Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Mold and dealer accountability/responsibility

Hi - I have a Forest River camper that developed mold issues all around the bunkroom this past summer. The camper has been at the dealer since September waiting for parts and their time to address the issue. Long story short, they "fixed" the issue because they said the issue most likely stemmed from something they discovered during their pre delivery inspection, a leak, and was not handled appropriately. Now, I'm left wondering how bad it actually was/is and if the problem will come back. I called my state's DOJ Consumer Protection office to get their take. They said it most definitely would warrant a claim through their office since the issue was known but not disclosed to me when I purchased the "new" unit. However, they really pushed me towards working with them towards an amicable solution. I'm trying to figure out what that solution is. The dealer ripped out the wall boards and insulation and replaced it. Is that amicable? Should I request a 1, 3, 5 year guarantee on the mold? Mandate an exchange? I just don't know what is actually reasonable. I don't feel like it's fair for me to have bought what they knew to be a dysfunctional trailer, yet I'm not sure I think it's fair to try to demand an equal exchange at this stage. The trailer was just over a year old when it was brought to the dealer for the issue, FWIW. What are your thoughts on what is reasonable?
erich00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

I think reasonable is passing an air quality test by a mold certified company this summer
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks Coney. That's a good point, I should have added the passing of a test of some sort to my list of what's reasonable. And, to your point of timing of the test, I do live in the northeast so mold right now is not something that is generally a problem as much as the other three seasons.
erich00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:01 AM   #4

That's to bad, but if they found the leak, and replaced all the wall board and insulation then that should end your leak and mold problem in that area. You didn't say where the leak was? There really is not much you can do, but hope they got it repaired. Make sure you keep a copy of what and when they did this, in case you have to claim it again.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

It seems to me that the dealer was not fair and honest with you when you purchased the camper. You caught them, and now have them over a barrel.

It also seems as if they say they have solved the problem now, key word "say".

At this very moment I wold NOT trust what they say.

Id make them put their money whee their mouth is in two ways.

First, a successful mold test inside the camper now.

Second, a written 5 year guarantee against mold and the integrity of their "repair".

IF they are unwilling, Id tell them I want a completely new unit,

Let them know you re quite willing to contact the State's Consumer Protection Office to get satisfaction.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
It seems to me that the dealer was not fair and honest with you when you purchased the camper. You caught them, and now have them over a barrel.

It also seems as if they say they have solved the problem now, key word "say".

At this very moment I wold NOT trust what they say.

Id make them put their money whee their mouth is in two ways.

First, a successful mold test inside the camper now.

Second, a written 5 year guarantee against mold and the integrity of their "repair".

IF they are unwilling, Id tell them I want a completely new unit,

Let them know you re quite willing to contact the State's Consumer Protection Office to get satisfaction.
Don't hold your breath, by law the dealer did what they were suppose to do, you gave them a chance to repair and they did. Not sticking up for the dealer but first you have to give them a chance to repair they did. It might never be a problem again I hope, if it is a problem down the road then you have a case but not now.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

I don't know the long story, but the dealership stepped up, said they found a leak and did not properly fix it. They may not have had to say anything? They tore the area down, fixed the problem area, they say. I'm thinking the dealer deserves some credit, but to cover yourself, follow Mr. coney's advice along with a couple year's extended warranty.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

I hate to say this but I would contact a Lawyer and get a better picture of you options. There may be an issue arising that no one considered and if so you might be out of luck. True the Dealer has done a repair after the hidden issue arose, I would have felt better if I were informed about the issue from the Start. Now it seems like CYA for them. I might be wrong, but are you willing to chance it
ralphieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
I think reasonable is passing an air quality test by a mold certified company this summer
Absolutely what I would do.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

Another potential issue is water infiltration on the exterior wall panel. You need to understand the construction materials and risk of delamination. Delamination from a water leak may not be detectable for several years.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #11

There is a difference between a purchaser's rights from a latent defect and being sold a product with a known defect and said defect not being disclosed. As it is possible that if the purchaser had been informed the unit had a known leak he would have either offered less for it or passed for a unit without issues.
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #12

Not to sound like a jerk, but, if they found the issue, took the rv apart and replaced as much as they did, didn’t charge you a penny, AND admitted it was there fault, what is there even to call the state DOJ about? Things happen, they fixed it. Instead of spending all that time panicking, I would relax knowing that my dealer was straight up and took care of me. I just don’t understand obsessing over something that doesn’t exist. Relax. Go camping. Start a fire. Drink some beers. Enjoy your family. Why make life harder than it needs to be?
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #13

How did it end up?

Hi- wondering how this ended up? We are in a similar situation- just purchased a new 2021 E-Pro travel trailer. The dealership hid a water leak and mold situation they created when they got the trailer ready for purchase. It was never mentioned upon sale and sold as new. It's at the dealership right now for them to take a look at it and determine next steps. I am wondering how your situation played out.
kmatranga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, mold