Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Membership has it's privileges?...

Still in the 'working stiff' phase of my life but not for long...retirement (and 1/2timing it!) are a couple of years away...so I am paying more attention to the posts in the long term camping forums...

Reading the thread about electricity payments and so forth for 2+ weeks of camping and then saw the comments on Thousand Trails campground membership.

Zone Camping Pass | Discount RV Camping | RV Resorts

$525.00 for a year of camping in one zone? AND "for a limited time, get 2nd zone free"

I know there are some forum members that are also members of thousand trails - would love to hear your thoughts on the campground membership (it sounds almost too good to be true) if not though, looks like I need to budget $525/year for our RV expenses

TIA for any info!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Always Learning

Thousand Trails (and all discount clubs for that matter) come down to a few decisions:

1) Do I like the parks and their locations? Meaning - is it your type of "camping"? I know people who hate "RV Parks". I also know other people who will only camp in TT parks because it's prepaid.

2) About how many nights per year will I "use the system"? Remember - it's only a good deal *if you use it*.

3) What will your yearly dues be? And what will your per night cost work out to be? Is it a better rate than other private or public parks?

More on my blog - Is Thousand Trails Right for You?. I've also blogged reviews about a few of the parks in the system. I've been to more, just haven't written them up yet.

Personally, I'm a fan. The RV park lifestyle fits our travel plans often and we usually try to hit TT parks when we can. Including my yearly dues and non-TT campground stays, my last 2 years of camping have averaged out to something like $17/night which is far cheaper than I'd be able to camp near me without it.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

We also have a membership in Deer Creek/Fawn Ridge in Davenport, FL which you buy title into for anywhere from a portion of a yrs maintenance fee ($536) upwards which entitles you to 2 weeks in-1 week out-2 weeks in, etc. It is for only that location. Gated, fully fenced campground, level concrete pad, patio & drive. Full hook ups and $2/night for 50/30A service.

index2
Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Always Learning

The catches are- it's not unlimited camping. The zone passes are good for 40 nights/year, I believe. After that, your nightly rate is $3/night. I'm not sure of this 2-zone passes for the price of one means you get 80 nights or still just 40.

Secondly, there is a 14-day in/7-day out rule. Meaning- you can stay at a single park for 14-days at a time (I think OldCoot's 21-days at non-peak times is an upgraded membership, but I'm not sure). When you leave that park, you have to be out of the TT park system entirely for 7-nights. The finer point/catch of it is- the 7-night out rule is imposed as soon as you stay 4-nights at one location.

You can, of course, upgrade your membership to Elite status for a variety of upgrades (longer stays in non-peak times) and other things; but the biggest thing is it allows you to go park to park. Meaning, you could spend 4+ nights at one location and immediately go to another TT park in the system with no nights out.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The catches are- it's not unlimited camping. The zone passes are good for 40 nights/year, I believe. After that, your nightly rate is $3/night. I'm not sure of this 2-zone passes for the price of one means you get 80 nights or still just 40.

Secondly, there is a 14-day in/7-day out rule. Meaning- you can stay at a single park for 14-days at a time (I think OldCoot's 21-days at non-peak times is an upgraded membership, but I'm not sure). When you leave that park, you have to be out of the TT park system entirely for 7-nights. The finer point/catch of it is- the 7-night out rule is imposed as soon as you stay 4-nights at one location.

You can, of course, upgrade your membership to Elite status for a variety of upgrades (longer stays in non-peak times) and other things; but the biggest thing is it allows you to go park to park. Meaning, you could spend 4+ nights at one location and immediately go to another TT park in the system with no nights out.
Yes, we have the Platinum membership, which gives us 21 days in one park and immediately go to another park for 21 days. We use to go from Orlando to Peace River (Wauchula) and back for the 3 months. About 80 miles between the parks. Orlando and Hershey are the nicest TT parks we've visited in the 7 yrs we've been members. Forest Lake is our home park and when we joined it was pretty nice, but has rapidly gone down hill. We don't go there anymore except on very rare occasions for 2 or 3 night stays. Only 60 miles from home.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Doug,

Thanks for the tips! My 'day job' until retirement is a research scientist so, yes, the geek in me is already designing a cost benefit analysis spreadsheet

I was talking to DW over lunch and we did a back of the envelope 'when we retire' calculation and came out to @ $17/night as well. (Not too bad when you consider KOA/Private camps are ~$25 (yes I realize that National park dry sites are free - and I will use them as well when I retire!)

We think your blog said it best: "tools in the quiver"

Like you, we see the 14 night in/7 night out as the "catch"

Costing info on the TT site is a tad sparse...gotit - the One Zone membership is $525.00 but what, for example, is the additional cost for elite status so we can avoid the 14 nigh in / 7 night out?
And while you are at it the cost for the National zone plan?
(Although i think what would be most practical is get a Elite 2 zone East one year and a Elite 2 Zone West the next to minimize road miles (see I told you I over analyze everything
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

We have the Lifetime membership which is no longer available and is transferable. Look on eBay or Google for TT memberships for a possible discount. We paid $4999 for the original membership and $4999 for the upgrade to Platinum. For us staying 130 -140 days a year ave. for 7 yrs is pretty reasonable at $14.50 per night. We have stayed more than 140 nights some years.

Now, disregarding the initial membership costs, we pay $1062/yr in membership and stay about 125 nights total for a cost of approx. $8.50/night which is reasonable while we (as our 2 boys say) "are out pi--ing away our inheritance"

http://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-a...nal-membership
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Always Learning

When I explored upgrading my membership (a national membership) to an Elite membership, the cost was $4,000. I would have explored the resale market but I'm currently locked into a 4 or 5 year commitment (which is not the case with zone membership; just when you upgrade to the bigger membership levels). I have a "hand me down" membership from dad & step-mom.

The parks have been overwhelmingly "decent" IMO. As OC said, Hershey and Orlando are shining stars but we haven't had a bad experience yet (even at Circle M in Lancaster, PA which I have heard others complain about). I've only been to 7 or 8 TT parks now, mostly near me.