Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Looking for advice on upgrading TV

I bought my truck in October of this year, 2010 GMC 1500, wanting to get a 2500 preferably a diesel. I have no equity in my truck besides my trade in which wasn't much. I know alot of ppl on here wheel and deal alot and I'm looking for the best advice you can offer. I bought the horse before the cart type thing, nothing wrong with my truck actually pulls my TT fine, but the time is right(I think) to go ahead and get a heftier truck for the future, plus we are wanting to do cross country trips and I would feel more comfortable doing it in a bigger diesel(once again, I think). My truck is in mint cond. with ton's of upgrades including the heavy tow options and below average mileage. Ok, go ahead and give it to me.

2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

I don't really think

you will go wrong with a diesel from any of the big 3. Be prepared to pay a LOT for it, don't expect the same fuel mileage diesels were getting 10 years ago (most people I've talked to say 20% less economy, give or take) and recognize that since the addition of all of the exhaust emission control equipment you will have to buy DEF (I think the Dodge may not require this??)- and I would be prepared for even more cost to maintain in the future than the elevated repair and maintenance earlier diesels have been know for. With that said- I haven't been in any of the newer ones, but the torque these things are putting out is impressive and I bet they will tow like crazy.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Back when I bought my truck in '06, diesel option was another $5000. Figured at 2.50 gal., would take 135,000 miles to break even. At that time my 5th wheel had a dry weight of 4200 lbs., and truck had no problem pulling it no matter where I was. New 5th wheel has a dry weight of 6400. No problems on the flatlands, but wouldn't mind a little more pulling power in the mountains.
Other than the big three, what else is there for a diesel? Not an expert, but seems like I read somewhere that Dodge will need def in 2013.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

Diesel is a $7500 option for the Chevy.

But you are not buying a deisel truck for an ROI on fuel cost. It just isn't there unless you are racking up many, many miles.

You buy an HD deisel truck for: a) The load you are towing simply exceeds that of a gas truck (so therefore, no choice) or (b) you want the extra safety margin, confidence in towing that drivetrain provides.

I bought my truck for cash. So I'm not fretting that outlay each month. So to me, I'm saving each week by about 6 mpg over a similar gas truck. That does add up with the 30k miles I'm doing a year.

As far as deals go, I can't offer you alot of advice. Deals for all cars and trucks are just not as prevalent as they were a few years ago. Rebates are skimpy. You may snag a deal on a left over or something with an unusual option combination or maybe an unpopular color combination, but that is about it. If shopping used, I don't think I'd be too put off by a high mileage desiel truck. These engines are good for alot of miles if maintained adequately. So you might be able to get a bargain on something with miles on it.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

If you have little to no equity, best bet would be to try and sell it private party and then buy a used diesel private party. Or hang on to it until you have enough equity for a down payment on another vehicle.

If you deal with the dealer, just going to get further in the hole. A dealer has to make money to stay in business, however private party is usually willing to accept a loss as part of ownership. I always try and make sure I can sell something if I ever get in a jam. If you were to trade your truck in and take a further hit, it would be a sketchy situation owning a 40-50k truck you couldn't sell if need be.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

The way I see it the best thing you can do is take your time and get 2 or 3 dealers bidding against each other. Go to the first and get the best deal you can. Take that to the next dealer and see if they will beat it, so on and so on. Make sure it's an out the door price because they will try to add on extras (dealer fee, ect) after a price is decided on. You want to be comparing apples to apples.

There is also the used option. There's ton of good used diesels out there and you won't lose $5k when you drive it off the lot.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony View Post
Other than the big three, what else is there for a diesel? Not an expert, but seems like I read somewhere that Dodge will need def in 2013.
I wasn't implying there was another option, simply stating that you should not be swayed by the brand loyalists out there trying to convince you to go with a particular brand over the others. As far as pulling a load goes, no gas engine in a truck is going to touch a diesel other than the Ecoboost. It has nothing to do with max HP or torque, it has to do with the location of the torque curve. Unless you like to rev to 4K or so while towing, you aren't seeing your peak output from a gas engine. As for the investment, others that have chimed in are right in saying you will likely never seen an ROI- until you sell it one day. I have a 97 Ford F250 with 7.3 with 250K that is in excellent condition that would likely bring $5k+ on the market. If it had a gas engine, it would likely have been scrapped by now- or almost worthless.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha
I bought my truck in October of this year, 2010 GMC 1500, wanting to get a 2500 preferably a diesel. I have no equity in my truck besides my trade in which wasn't much. I know alot of ppl on here wheel and deal alot and I'm looking for the best advice you can offer. I bought the horse before the cart type thing, nothing wrong with my truck actually pulls my TT fine, but the time is right(I think) to go ahead and get a heftier truck for the future, plus we are wanting to do cross country trips and I would feel more comfortable doing it in a bigger diesel(once again, I think). My truck is in mint cond. with ton's of upgrades including the heavy tow options and below average mileage. Ok, go ahead and give it to me.
I'd consider off loading the gasser sooner than later due to get the best resale dollar whether you trade in or sell privately while it's newer.

Also, for the best bang per dollar consider shopping for a good used diesel, preferably a private sale...you'll have many trucks to choose from when going this route.

Like you, I had a great newer 3/4 ton gasser that did it's job towing 9500lbs until the mts came along! Then we wanted to upgrade our rv so I went diesel to solve all the limitations we didn't like with the gasser...you won't be disappointed
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #9

For some reason when I read the title to this thread, I thought someone was getting a new television. Oh wait, they're talking about a tow vehicle. Duh!!

It's much more exciting to get a new tow vehicle than a new television. Sorry I can't help with advice about your options.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #10

When I got my 2011, diesel, F250, CC, long bed, RWD, XLT, the diesel option listed on the window sticker was $7,850. Good luck, I had been looking for seven months and the used ones were way to much for all of the miles that they had on them, just try ebay and you will see what I am talking about. Almost $30,000 for one with over 100,000 or more miles. I know that the diesel will last for along time and many miles miles but how about the rest of the truck?
After looking for those seven months, I got what I was looking for for $39,125 and that was the very best that I could do anywere. I do love the truck. They are much better than they used to be, no noise, no smell and the DEF is not a problem at about $11 at Walmart for 2.5 gals which I use each 5,000 or more miles. The Chevs also us it now and I am told that the Dodge's will next year. The diesels from Dodge are made in Mexico if that matter to you. Good Luck and Happy Trails