more damage GEICO paid it, no questions asked. All new BMW parts were installed. The dealer said they don't repair, they replaced, GEICO paid out about $8k.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I would never put a plug-in thingy in one of my vehicles. They will use the information against you if it benefits them.
X2. This will not help you.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
USAA for everything except for the RV which they don't write.
USAA will cover travel trailers, just not motor homes...or motorcycles...

You do have to be very specific when speaking with the agent so they understand you have a travel trailer, not a "RV" which they think is a motor home, and will get you sent off to "Flo Land"...
Old 07-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #32

My best insurance experience ever was with AMICA. When my son was hit head on, they stepped in immediately and when the "at fault" persons insurance called me, I already had a check in my hand for the totaled car.

I left them later because of an employee discount on another company which did the same thing Iggys insurance did.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post

You do have to be very specific when speaking with the agent so they understand you have a travel trailer, not a "RV" which they think is a motor home, and will get you sent off to "Flo Land"...
I have a motorcycle covered with them. I did let them know I was insuring a travel trailer.

My motorcycle is likely grand fathered in like one of my boats is.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I am glad you posted. I called USAA and they ARE going to insure it. I reduced my yearly insurance by over $120. It is now covered by USAA!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #35

John,
You didn't mention where you are . I am curious as Geico is doing the same to me and they tell mel it's a Florida increase due to claim frequencies.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #36

Quote:
I have a motorcycle covered with them. I did let them know I was insuring a travel trailer.

My motorcycle is likely grand fathered in like one of my boats is.
Check your policy, USAA uses progressive as an underwriter for motorcycles. I haven't heard of grandfathering a vehicle in, I got a notice that my motorcycles would be changed to progressive. I won't have progressive and went with GEICO.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #37

I'll just put in a plug for Esurance .com...completely on line company...a division of Allstate. Dumped Geico and searched for the best rates and they were it about 6 months ago. Website is easy and excellent for both sign up and any other needs.
Got best motorcoach rate at Foremost...
And still with Geico on the 'cycles.
I check all over anytime any INS company tries to raise my rates without reason. They have no loyalty...and neither do I.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Check your policy, USAA uses progressive as an underwriter for motorcycles. I haven't heard of grandfathering a vehicle in, I got a notice that my motorcycles would be changed to progressive. I won't have progressive and went with GEICO.
It's absolutely with USAA as is my boat. Just looked at both of them.

I know they don't write new boat policies anymore. My other boat is with BoatUS. They farm out the insurance on a yearly basis. BoatUS just acts as the broker.

Out of curiosity, why won't you have Progressive?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #39

Quote:
2 cars 3 and 4 years old
Basic Full Coverage
50/100/50
$1,000 medial
$500 deductible
So that is it.

50/100/50
$5,000 medical
$500 deductible

Annual saving of $504

BYE BYE GEICO

I would be happy, happy, happy if my rate was that cheap. I have a 2012 Silverado, a 2013 Mercedes and a 2015 Cedar Creek fifth wheel. My insurance is $1200 every six months. But I have more coverage. I have 100,000/250,000/500,000. I have uninsured/underinsured at the same rates. To many people where I live that don’t have insurance or to little insurance. I have 100 dollar deductible. My camper insurance cost more than my truck insurance
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #40

Quote:
It's absolutely with USAA as is my boat. Just looked at both of them.

I know they don't write new boat policies anymore. My other boat is with BoatUS. They farm out the insurance on a yearly basis. BoatUS just acts as the broker.

Out of curiosity, why won't you have Progressive?
Bad experience, I had progressive and was hit by another who had progressive. I was sent a check and was told the matter was closed. I was told by a body shop around Dalton, Ga. that they wouldn't work on it with progressive, said if more damage was found progressive wouldn't pay. They had too many times a car taken apart that progressive wouldn't pay for and the owner couldn't afford to pay either. I couldn't find any shop that would repair it for the price of the check. I got a friend of a friend to fix it and I got rid of the car.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR