Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
We looked for two yrs initially we wanted used at about 1-2 yrs old so we went on Craigslist looking between VT,NY,NH and MA we looked at more than I can remember and one of the first questions I had was did anyone smoke in the unit? On more than one occasion after seeing pics and being assured that it was in super great condition and no one had smoked in it we drove up to 4 hrs to go see it and most times you would walk in and think what is that smell or it reeked like stale smoke. That's when we decided new was for us we narrowed it down to one that we totally liked then went online shopping, we found one 2 hrs away and one 5 hrs away the furthest had a good price right online the other had the "our price is to low to show on the Internet" thing so I called them and they wouldn't give me a price over the phone so I told the salesman I'll email you the online price that you need to start at. Meanwhile the other dealer had come down another $1,500 dollars and sent me a quote I forwarded that to the closer dealer long story short we saved over 36 percent over boths MSRP prices went with the closer guy. And every time they tried to sell us something my wife would say is it a better price than on Amazon....Lastly when I asked the salesman about the second yr warranty for $150.00 he said it doesn't exist so I forwarded him my email from Rhonda at FR haven't heard back on that ...LOL

VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
IMO some folks on Craigslist want what they owe, not what their TT is actually worth, so you have to play hardball & shop-around...

In 2014 we bought a 3 year-old Tracer 3150 & WDH from a nearby dealer for $8K less OTD than the best sale/wholesale OTD price we could find for a new one w/same upgrades & WDH. The dealer price was about the same as we could find on Craigslist & the dealer agreed to throw-in a WDH, pressure test & re-caulk the unit, & thoroughly test all systems (PDI) before we drove off the lot.

Since the dealer was just 10 minutes from work, I purposefully dropped-by in heavy rains to check for leaks, etc... I spent about 2 hours looking behind every access panel, etc. for hidden defects, water damage, mold, etc. The TT was in pristine condition - except for some loose molding & cabinet doors.

After we agreed to buy the TT, they fixed all of the stuff on my list & did the pessure test & re-caulk before our 2 hour PDI. During the PDI they adjusted all slides, the awning, replaced the battery, CO2 detector, filled the propane tanks, etc. I videotaped the whole 2.5 hour PDI & they even showed me how to operate the slide with an electric drill if a motor failed. They took time to adjust my WDH properly for traveling loaded vs. empty off the lot. Very thorough! Nice folks.

IMO the WDH & extra services are worth at least $1000, so if I were buying FSBO on Craigslist, I would want to take an extra $1000+ off. After all, if those folks had to trade-in their unit, the dealer wouldn't give them near what they are asking....

BTW, we are almost to the day our warranty would have expired had we purchased new... 30+ days of camping & no issues. Online listings are still about what I paid a year ago, so IMO after the first 2-3 years the prices just gradually go down vs. the big up-front hit when you buy new...

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
Canadian Member
Although you might get lucky, I would assume that on a used trailer you'll have to put at least $1,000 into it to fix a problem the previous owner or dealer isn't telling you about. Figure that into you decision on which is the better value. It's a hard decision. Take your time. Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
You guys have some great advice, I think the NADA values were all a bit high in retrospect. The used offerings are just really few and far between right now, if I can hold out a month or two I bet there will be a bunch of 1-2 year old units coming on the market due to people upgrading. I tried to expand my scope outside of the Rockwood 2304s and Flagstaff 23bhs, did a ton of research yesterday, even went to look at at a 2504s (seemed a little flimsy compared to the ultra-lite though). I have to give it Forest River for packing in the options and value in the ultra-lite 2304s, especially the 2015 model with its extra exterior storage doors.

Perhaps the only other units that are comparable, are the Heartland North Trail 22RBK (resale with this brand worries me) and the KZ Connect 220RBK. I saw a local dealer just received a used 2015 KZ 220RBK and has slapped a $18k sticker on it, so I might have a look ($15k otd on that one might be alright). But then I looked the KZ internet forum, and it was pathetic compared to this one
Mn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Mn_Mark, use the new math! It'll get you the new one every time!

My first calculator was a slide rule, and I have been known to still use it! LOL!

The 2304s is a nice camper all the way around. Too bad they discontinued it. You may face the need to go or get off the pot soon if set on it because you just have dealer inventory now. I agree the used marketplace will be flooded this year if you have been studying sales through the show season! Heck, Craigslist is loaded over here and going past several dealers in daily travels their lots are full of used units. One dealer local to me was offering a "foul weather camper" discount incentive on used units - come in during the lousy winter weather and $500 and 5 nights camping at a popular shore campground.

Good luck making your decision!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Having done it twice, I would never again make a long trip to look at a used RV. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Owners and sales people, to be polite, have a way of putting a gloss on the condition of a unit.

As to NADA, it's worse than useless. Most often too high, sometimes too low, but almost never right. Look at RVT, RVTrader, Ebay, etc. and knock 10 to 20 percent off the asking price.

If you know what you are doing, or know somebody who does, a used unit is the way to go. You can save a hefty chunk of change and get a unit where someone else had to deal with the little issues that plague new RVs. That said, I agree with itat. If you buy used, set aside a little money to deal with the unexpected.

Good Luck!
00buck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
...My first calculator was a slide rule, and I have been known to still use it! LOL!...
So was mine and I still have the 10" Post Versalog I bought in Sep 1958 when I started college.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote