Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #81

We're in the "Cash is king" group, but last year we ran afoul of the IRS, so our cash reserves are low. We have a toy hauler and a Class C. DW was laid-off 10 days ago. Toy hauler is now on the dealer's consignment lot. We offered a bonus for a quick sale, so hopefully we can bank the proceeds until one of us find a job to pay our mortgages (both had houses when we married, but one house way under water) and monthly bills.

We joke that in a worst case scenario we can live in the MH and rent out this house, but we are both really glad that houses are our only debt.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #82

When we got our trailer...worst case scenario we can live in it. It's $300 and house is $8+... I figure we could find a spot and "live" if we had to.
Prolly makes more sense to get a "multi-family" arrangement at home and sell the trailer. 3 or 4 modest incomes can supply enough for house and basic utilities.

Yes. I am a partial prepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #83

I say to each their own. Sink or swim. It's your choice.

Tim
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznfall View Post
I say to each their own. Sink or swim. It's your choice.

Tim
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Funny thing is that with money, there are lots of riptides and undertows that you never know are there. Sometimes you go under even if you are a "good swimmer", if you catch my drift. Man, it must really suck to be miserable your entire working career, stashing everything away, banking on retiring and living the good life, only to see it go with a market crash like we had in 08-09.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #85

Or you die.

Life is a highway!!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Funny thing is that with money, there are lots of riptides and undertows that you never know are there. Sometimes you go under even if you are a "good swimmer", if you catch my drift. Man, it must really suck to be miserable your entire working career, stashing everything away, banking on retiring and living the good life, only to see it go with a market crash like we had in 08-09.

Very true and I agree with that very much.

Tim
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #87

It is nearly impossible to live today without a credit card; we all know this.

Is a proven fact that when we slide that card, it doesn't have the same effect, emotionally, as when we shell out cold hard cash. I suspect that is because we get paid in greenbacks we realize as we spend it what it took to earn it.

What is worse that one undisciplined person with a card? Two, is the answer! Add to this the fact that most families don't have a budget or if they do they don't stick to it.

So, the best course is to never spend more using a credit card than you can pay off every month. And if you are deep in credit card debt, stop using them; and start actively working on the problem.

I still say, that if you justify buying a mega-dollar RV, that you can or can't afford, in the name of family fun, you are only fooling yourself, want to impress someone, or you don't understand the concept of how memories are made.

They will remember the times spent together at the lake, the mountains or the beach; the stories told around the campfire... the funny things that happen... the little things, barely noticed at the time. No one will remember anything about the camper, how impressive it was. Material things deteriorate and depreciate, are sold or sit out back rotting away; it is memories that last for a life time.

So, don't be too cheap to not buy something necessary to make memories, but be disciplined enough to leave some cash that you don't feel like a slave to the finance companies.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post

Is a proven fact that when we slide that card, it doesn't have the same effect, emotionally, as when we shell out cold hard cash. I suspect that is because we get paid in greenbacks we realize as we spend it what it took to earn it.

What is worse that one undisciplined person with a card? Two, is the answer! Add to this the fact that most families don't have a budget or if they do they don't stick to it.

So, the best course is to never spend more using a credit card than you can pay off every month. And if you are deep in credit card debt, stop using them; and start actively working on the problem.

I still say, that if you justify buying a mega-dollar RV, that you can or can't afford, in the name of family fun, you are only fooling yourself, want to impress someone, or you don't understand the concept of how memories are made.

They will remember the times spent together at the lake, the mountains or the beach; the stories told around the campfire... the funny things that happen... the little things, barely noticed at the time. No one will remember anything about the camper, how impressive it was. Material things deteriorate and depreciate, are sold or sit out back rotting away; it is memories that last for a life time.

So, don't be too cheap to not buy something necessary to make memories, but be disciplined enough to leave some cash that you don't feel like a slave to the finance companies.
Very well said.

I grew up tent camping and have many good memories, my family also tent camped for several years and then my wife and I got an old pop up. My wife and I are recent empty nesters and my kids have many great memories camping. Anyone who thinks they have to have an nice big camper to make great memories for the kids is only fooling themselves.

Now how anyone spends their money is their business but I know that if I have to work all the time to make the payments on a camper then I am not getting out to enjoy that camper or when I am out camping, I can't relax and really enjoy myself.

To each his own!
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Very well said.

I grew up tent camping and have many good memories, my family also tent camped for several years and then my wife and I got an old pop up. My wife and I are recent empty nesters and my kids have many great memories camping. Anyone who thinks they have to have an nice big camper to make great memories for the kids is only fooling themselves.

Now how anyone spends their money is their business but I know that if I have to work all the time to make the payments on a camper then I am not getting out to enjoy that camper or when I am out camping, I can't relax and really enjoy myself.

To each his own!
So, true Indy! Years and years ago when I didn't have a pot, I bought a tent camper for $50. Did a little body work (still can see the scar from the metal cut). The canvas was in great shape; built a hitch for my VW dune buggy myself (how it held, I haven't a clue!); loaded it up with a wife, two kids, a German Shepard and headed to the Smoky Mountains. No plans, no reservations, and not much money. Everyone in the family still remembers it down to every detail.

It was crazy... crazy fun!

It is sad that so many beautiful men and women work so hard to pay the high interest rates to these darn companies, and try to keep up with the Jones, rather having more free time and spending it on family times together. Yes, to each his own. I just hope someone is out there listening. Life is too short to learn everything the hard way! Sometimes even free advice is priceless.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #90

Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post

X3!

We are still committed to using only our debit cards or cash, but have considered getting a Pilot/Flying J card for longer trips and paying it off when we get home. Current plan is to save enough that we can just transfer from savings, but adding the extra gas reduction is tempting.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote