Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #31

A few points here.

One, I agree with Herk--unless you have a large SOLAR ARRAY and not just a panel or two, you're not producing enough electricity to make any type of sizeable dent in your electric use. If you unplug from the electric completely, as has been suggested, and try to run totally off your solar power, using your battery(ies) to run your inverter, you'll quickly see what we mean.

Two, I would not allow any CG to charge me for electric (over and above what they're charging me for a site) without having my own meter. But that was the deal you entered into, and now you're finding it unsatisfactory. There's no fair or equal way you can be charged for the power YOU'RE using. Which brings me to..

Three: $50/month is not a lot of clams for (what sounds like) unlimited electric usage. You haven't said if that amount varies or stays at $50, but if it does, it sounds like a bargain to me. Put your fridge and HWH on electric, buy an electric heater, and enjoy your $50 worth.

Or find a different CG and run the risk of being charged a lot more, as has also been pointed out. Or maybe getting lucky and finding one that charges less. In FL, good luck with that.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishgirl View Post
We told the campground that we use very little electric because we have solar on our camper. Sometimes we have to use a little from the grid though. She told us that she had a way to determine how much we would use and be fair, but after being here (2) months she claims we went through the $100 deposit already. One person gave me a link for a meter (portable) which is great, because it is nice to know how much juice you are pulling anyway, just for the heck of it. I want to see how efficient we can be because I am sure in the Spring we are going to come across a time when there will be no electric to plug into. Want to be self-sufficient. This is why we want to be efficient.
Well there you go, they have to read each meter, ask her to see your electrical use for the last two months. You will be surprised how fast the KW's add up. Try to unplug for a month and see if your system will do it, that would be a good test for you to let you know.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #33

Herk7769: I understand what you are saying, but our argument to the owner was that we are using propane for heat for furnace and hot water heater and that the batteries are actually running 90% of our little bit of electrical devices we use. We cook with propane as well. We decided today to completely unhook from the grid, that way there can be no argument, so you are right about that. We do need to get another battery just to make sure we have enough power to do that for the little bit we use. Thanks for advice!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #34
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishgirl View Post
Herk7769: I understand what you are saying, but our argument to the owner was that we are using propane for heat for furnace and hot water heater and that the batteries are actually running 90% of our little bit of electrical devices we use. We cook with propane as well. We decided today to completely unhook from the grid, that way there can be no argument, so you are right about that. We do need to get another battery just to make sure we have enough power to do that for the little bit we use. Thanks for advice!

Seems to me that it would be cheaper to use the $50 a month electric than using the propane for everything

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
Seems to me that it would be cheaper to use the $50 a month electric than using the propane for everything

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2