Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #21

I was surprised when the clerk asked if i wanted permanent tags. I had never heard of them but for the cost, I said yes! The plate has a sticker with a P on it. I’ve had a couple people ask and they had no idea Mo went to these.
It saves me the time of renewing every 2 years. But the personal property tax is a killer every year.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #22

We live in South Dakota. Nice state, fairly reasonable taxes. No state income tax, 6.5% sales tax. Real estate taxes (state, county, schools, municipality, 911, etc) roughly 14.5 mils. We register 3 vehicles, one sxs atv, and 1 5ver toy hauler. All within 3 years of being new. Annual cost is 1K + change.
Here is what fries my patooty. If I buy a new truck for say, 60k, I have to pay 4% sales tax(reduced rate for vehicles and rvs), which is OK. BUT, if three years later, I sell same said truck to you for 45K, you now have to pay 4% sales tax to register said truck. AND if three years later you decide to give said truck to your son or daughter (it's six years old now), he or she would have to pay 4% sales tax on the NADA value of said truck! AND, this will go on from generation, to generation, until said truck ends up on bare rims out on a prairie where it last broke down, and now serves as shelter for a coyote and her babies.
Do any other states do this?
Anyway, I'm done. I apologize for using the "said" word so much. I am not a lawyer, barely made it thru high school, but I did watch alot of Law & Order at one time.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
We live in South Dakota. Nice state, fairly reasonable taxes. No state income tax, 6.5% sales tax. Real estate taxes (state, county, schools, municipality, 911, etc) roughly 14.5 mils. We register 3 vehicles, one sxs atv, and 1 5ver toy hauler. All within 3 years of being new. Annual cost is 1K + change.
Here is what fries my patooty. If I buy a new truck for say, 60k, I have to pay 4% sales tax(reduced rate for vehicles and rvs), which is OK. BUT, if three years later, I sell same said truck to you for 45K, you now have to pay 4% sales tax to register said truck. AND if three years later you decide to give said truck to your son or daughter (it's six years old now), he or she would have to pay 4% sales tax on the NADA value of said truck! AND, this will go on from generation, to generation, until said truck ends up on bare rims out on a prairie where it last broke down, and now serves as shelter for a coyote and her babies.
Do any other states do this?
Anyway, I'm done. I apologize for using the "said" word so much. I am not a lawyer, barely made it thru high school, but I did watch alot of Law & Order at one time.
Virginia is similar except you can give it to an immediate family member with no tax. But otherwise the sales tax 4.0 is due every time the vehicle is sold. When you trade you pay the full tax on the full purchase price of the new vehicle. The trade amount does not matter.......... Then there's the PP annual tax which amount varies county to county.

At least the trailer tag is permanent amount depending on weight. Think mine was $50 something.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Virginia is similar except you can give it to an immediate family member with no tax. But otherwise the sales tax 4.0 is due every time the vehicle is sold. When you trade you pay the full tax on the full purchase price of the new vehicle. The trade amount does not matter.......... Then there's the PP annual tax which amount varies county to county.

At least the trailer tag is permanent amount depending on weight. Think mine was $50 something.

Atleast in Missouri if you sell a vehicle within 180 days of purchasing the one the deduct/refund the difference in the taxes
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I have to add the any property I owe JAN 1 to my property tax assessment list if it is not already on their (or remove if it was sold prior). You can do this via a form they send you in the mail but I was in the area and decided to do it in person. This list is due by march 30. If you owned it Jan 1 you pay taxes on it, if you sold it December 31 then bought it back Jan 2, the person you sold it to owes taxes, but all sales are required to be reported

Then every November I get a bill due December 31 for taxes I owe.

They now take NADA value and divide by 3 then multiply that times your tax rate. So at a $26k value I would pay right at $605 for that year in taxes.

So every year you are being taxed on the current value of the property you owe.

This is anything with a title in MO and is separate from Lic, fees
cars
trucks
motorcycles
trailers
home made trailers ( mine was $5 the first year and is now 3 something)
boats
boat motors (outboards are titled separate)
4 wheelers
dirt bikes
airplanes....

It really is my only gripe about this state
I lived in Missouri in the 80's and paid 78 cents property tax on a pet goat. They tax everything!
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Life time trailer tags???? When did that happen? Why am I paying for tags every two years... (for 30 years)
Started about 3 years ago. You can now get a "permanent trailer" tag for 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers, but not for any type of bumper pull trailers, including travel trailers or utility trailers.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Started about 3 years ago. You can now get a "permanent trailer" tag for 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers, but not for any type of bumper pull trailers, including travel trailers or utility trailers.
Not true. Theres one on my bumper pull and my parents.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #28

I have one on my travel trailer.
tmaxx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I just had the joy standing in line for 20 minutes at the county tax assessors office to add my trailer purchased last spring to my taxes.

they say that they treat them just like a car and run the vin number and or year make and model through NADA for trade in value then do their "math" and come up with what you owe in taxes

so my question is where can I find this NADA value? I don't see any on NADA for less than 10 years old.

my trailer is a 2018 Coachman Catalina 283RKSLE
I'm wondering why you would go stand in line when you can just add it to your annual assessment? That's what we did, and we live in Missouri.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I'm wondering why you would go stand in line when you can just add it to your annual assessment? That's what we did, and we live in Missouri.
Because I had to pay my taxes anyway and refuse to pay online fees, so I go to the county office to do it. . In addition I have nerve damage in my hands that makes it impossible to write legibly in the small spaces on the form.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #31

Hmmm...not quite understanding, but I do understand about your damaged hands. We get an annual assessment every year, and if things don't change we check the little box and send it back in. Then I believe we get a tax bill around Dec. and pay that with a check sent to the county assessor. No online, no extra fees, no nothing but God forsaken taxes.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer