Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Motion Activated Scare Light

I guess I am getting paranoid after our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer was stolen last November 11 and then found a week later. I would like to know if this would be worth our money. Have any one of you used this?

Starlight Round Smart Motion Scare Porch Light
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

I have 3 of them that I put on, the round one you showed is a direct fit. They work great and you can adjust the distance they pick up. They won't pick up animals or anything but people yes. Cheapest I seen was Amazon $50.00 bucks, and come with a 200 lum LED light. Highly recommended by at least me.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Where do you install them? How do they deter a thief?
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have 3 of them that I put on, the round one you showed is a direct fit. They work great and you can adjust the distance they pick up. They won't pick up animals or anything but people yes. Cheapest I seen was Amazon $50.00 bucks, and come with a 200 lum LED light. Highly recommended by at least me.
Where do you put them?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Where do you install them? How do they deter a thief?
Maybe scaring them with the lights suddenly turned on will make them decide not to steal from us

I am waiting for more replies and see what they say.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

Does it deter a thief or just give them some light to see what they are doing when stealing ??
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

I was sorry to read about your experience with your trailer getting stolen and rifled through-an unnerving experience none us of would ever want to go through. But I would think chances are it is not likely to happen again and worrying is going make the whole RV experience quite stressful and not very relaxing. For what it is worth, my suggestion would be to buy the scare light for your peace of mind, try to put past behind, and most importantly, enjoy your new camper.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

Installed one to replace the porch light on our MH, if it helps anything else, nice when we come back in evenings. As if they would scare a theif, who knows, depends on how brave the theif is.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #9

We put one on at Goshen last year. Bought it from one of the vendors at the International Rally for $50, IIFC. Put it on in place of the amber "porch" light by our front steps.

Come to find out, we like it as much because it lights up when we come home after dark as we do for its ability to scare away any intruders/potential thieves. In fact, when the tt is parked for extended periods at the storage facility, the light is turned off, so wouldn't deter theft there.

I see it more for our safety and convenience than to stop crime.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
We put one on at Goshen last year. Bought it from one of the vendors at the International Rally for $50, IIFC. Put it on in place of the amber "porch" light by our front steps.

Come to find out, we like it as much because it lights up when we come home after dark as we do for its ability to scare away any intruders/potential thieves. In fact, when the tt is parked for extended periods at the storage facility, the light is turned off, so wouldn't deter theft there.

I see it more for our safety and convenience than to stop crime.
I agree, At night when someone approaches it lights up for about 3 or 4 mins. As far as where you put them. They replace the round lights in the front top sides. also I put one to replace my patio light and added a 4th on the right side of the door those are the rectangular ones.. I had to add a switch for it. They work off your exiting switch. so you can turn it on like a light or turn it on then off and then on again and that engages the motion detector. They are great when you come home at night. You get within 35 feet or so they come on so your not in the dark. If a thief is a thief, it might scare them with a light on them. But no real guarantee it will stop someone. Also If a trailer is close to me I do not use them so they are not disturbed. You will see a blue led light flashing in the day and green at night, so you know it is working.....

Old 12-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

I have the scare light and they are great if you are in the rig. A better method to prevent theft would be to lock a ball in the head of the travel trailer or get another type of hitch lock. There are many that are very difficult to remove. If you cannot hock up to it you cannot steel it.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

Motion lights are nice when returning and Not being in the dark,as a Theft deterrent not so much! In our area (Most) B&Es are committed in the (Daytime) while people are at (WORK)! Per stats from the (Sheriff's office) in our county (3 days ago)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

The unit that was stolen...a TT ...or a 5er?????
Did the unit have a lock on the hitch?????????
You can now buy hardened steel hitch locks for TT and 5ers! Or better still buy a length of heavy chain a hardened steel lock and run the chain between the two rims on one side....They will not turn!!!!!!!.J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #14

If anyone would try to drag ours away they would get a rude awakeining because it LOOKS like a 5er but is in reality a gooseneck! We have been camping since around 1969 and the only gooseneck hitch Ive ever seen in a cmpground was ours!No need for a lock if it cant be hooked up.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
If anyone would try to drag ours away they would get a rude awakeining because it LOOKS like a 5er but is in reality a gooseneck! We have been camping since around 1969 and the only gooseneck hitch Ive ever seen in a cmpground was ours!No need for a lock if it cant be hooked up.

In Pittsburgh at Fox Den Acres, there were 3 or 4 fifth wheels with gooseneck conversions. Nothing is fool proof.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #16

If a damn thief wants something they will get it no matter what. All anyone can do is try there best to deter them, they just move on to the next one. What really bothers me is that I can be at a campground and mostly people watch for each other. I know I introduce myself to my neighbors. If they are gone and and someone is in there camp I always walk over to see. But when your in storage you count on the facility to protect it. That just will not happen at most places.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I was sorry to read about your experience with your trailer getting stolen and rifled through-an unnerving experience none us of would ever want to go through. But I would think chances are it is not likely to happen again and worrying is going make the whole RV experience quite stressful and not very relaxing. For what it is worth, my suggestion would be to buy the scare light for your peace of mind, try to put past behind, and most importantly, enjoy your new camper.
Excellent advice! If you worried all the time how can you enjoy it?

I carry good insurance and do not worry.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #18

We have motion detector lights on our sticks and bricks front porch, side of the house where car is parked and on each corner at the back of the house. I love coming home at night and having these lights turn on so that I can see where I am stepping. Since we live on a creekside lot, we get animals and the lights will scare away some of them. Others not so much. Will probably ask DH to install these in the 5'er (if that works out) not necessarily as a deterrent to thieves or trespassers but more for a convenience for being able to see when coming home at night.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

Just cruiz'en through the forum and saw this. consider a Chamberlain CWA2000 Wireless Motion Alert System. about $50 on Amazon and will transmit about 1/4 mile. You can program about six sensors per receiver. It beeps 1 - 6 to tell you which sensor has tripped. The sensor make no noise and runs off of 2 AA. I use one in my remote wood shop (aka high dollar tools) and one inside my motorhome.... the receiver is batt or 120v. I keep it next to the alarm clock....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #20

I installed one of these at one entrance (see the link) and it works great for coming back after dark. Worked perfectly. I didn't notice where your unit was stolen from, but if in storage, you will have to battery on and switch to motion on, all the time. I agree with others that a light won't scare a "real" thief away. But is good for peace of mind. I have heard of a certain individual keeping a hidden smart phone with a tracking app on in the unit all the time. Probably less expensive than LoJack, which is around a grand, plus monitoring. I assume monitoring is a recurring fee.

Amazon.com: Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light 1000 12-volt Exterior Motion Light, Black: Automotive

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light