Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Modify or Upgrade

My wife, daughter, and I will be going full time for about a year, possibly 2, while I finish my clinical rotations. We currently have a 2010 surveyor sport 295. Has one slide, bunhouse, and is 33.5ft long. Here's what it has that may be an issue for when we start full timing in March. 1 slide (its not a "wide" slide), 6gal hot water heater, non enclosed underbelly, and single paned windows.
Getting a quote to add a 10gal hot water heater and enclosing the underbelly is about $2500 and some change.
We are going to the Dallas RV show in a few weeks and will look hard at ones that have all the features we would modify on ours.
Don't want to spend more than 3k in difference from selling ours t buying a new one.
Do y'all think this is even possible or should we just modify what we have?
Any input is greatly appreciated!
dcarver1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Don't do it. Don't do it.

You go to the show and your cooked. Those salesman are trained to take your money.

Resistance is futile.

DW and DD will want a nice new shinny unit. You'll see............................

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

I personally don't think you'll be able to trade up 5yrs for 3k, maybe the market is different down there. But depending on the difference it might be worth it to spend the extra on a trailer that was built that way in the first place. sometimes having the extra work done to your original is better than factory and sometimes it's worse. I'd go with whichever will give you less headaches in the long run.

2008 Chevy Dmax CCSB
2015 Sierra 380bh5
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardbucket107 View Post
I personally don't think you'll be able to trade up 5yrs for 3k, maybe the market is different down there. But depending on the difference it might be worth it to spend the extra on a trailer that was built that way in the first place. sometimes having the extra work done to your original is better than factory and sometimes it's worse. I'd go with whichever will give you less headaches in the long run.

2008 Chevy Dmax CCSB
2015 Sierra 380bh5
The market here is a bit different. I'm in lubbock and trailers usually sell within a week for asking.At least that's been my expeirnce with my last 3 TTs. I'm asking 16k for mine and hopefully can strike a deal for a left over 2014 or floor model at the show.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Don't do it. Don't do it.

You go to the show and your cooked. Those salesman are trained to take your money.

Resistance is futile.

DW and DD will want a nice new shinny unit. You'll see............................

Vin.
x2 big time !!
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

Black and Vin, is that why I'm seeing 2015s in your signatures lol
Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

lol. Yep!

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver1987 View Post
Black and Vin, is that why I'm seeing 2015s in your signatures lol
You got that right !!
I traded a 1 year old 2013 Rockwood 2604WS with Emerald package last year after visiting a show and the wife fell in love with slide out bedroom of our current unit.
We were very lucky, the dealer had a buyer for our unit and gave us 1000$ less than what we paid for it.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Haha. We did look at one at the local dealer that had a living room slide and a kitchen slide. Felt way bigger than ours although it was 5ft shorter. If one of those is on sale at the show, might be towing it home lol.
Anyway its still up in the air. Got to get ours sold first. I like to deal in cash so I can have a little advantage when haggling lol
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
My wife, daughter, and I will be going full time for about a year, possibly 2, while I finish my clinical rotations. We currently have a 2010 surveyor sport 295. Has one slide, bunhouse, and is 33.5ft long. Here's what it has that may be an issue for when we start full timing in March. 1 slide (its not a "wide" slide), 6gal hot water heater, non enclosed underbelly, and single paned windows.
Getting a quote to add a 10gal hot water heater and enclosing the underbelly is about $2500 and some change.
We are going to the Dallas RV show in a few weeks and will look hard at ones that have all the features we would modify on ours.
Don't want to spend more than 3k in difference from selling ours t buying a new one.
Do y'all think this is even possible or should we just modify what we have?
Any input is greatly appreciated!
We have wintered in BC with out the enclosed under belly, we only have single pane windows and a 6 gal. water heater. No problems. Why spend the money on the unit when it could be used as is?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We have wintered in BC with out the enclosed under belly, we only have single pane windows and a 6 gal. water heater. No problems. Why spend the money on the unit when it could be used as is?
Wow I'm impressed you made that work. Everything I've read says pipes will freeze, you'll lose so much heat through the windows, etc etc. I could probably do without the enclosed underbelly, but no way without a bigger water heater. My wife is a nurse and she requires scalding hot water with about 15min of scrubbing before she feels cleansed of the crap (literal) she has to deal with throughout the day. And she prefers not to use the campground showers either lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #12

Day time highs were 34 to 36f and the nights went down to mid 20's. No problem with pipes freezing. Used 2 electric heaters and kept trailer at 70f. Found that using a dehumidifier made the trailer warmer and kept the windows from getting wet (condensation). If you find the trailer drafty you can install curtains over the windows.

Check out the suburban 16gal RV hot water heater. Takes the same door as the 10 gal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #13

Amazon,Gerard tankless hot water heater $550ish installed myself only uses 12 volt and gas no 110 =2 hour shower if you got the propane , you can easily close the underbelly with a drill and basic tools if your not going to move it even duct tape, in the winter we put fleece curtains up to keep the chill out, full time 4 yrs total,Teton till recently.

Tags
upgrade, modifications