Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

My experience w/RVing full time in a Class C

Was that 18 feet is just too small for 1 person to live in. I lived w/my BC (Border Collie) in a Class C for a 1 1/2 yrs. I would get cabin fever, especially when it rained. My BC did not like it either, we went to a dog park twice a day, so he was in general, pretty happy. But, after that I moved back into a regular condo unit, he did not want to get back into the RV. I really feel I need 27 feet of RV to full time and for my BC & my kitty cat ( a recent family addition) to be comfortable. A photo of both is attached.

To me the economics of RVing, suggest a diesel pickup and a 5er. A diesel pickup is more costly to start, but they last a long time and hold their resale very well. Unfortunately, emission standards have made diesels more expensive and I suspect less reliable and undoubtedly more expensive to repair. Toyota, Nissan & Honda would have likely have made a 1/2 ton diesel, if it weren't for emission standards getting harder to meet. Caterpillar Tractor, really an iconic brand, dropped out on the on-road diesel engine business as well. The EPA has not done RVers or the US economy any favors that's for sure.

I realize a 3/4 ton gas truck would work. But, their MPG is so low, that I don't want to head that way. I also feel 3/4 ton trucks, suffer from a lack of competition in the marketplace. Nissan & Toyota have never made a HD pickup. I also fear higher gas prices down the road. Making RVing just too costly to have fun doing. I still use my Class C from time to time. I could go on and on. About the repairs, I have had to do. But, I will save that for another post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC 8 months.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	35277   Click image for larger version

Name:	PM Face.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	35278  
Reformed_Stockbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Trailer Trash

Toyota makes diesel Land Cruisers in other countries. I rode in one on an Outback tour in Darwin, Australia many years ago. It was way more heavy duty than the 1 ton pickup trucks we have in USA. The Land Cruiser is basically a school bus with a bunch of seats and crash rails all around the perimeter of the vehicle. The bounced that rig off of rocks at low speeds to get to our destination. Think of those safari vehicles in Africa. Pretty much like that! You can't buy em in the USA and EPA pollution police is probably just one of the reasons.

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote