Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

motorhome state tax

Hello,

I would like to know if the state tax that I paid when I bought my 3010ds is deductible on my income tax for 2012. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
bikeit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

The conclusive answer: "It depends."

I completed my taxes using TurboTax and H&R Block online (yes, I did it twice - this was my first ever for doing my own taxes). Neither site clearly allowed you to enter the sales tax for something like this. TurboTax kind of did, but it didn't affect my bottom line.

I submitted my taxes for review by a H&R Block tax preparer and asked specifically about it. She said that technically it did, but it didn't impact my tax liability at all (i.e. my refund didn't change).

That said, your specific situation isn't something that I can safely judge from here. You're best off talking to a tax person instead of me. (Just a computer programmer!)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

The above advice is very good. Always check with the experts. In the past tax law has been that if your state charges income tax, that is deductible on your federal return. Somehow the large purchases get factored into the state return. Those states not charging income tax have a formula for deducting sales tax and then you can deduct major purchases like automobiles and RV's in addition to the formula. I don't know about 2012. Going to the accountant next week.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

This is interesting our preparer did not use the sales tax but did use personal property tax & of course the interest as it is our second home...... Our state does have income taxes (& every other tax know to man)

They are even going to start a tax on hybrd cars since they don't use as much gas but that's Virginia for ya.... Lot people are calling it a fine........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Physician

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan View Post
Those states not charging income tax have a formula for deducting sales tax and then you can deduct major purchases like automobiles and RV's in addition to the formula.
Was able to deduct sales tax (using formula) as well as the big-ticket items sales tax (bought a truck and a 5er in '12) using Turbo-Tax for 2012 return, definitely improved my bottom line. I'm a Florida resident and I itemize.
Good Luck!
Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

You could of took it in 2011,but not in 2012.They made a change to the tax laws,I read this some place when I was doing my tax return.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote