Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Microlite 23lb owners?

I am new to this site and would greatly appreciate info. from microlite 23lb owners (or anyone for that matter). We are considering trading our pup for a 2011 microlite 23lb, curious what people think of them after camping in them...we are 2 adults and 2 dogs (Aussie. Shep./approx. 45lbs each). We may have an occasional friend or niece/nephew with us...but we can always stay in the tent--like old times! Our biggest reservation with the microlite is the fiberglass construction...delamination scares the crap out of us!!! Are we just overthinking this??
Also has anyone had trouble with the front window leaking? just curious...and are the bunks (triple in the one we are considering) really useful...we figure we can use for storeage most of the time...we do not have kids or plans for kids right now....but would like to be able to have a child and use this camper if we want later...
We are outside most of the time when camping...we want a tt for sleeping and rainy days. We will mostly do 3-4 day trips and long weekends; relatively close to home 1-4 hour trips...but would also like something to take an occasional vacation in to the beach etc. if we so desire...
One more question...does anyone know if this roof is walkable...couldn't find in lit.
any thoughts are appreciated!
beanpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Can't help you with any info on the microlite but wanted to Welcome you to the forums!!
There is plenty of expertise available here so I'm sure you will be able to get all your questions answered.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

well, we have the 23lb on order, but we got the murphy bed option and we did not get the triple bunks, you get more storage withouth the bottom bunk, and actually the bottom bunk was more like for a pet, much smaller then the other two bunks. as for the construction... not sure what scares you about it, havent camped in it yet to see how it goes. good luck!
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

We just took delivery on the 23rd of March of our 2012 23FB and are going on our first outing this weekend. The roof is walkable ,I just spent yesterday afternoon installing my MaxxAir covers on the roof vent and Fantastic fan with no problem. If I remember right it will hold a 350 lb person no problem. Can't help you with the front window , ours has the Murphy bed . We've had lots of rain since we brought it home and the forcast is for rain this weekend ,so far so good we have not found any leaks. We'll post some pictures from this weekend .
abrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
(Kim)

I ordered a 2306, which is the exact same trailer.

I have heard of concerns in regards to leakage at the window, from other brands, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If it starts to leak sometime down the line......I will deal with it then.

I just like having the front window =]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

I have a 2306 - which is the same model and have camped in it -

My front window has not leaked - just check the seal and recaulk if need be but no leaks so far and it has rained pretty good the past few days here.

I am used to sleeping on a pillow top mattress at home -
feels like a nice bed but I wake up with my back hurting - I purchased a memory foam pillow topper to take care of that.

since you have no children you could use the facilities at the park instead of inside the trailer.
the bathroom is ok and the shower is kinda tight but add a curved shower rod and it will give you a little more room provided neither of you is taller then 6 foot - my head is almost in the sky light - I have to use my bathroom since I am a single dad of a 4 year old

Overall I am happy with the 2306 - just had to modify it to fit my needs.

the bunks are descent - my daughter loves the middle and top.
I plan on using the bottom for storage if I dont have company staying with us.

I am not complaing - just letting know some possible things you might not like.

With two big dogs it might be a tight fit - a slide out would come in handy in this scenario

Also be-aware that if you get the storm window option - it is a frame with a piece of plexy glass to cover your existing windows and makes all the windows unusable except the emergency exit.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

We just took delivery of our 23 lb last week. We have had rain, sleet, and snow since then and I checked all the caulking with a flash light (felt like CSI) and there was no leakage anywhere, not even the front window.

We slept in it last Friday, my two sons 11 and 7 fit in the bunks just fine and our 2 dogs (beagle 30 pounds, dachsund 15 pounds) slept with us. Ditto on the mattress, just put some memory foam down tonight and going to try it again this Friday.

The heater works well and the boys stayed warm, but it is loud and dang near gave me a heart attack

I will give you more info after mother's day, that will be our first test, hope this helps.
Nights camped in 2011 = 17
Nights camped in 2012 = 4, 10 more planned
Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpup View Post
I am new to this site and would greatly appreciate info. from microlite 23lb owners (or anyone for that matter). We are considering trading our pup for a 2011 microlite 23lb, curious what people think of them after camping in them...we are 2 adults and 2 dogs (Aussie. Shep./approx. 45lbs each). We may have an occasional friend or niece/nephew with us...but we can always stay in the tent--like old times! Our biggest reservation with the microlite is the fiberglass construction...delamination scares the crap out of us!!! Are we just overthinking this??
Also has anyone had trouble with the front window leaking? just curious...and are the bunks (triple in the one we are considering) really useful...we figure we can use for storeage most of the time...we do not have kids or plans for kids right now....but would like to be able to have a child and use this camper if we want later...
We are outside most of the time when camping...we want a tt for sleeping and rainy days. We will mostly do 3-4 day trips and long weekends; relatively close to home 1-4 hour trips...but would also like something to take an occasional vacation in to the beach etc. if we so desire...
One more question...does anyone know if this roof is walkable...couldn't find in lit.
any thoughts are appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of useful information on this forum.

We are very pleased with our 2011 Flagstaff M/L 23LB.

We have the 2 bunk option with the storage below. We (2 adults, 1 child and 2 scottish terriers) are very comfortable inside. This camper is a nice step up for us and it offers plenty of storage, comfortable sleeping arrangements, and roomy enough when needing to hang out in inclement weather.

So far we have 5 nights camping in the trailer. We're adding a few touches to make it fit our needs...

When we purchased the camper, I imagined taking the doors off the storage under the bunks for the dogs. It seems the dogs have already chosen their sleeping spots. One on the floor on my side of the bed and the other under the table (when it's elevated).

Good luck with this decision. Moving from a pop up to a tt was a great move for us. there was a lot more storage for our goodies and loading / setting up the camper was breeze by comparison.

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

I have 23fbs same as yours with a slide. I spend 2-3 months at a time in it. I have a queen bed (no murphy). The mattress is great with 2 in memory foam from walmart. I'm 6 ft 295 lbs. The shower is tight. I use my bathroom, thats why I have it. I've been to some campgrounds that were great but the bathrooms were not. My front window does not leak. I will say this. Make sure you put lock tight on the screws that hold the ft window cover on. My cover the screws were loose from the factory. While traveling from Fl to CT the cover blew upward causing it to bend. Forest River had to replace my whole window as you can't just get the cover. They did warranty it and I had it for over 1 year. I was surprised as they could have said it was my fault. I'm very happy with it. Like everyone will say it could be bigger. Easy to tow and handle around town. Good Luck
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #10

Darren,
Is the storage under your bunks access. from the outside? or is that area divided into inside cab. and outside storage? We have not seen that floorplan in person, just pictures...and we were unsure if that area would be divided.
My thoughts were that the bottom could be for the dogs (which in reality will probably lie on either side of the bed...) or without the cab. doors easier to slide totes into...but we also would have liked some outside storage on the backside of the camper; however the front storage is nice size and you can't have it all right?!
Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #11

Thanks to all for the insight!!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
(Kim)

Quote:
Darren,
Is the storage under your bunks access. from the outside? or is that area divided into inside cab. and outside storage? We have not seen that floorplan in person, just pictures...and we were unsure if that area would be divided.
My thoughts were that the bottom could be for the dogs (which in reality will probably lie on either side of the bed...) or without the cab. doors easier to slide totes into...but we also would have liked some outside storage on the backside of the camper; however the front storage is nice size and you can't have it all right?!
Thanks
I have ordered the 2306 and it is my understanding that if you get the cabinet option in lieu of a 3rd bunk, you will have access to it from the outside; if you get the 3rd bunk there is no access.

I ordered it with the bunk, hoping my dog (70lb Lab) will sleep there.
(she is black, and easy to step on/trip over when it is dark)

I pack really light (unusual for a woman xD) but either way, if needed, the area can be used for storage bins or whatever you choose.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Darren,
Thanks
The lower bunk / storage area in our 23LB has an outside access door -- but we have the cabinets below. If this were a 3rd bunk, it would be a nice area for doggie or storage bins. We currently use the area for fold-up chairs, table and the astro-turf lawn - don't you know!

The pass-thru storage area in the font of the camper is HUGE by comparison to what we've been used-to. If you choose to have a doggie 'chill pad' in place of the 3rd bunk storage area, you should have plenty of other storage options!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Darren
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #14

Good to see positive reviews, this trailer looks like it would fit our family well (me+wife+kid+dog).

There is one on ebay for $13k:

NEW 2011 23LB Lite Travel Trailer Bunks NEVER Used! | eBay

Looks like the best deal for a new 23' TT I have seen anywhere!
PokerMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #15

make sure you check out the shipping on that, and there is no murphy bed on that one either
gear ratio
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #16

I'd go pick it up and see some family out in Iowa.

Just started looking for a TT, never owned one before, but I'd like a new one for under $15k with a queen and two bunk beds and keep it under 25' (never pulled a trailer before, so this will be enough!)

My tow vehicle would be a 2007 Durango 4x4 5.7 3.55 that is rated at 7400 with the towing package. But I'd like to keep it under 6k fully loaded due to the mountains around here.

What does the murphy bed look like? I can't find any pictures of it.

From my research, the 23lb seems to fit our needs the best.

Great forum here!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Good to see positive reviews, this trailer looks like it would fit our family well (me+wife+kid+dog).

There is one on ebay for $13k:

NEW 2011 23LB Lite Travel Trailer Bunks NEVER Used! | eBay

Looks like the best deal for a new 23' TT I have seen anywhere!

We purchased our 23LB from Cheyenne RV center... in Wolcott IA. We worked with Kevin and had a wonderful experience.

Its a great camper at a great value. The 23LB meets our needs well!

Good luck on your decision.

Darren
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #18

we got the murphy bed option, it is exactly what we are looking for, if i can find a picture of it, i will PM you a link. it really saves a ton of room when the bed is up, since there is a sofa under the bed when its up.
gear ratio
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtovn View Post
make sure you check out the shipping on that, and there is no murphy bed on that one either
Yes, that is a base model. But a good price too. We got the Rockwood 2306 with the following options added for $14,700 from our local dealership. RV Direct and RVW were ~$500 less, even with shipping.

Murphy Bed
2 Bunk option w/bottom storage
Gas Oven
Power Awning
14" Tires w/Double Step

AND local dealership peace of mind.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
Yes, that is a base model. But a good price too. We got the Rockwood 2306 with the following options added for $14,700 from our local dealership. RV Direct and RVW were ~$500 less, even with shipping.

Murphy Bed
2 Bunk option w/bottom storage
Gas Oven
Power Awning
14" Tires w/Double Step

AND local dealership peace of mind.
Wow, that's a great price with those options. I'll have go to get numbers from some local dealers.

Are you guys financing these for 10 years? What kind of rate do you normally get on a TT, with excellent credit? Under 8%?

Tags
23lb