Old 02-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

MO property tax value / NADA trailer value

I just had the joy standing in line for 20 minutes at the county tax assessors office to add my trailer purchased last spring to my taxes.

they say that they treat them just like a car and run the vin number and or year make and model through NADA for trade in value then do their "math" and come up with what you owe in taxes

so my question is where can I find this NADA value? I don't see any on NADA for less than 10 years old.

my trailer is a 2018 Coachman Catalina 283RKSLE

quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I just had the joy standing in line for 20 minutes at the county tax assessors office to add my trailer purchased last spring to my taxes.

they say that they treat them just like a car and run the vin number and or year make and model through NADA for trade in value then do their "math" and come up with what you owe in taxes

so my question is where can I find this NADA value? I don't see any on NADA for less than 10 years old.

Go to nada. search ALL manufacturers. Search Coachman by Forrest River. I used my zipcode. Didn't have a list of options. I got this

$26,606

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #3

So I just figured it out, I was clicking on " Coachman" instread of "Coachman by F/R"

And that's what I'm afraid of. If they go off of that number its $7k more than I paid, or 35 percent too much. Guess Ill have to plan on disputing it, if I can.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Quote:

Is this an annual thing you get to do or simply a one time event?

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Is this an annual thing you get to do or simply a one time event?
I have to add the any property I owe JAN 1 to my property tax assessment list if it is not already on their (or remove if it was sold prior). You can do this via a form they send you in the mail but I was in the area and decided to do it in person. This list is due by march 30. If you owned it Jan 1 you pay taxes on it, if you sold it December 31 then bought it back Jan 2, the person you sold it to owes taxes, but all sales are required to be reported

Then every November I get a bill due December 31 for taxes I owe.

They now take NADA value and divide by 3 then multiply that times your tax rate. So at a $26k value I would pay right at $605 for that year in taxes.

So every year you are being taxed on the current value of the property you owe.

This is anything with a title in MO and is separate from Lic, fees
cars
trucks
motorcycles
trailers
home made trailers ( mine was $5 the first year and is now 3 something)
boats
boat motors (outboards are titled separate)
4 wheelers
dirt bikes
airplanes....

It really is my only gripe about this state
Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #6

Missouri State Tax ― Individual Income Tax

Missouri’s individual income tax rates (for single filers) are as follows:

1.5% on taxable income of $1,000 or less
2% on taxable income between $1,001 and $2,000
2.5% on taxable income between $2,001 and $3,000
3% on taxable income between $3,001 and $4,000
3.5% on taxable income between $4,001 and $5,000
4% on taxable income between $5,001 and $6,000
4.5% on taxable income between $6,001 and $7,000
5% on taxable income between $7,001 and $8,000
5.5% on taxable income between $8,001 and $9,000
$315 plus 6% on taxable income of $9,001 or more

And then they want personal property tax? WOW.

Many years ago when CT had NO INCOME TAX they got their bucks with a PP tax.

Dudes, one or the other, please!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #7

Oh, the joys of living in Missouri. We pay a bunch at the end of the year with our glorious Personal Property Tax, others pay a bunch when they license their vehicles.

When I lived in Nevada, my car registration was upwards of $200 a year, two year vehicle registration here in Missouri is something like $55 for two years. I thought that was cheap and great! But, I didn't know about the Personal Property Taxes that come due at the end of the year. When you figure out the yearly tax amount, it ends up hurting just as bad...

2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP
2007 Chevy Trailblazer
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
stlouielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 AM   #8

They get you somehow everywhere you are. I live in Johnson Co Kansas....the county sends an appraiser to view my trailer every year or two (at most) to evaluate the personal property taxes I need to pay in addition to license fees. If I change storage locations I have to tell them so they can drive by to evaluate. It is outside view only.

My home goes up every year (even the down years) and I am waiting to see an increase on the trailer.

Had to go to arbitration with the county appraiser on my house because they were selling them new for 10k less than my apprised value on the exact same floor plan.

Good luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #9

I sure am glad I live in Florida. Pay 6% tax when I buy it and done. Pay registration fee every year less than $100 for a license plate. No state income tax. Property taxes were $1100 this year. That was on the house and lot.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I sure am glad I live in Florida. Pay 6% tax when I buy it and done. Pay registration fee every year less than $100 for a license plate. No state income tax. Property taxes were $1100 this year. That was on the house and lot.

Enjoy that! Ohio is same for RVís - sales tax then just vehicle registration each year. Of course with our school district our property taxes are over 7k / year. Needless to say we will not be retiring at this location.

Lots of better things we could do with almost $600 per month .....
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Here in GA they put in a new system for the taxes. Folks that take the biggest hit our folks moving into the state. If you just bought a new car, truck camper or what ever, your going to pay the full taxes based on its value here. If you live here and you trade for new vehicle you pay the one time tax plus the Ad Valorem tax and then your done with taxs and buy just your license plate for $20 however if you have a tt they will collect every year the AD valorem tax which reduces ever year. This due to it not being motorized. If you apply for a vets tag for vehicles you pay zip even for tag. So my 2015 truck bill is 0 plus my car 0. Good for present residents but new folks get hammered. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Here in GA they put in a new system for the taxes. Folks that take the biggest hit our folks moving into the state. If you just bought a new car, truck camper or what ever, your going to pay the full taxes based on its value here. If you live here and you trade for new vehicle you pay the one time tax plus the Ad Valorem tax and then your done with taxs and buy just your license plate for $20 however if you have a tt they will collect every year the AD valorem tax which reduces ever year. This due to it not being motorized. If you apply for a vets tag for vehicles you pay zip even for tag. So my 2015 truck bill is 0 plus my car 0. Good for present residents but new folks get hammered. Later RJD
You now pay once for personal vehicles (when you purchase it or when you first title/register it in GA). On RVs, You pay the sales tax when you buy it AND the annual Ad Valorem tax, based on the price you paid for it (if you have a bill of sale - or estimated if you don't). Also, the County sets the rate, within limits set by the State. I mostly love living in GA. However, in this case...no.

FYI, you can't get a vets tag for non-motorized vehicles.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #13

Well I guess the one good part about MO is the $53 life time trailer tags. But they make up for it with the taxes.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #14

Not that it counts...or you asked. In Arkansas you go from the $ paid at purchase X% of taxes due. If one tries to pretend they paid X? and it's too low(extremely) then they will estimate the value. There are other factors that come into play, but that's the standard.

Permanent tags are less than $25... that is the good part. Yes. We have PP taxes.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Well I guess the one good part about MO is the $53 life time trailer tags. But they make up for it with the taxes.

Life time trailer tags???? When did that happen? Why am I paying for tags every two years... (for 30 years)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Life time trailer tags???? When did that happen? Why am I paying for tags every two years... (for 30 years)
Very recently. My dad had the same reaction. It started 1-2 years ago
Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
You now pay once for personal vehicles (when you purchase it or when you first title/register it in GA). On RVs, You pay the sales tax when you buy it AND the annual Ad Valorem tax, based on the price you paid for it (if you have a bill of sale - or estimated if you don't). Also, the County sets the rate, within limits set by the State. I mostly love living in GA. However, in this case...no.

FYI, you can't get a vets tag for non-motorized vehicles.
If you trade an older vehicle in then new one you do not pay only but a one time tax including the Ad volorum. What I mentioned was you get vets tags for cars and trucks. When I was at the tag office I inquired about MH and they said no more Ad valorum, If you now have a new one since they changed the law. Maybe she did not understand how it worked because I thought I qualified with a tt but she said it had to be motorized Its definitely cheaper to live hear than other places and I also get senior rate on realestate tax. Turn 65 and your tax bill is cut big time. I pay $270 but this only applies to certain counties Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #18

PP tax is just that.....tax on Personal Property. Vehicles, trailers, etc. We assess annually and pay annually.

Real Estate tax is also just that. Tax on real estate, your house, land, timber land, etc. Same thing..assessed annually and paid annually, at same place.

Motorized vehicle tags are annual renewal. ALL trailers are one-time, forever, permanent tags. Honestly, I don't know what Motorhomes do.

So, we separate the PP tax and the Vehicle tags. Many states combine it into the vehicle tag.

Usually, PP and RE tax is a county tax, and funds schools and other things. Vehicle tag are a state tax. I assume (?) that's common.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #19

No Tax

Another reason to love Texas. No property Tax on Rv's, just $68 a year license and no income tax.
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Go to nada. search ALL manufacturers. Search Coachman by Forrest River. I used my zipcode. Didn't have a list of options. I got this

$26,606
I have the Coachmen 283RKS well optioned also and that assessment is close to MSRP which was about 28K, they sell for around 20K so yet again NADA is off.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer