Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
I have the scare light and they are great if you are in the rig. A better method to prevent theft would be to lock a ball in the head of the travel trailer or get another type of hitch lock. There are many that are very difficult to remove. If you cannot hock up to it you cannot steel it.

silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Motion lights are nice when returning and Not being in the dark,as a Theft deterrent not so much! In our area (Most) B&Es are committed in the (Daytime) while people are at (WORK)! Per stats from the (Sheriff's office) in our county (3 days ago)! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
The unit that was stolen...a TT ...or a 5er?????
Did the unit have a lock on the hitch?????????
You can now buy hardened steel hitch locks for TT and 5ers! Or better still buy a length of heavy chain a hardened steel lock and run the chain between the two rims on one side....They will not turn!!!!!!!.J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
If anyone would try to drag ours away they would get a rude awakeining because it LOOKS like a 5er but is in reality a gooseneck! We have been camping since around 1969 and the only gooseneck hitch Ive ever seen in a cmpground was ours!No need for a lock if it cant be hooked up.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #15
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
If anyone would try to drag ours away they would get a rude awakeining because it LOOKS like a 5er but is in reality a gooseneck! We have been camping since around 1969 and the only gooseneck hitch Ive ever seen in a cmpground was ours!No need for a lock if it cant be hooked up.

In Pittsburgh at Fox Den Acres, there were 3 or 4 fifth wheels with gooseneck conversions. Nothing is fool proof.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #16
If a damn thief wants something they will get it no matter what. All anyone can do is try there best to deter them, they just move on to the next one. What really bothers me is that I can be at a campground and mostly people watch for each other. I know I introduce myself to my neighbors. If they are gone and and someone is in there camp I always walk over to see. But when your in storage you count on the facility to protect it. That just will not happen at most places.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I was sorry to read about your experience with your trailer getting stolen and rifled through-an unnerving experience none us of would ever want to go through. But I would think chances are it is not likely to happen again and worrying is going make the whole RV experience quite stressful and not very relaxing. For what it is worth, my suggestion would be to buy the scare light for your peace of mind, try to put past behind, and most importantly, enjoy your new camper.
Excellent advice! If you worried all the time how can you enjoy it?

I carry good insurance and do not worry.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
We have motion detector lights on our sticks and bricks front porch, side of the house where car is parked and on each corner at the back of the house. I love coming home at night and having these lights turn on so that I can see where I am stepping. Since we live on a creekside lot, we get animals and the lights will scare away some of them. Others not so much. Will probably ask DH to install these in the 5'er (if that works out) not necessarily as a deterrent to thieves or trespassers but more for a convenience for being able to see when coming home at night.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #19
Just cruiz'en through the forum and saw this. consider a Chamberlain CWA2000 Wireless Motion Alert System. about $50 on Amazon and will transmit about 1/4 mile. You can program about six sensors per receiver. It beeps 1 - 6 to tell you which sensor has tripped. The sensor make no noise and runs off of 2 AA. I use one in my remote wood shop (aka high dollar tools) and one inside my motorhome.... the receiver is batt or 120v. I keep it next to the alarm clock....
Hoglou westGA
KM4HQQ 146.640mhz
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
I installed one of these at one entrance (see the link) and it works great for coming back after dark. Worked perfectly. I didn't notice where your unit was stolen from, but if in storage, you will have to battery on and switch to motion on, all the time. I agree with others that a light won't scare a "real" thief away. But is good for peace of mind. I have heard of a certain individual keeping a hidden smart phone with a tracking app on in the unit all the time. Probably less expensive than LoJack, which is around a grand, plus monitoring. I assume monitoring is a recurring fee. Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light 1000 12-volt Exterior Motion Light, Black: Automotive

XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote