Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Minor accident with a tractor trailer? Always call cops.

On our drive home to Fl from picking up our brand new work & play in Ga we pulled over at a Pilot gas station. When we were leaving we stopped at a stop sign on the access road leading into the Pilot gas station. We were sitting behind a truck waiting for him to turn left. A tractor trailer turned into us and caused minor damage to the rear drivers side corner of our brand new camper. He hit us pretty hard so our whole rig rocked. Luckily we have no injuries. He stopped for a minute, I got out of my truck, got a good look at his rig, then he took off. We found him after we turned around. He argued that he didn't hit us until I showed him the damage, he then apologized and gave me all his insurance info. I also got a copy of his DL. When we got home we called his insurance company and filed a claim. They are denying the claim because the driver said he didn't hit us and we didn't think to get any statements from witnesses. We also didn't call the police because the damage looked minor and there were no injuries. We have progressive so we are covered for the damage but we are probably out our $1000 deductible. Our son is an insurance broker in Texas and told us (when we called him later that day) that tractor trailer insurance companies are notorious for trying to get out of paying claims.

Moral of the story - always call the police and immediately find witnesses even on minor accidents with a tractor trailer!

Mods - I'm not sure this is the correct category so please move if incorrect.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

The problem with that scenario is in a lot of states when it's a minor accident with no injuries the police are not coming. Here in PA if your in some jurisdiction covered by a local department you stand a chance of getting an officer to show, but if it's the state police good luck. The first questions they ask is if there are injuries or Its blocking traffic. Don't answer yes and you're on your own.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Pictures, pictures, pictures. That's just about all one can do in the heat of the moment. I stopped in front of a store for traffic in front of me and a escalade whipped around to pass of course not looking for pedestrians and she bumped my rear bumper. I jumped out of the truck to get her license plate and she stopped. She got out and her first words were "I didn't hit your truck"! All I could say was then why did you stop? Pictures, pictures, pictures.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I would believe your insurance company (or someone) shouldn't have a hard time proving fault since you have the truck drivers insurance information and a copy of his drivers license. Why else would you have that information if he didn't surrender the information willingly? To me, that is no longer your word against his.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

I would ask the insurance company "If he didn't hit me, why did he provide his insurance and drivers licence information?"
Someone only provides that to another party when they been in an accident.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Some states are "No Fault" you pay for your own! Youroo!!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

We did all of the above. We have pictures and we spent hours on the phone and an email chain saying the exact thing you all have said. Makes sense right? My son said unfortunately this is a common ending with truck insurance companies. What generally happens is they deny the claim and then your insurance pays, then your ins goes after the truckers insurance. Unfortunately our damage was only a few thousand dollars so I doubt our insurance will bother. IF we had witness statements it would have been easier. The dirtbag insurance adjuster actually said in response to the question of why would he have given me his license and insurance info, "all drivers are required to give out that information if asked regardless of whether there is an accident or not and doesn't prove he hit you." We were on the way home from picking up a BRAND NEW TRAILER hours before so I asked him to explain how we have damage when we had literally just picked it up from the dealer hours before. It didn't matter. This is why I am saying with a tractor trailer no injury accident no matter what, get witness contact info and try to get police to come out.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Maybe a video of the correspondence would help.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

I guess integrity is almost gone.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

I would think by the fact driver gave you his info, he's saying he hit you, he seen you stop an he left, that's hit an run, mention hit an run an maybe co. Will change there tune
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Exclamation Dash Camera?

The dash camera is the way to go! If you would have had one, it would have been a done deal.

The one I have will even detect a hit when you're parked with the vehicle is off, and will record the hit.

They aren't that expensive either!

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
longhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #12

I'm so sorry this happened to you. As a retired insurance worker, yep... he's right. Let your Progressive subrogate against the at fault party. I hope you have smooth sailing the rest of the year.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

More and more people are getting video cameras for their vehicles. The clip on the rear view mirror. I think you just proved I need one! Thanks!
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #14

I think there was something about a camera on our GPS that I bought from Best Buy. But then I wouldn't want that thing on my dash all the time. I believe I look into the clip on one. Do you have a particular brand you like?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #15

How would a dash cam have recorded the truck hitting the OP's streetside rear corner of his trailer? Maybe if he had one mounted on the drivers door mirror facing back.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhunter View Post
The dash camera is the way to go! If you would have had one, it would have been a done deal.

The one I have will even detect a hit when you're parked with the vehicle is off, and will record the hit.

They aren't that expensive either!
I dont think a dash cam would help getting hit in the rear.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #17

Found out the hard way in NC last year. We got hit by 18 wheeler on passenger side as he was entering I40 at very high rate of speed, and of course he did not stop! Even with eyewinteness that stated the impact caused us to loss control of tow vehicle and 34 foot tt to flip, the best the NC cop would do was change the accident to no fault accident and move on. There was two things that came out, cop did not want to pursue truck as he arrived 20 minutes after fact, and did not want to waste his time in court. Second, in some states NC being one, the driver would have gotten his CDL suspended for a period of time. With a lot of pics of accident before I40 was cleared, two adjusters looking at each of the two vehicles, got fair settlement from both insurance companies after deductible. Purchased a newer model tv with less miles, and Good Sam's replace tt with 2017. Lucky myself or DW were seriously injured. Lesson learned, have good insurance in case you need it, and I do not leave home without my new dash camera.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #18

Enough on the stool about accident, would mention our insurances had dedectable against homeowners for replacement value of stuff in vehicle. Good Sams has a no dectuctable of $3000 for personal contents of tt. Message here is to keep receipts of your stuff that is of any value. With receipts for most of our stuff, both insurance companies turned out check fairly quick on items that we could remember. Missed a couple of smaller items so maybe an inventory sheet would be appropriate.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #19

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I dont think a dash cam would help getting hit in the rear.
The camera that I have does a feature that will indicate a hit any where on the vehicle. It also uses GPS to indicate the location of the incident.

The hit would have detected and when the semi passed the vehicle it hit, it would record the information of the truck that just hit you.

All that evidence could be shown to the police and used in court.

When buying a dash cam, check the features it offers.

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
longhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #20

File a police report now. You can file them at a later date. Hen you will have a police report for the insurance.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, trailer