Old 09-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Looking to buy a Surveyor 226RBDS

I apologize if some of this is basic as I am brand new to TT's and looking to buy a Surveyor 226RBDS. I live in Las Vegas and Blue Dog is the only dealer here. When I called them they stated they don't know when they could or can get one in and immediately attempted to push me to two other manufacturer TT's, neither of which was anything like this one. Nielson RV up in St. George, UT has their phone disconnected when I tried to call them being the next closest. So I then called the West Coast contact (Robert) for Forest River directly who gave me two SoCal locations to call, both are about 4-5 hours away minimum. Is this the norm? I would have expected it wouldn't be so difficult to try to buy a TT. Even Robert from Forest River ended our conversation saying "Good luck" when I expressed my concern about how its surprisingly difficult to buy their product.

Buying from somewhere far means I won't have a local dealer for warranty work so how would that work if I did need something done that would be covered? I'm handy and able to do most work myself but if its something under warranty I would expect to have someone else take care of it under the warranty coverage.

I technically live in both Las Vegas and the Philadelphia area and have my vehicles registered in Pennsylvania (license from there as well) so I assume I'd be registering this there.

Since I can't get a dealer to talk with me so far I had some questions relating to factory options and things like that as well based on my reading the paperwork online of the series. It looks like the LE Value Package comes with all and the Surveyor Value Package would come as well with this unit? Where the Fall Program Package is an optional upgrade? Based on whats in each package I would want the items from all three it looks like.

- There are two Air Conditioning options and it isn't exactly clear from what I am reading. A 13.5K thats standard and a 15K thats optional as an upgrade? Though theres also mention of a complete secondary unit for the bedroom. Is a second unit needed? I assume its based on where I would have it (exterior temps) to know if I would need the added capacity?
- Is it worth upgrading the mattress to the one with the comfort form and eurotop or do I get the basic mattress and look third party to buy a comfortable one?
- Electric Stabilizer Jacks - not included in any package by the looks of it and I would assume yes I want them.
- Equa-Flex Suspension - is it worth it vs going aftermarket and upgrading the suspension?
- Flip down bike/utility rack - I'd consider bringing my bicycle with me on trips
- Roof ladder - At some point I plan on tinkering with solar on the roof and figure its cheaper to get the ladder now than later - and to allow me to clean off the roof easier if I need to get up there?
- Arctic Package - I'll be traveling across the country and staying in Pennsylvania and other cold locations - not necessarily Arctic though. Is this worth it?
- Both Small and Large Slide Out Toppers - from what I understand this is a no question, yes do it from friends who have various RV's and TT's.

Whatever dealer ends up working with me is going to have the easiest time as it seems I am going to end up having the options and details all decided before I even walk in the door.

smokey7722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Team

First, there are far fewer Surveyor dealers out West, than other FR brands, like Rockwood.
Second, you don't have to go to the selling dealer for warranty work. FR can suggest other local dealers. Or you can use an independent RV shop/mobile RV tech, you just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, there are far fewer Surveyor dealers out West, than other FR brands, like Rockwood.
Second, you don't have to go to the selling dealer for warranty work. FR can suggest other local dealers. Or you can use an independent RV shop/mobile RV tech, you just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
I'm finding that about the Surveyor's pretty quick in regards to who sells them. It doesn't help that this is a West Coast version too so even fewer dealers carry this model.

I figured selling dealer wasn't an issue but I assumed that it would need to be a dealer who sold the Surveyors but I guess thats not the case. Good to know I am not limited to FR dealers, thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Team

There are a few Surveyor West dealers in Oregon and Washington. Can't recommend one but I see way more Surveyors up here, than in California where I used to live.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There are a few Surveyor West dealers in Oregon and Washington. Can't recommend one but I see way more Surveyors up here, than in California where I used to live.
Yup i think i may end up in that region. The FR rep have me two places in SoCal as well to reach out to. Just seems odd how difficult it is to find them.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey7722 View Post
Yup i think i may end up in that region. The FR rep have me two places in SoCal as well to reach out to. Just seems odd how difficult it is to find them.
I agree but they haven't been making Surveyors in Oregon very long. Maybe they'll increase their number of Western dealerships after some time since they can save money on shipping costs for the other brands made in the Midwest.
Equalizer WDH
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #7

Bay RV in Maryland

Bay RV in northeastern Maryland is an outstanding Surveyor Dealer. We bought our 200MBLE last March from them. They are 80 miles from Philadelphia. Great service and PDA. they are taking care of my warrentee issue without a question (front paint job is know problem). I recommend them.
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreMark View Post
Bay RV in northeastern Maryland is an outstanding Surveyor Dealer. We bought our 200MBLE last March from them. They are 80 miles from Philadelphia. Great service and PDA. they are taking care of my warrentee issue without a question (front paint job is know problem). I recommend them.
Thanks. Since this is a West model they can't get it (just spoke with them actually).
FR only sells West models to West dealers. Thanks for the recommendation though! Glad to hear good stories about a service dept as well, so far all I read are bad ones.

Tags
surveyor