Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Talking need help with msrp pricing

Hello,

Getting down to the nitty gritty before buying a camper and I was hoping someone could help me or point me in the right direction. I am looking at a 2018 Grey Wolf 26bhse. According to the dealer website (which I know they can set the msrp at anything) the msrp of this unit is 25,228.00. When asked the out the door price the salesman said 16 and some change but has since came down to 15,420, and will not budge anymore. If the msrp they listed is the correct msrp and based on other posts on here I should be able to get about 30-35 percent off. Based on the msrp provided and 35 percent off the price would be 16,399. So thats a grand higher than what he would go for. I basically want someone to check my math and tell me if I am getting hosed or not. First time buyer if it wasn't obvious. Also, I have found this unit about 12 hours away for about a grand cheaper, but one perk to this dealer also is that storage is only a dollar a foot. Maybe I could get them to throw in a year storage for free and call it a win? Any help is appreciated.

here is the dealers site
#FR0389 - 2018 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 26BHSE for sale in Benton AR

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling.

mwalthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

I very confused with your math. If 35% off is 16,399 and they offered to sell for 15,420, thatís almost 40% off. What exactly are you asking?

Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
I very confused with your math. If 35% off is 16,399 and they offered to sell for 15,420, thatís almost 40% off. What exactly are you asking?
I was really just trying to make sure that the 25k msrp was the actual msrp. Not what they told me was the original selling price. I know its confusing, but I am just trying to make sure with people who know more about this subject than I do.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

Go to RV Wholesalers website and build the same RV....it will give you a good idea of the price and the advertised list. Painless.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Is it the unit you like? Is the price in your budget? Are you happy with the price?then buy it. Don't get hung up in numbers.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Lacey's Spring, AL

MSRP(MANUFACTURER'S Suggesting Retail Price) is exactly that: a number that the manufacturer suggests is correct for the Retail Price of this particular unit, with all of it's standard AND optional features from the factory.

The DEALER has nothing to do with this, although they 'typically' receive the unit for, let's say, 1/2 the MSRP(50% their cost). The then sell the unit for whatever amount they wish. The full MSRP. A percentage 'off'. A Flat price. or they bargain with YOU on the price. There's no set 'standard' of what must be done, each dealer is an independent business and can 'charge' whatever they wish. Whether customer's will buy it at their price is a different story.

Generally, you might 'expect' 25% off, but not always. If you find more, it's probably last year's 'model' still on the lot, or a discontinued floorplan, or even a line that the dealer may not continue to sell once they are out. You could certainly find a bigger percentage discount, if a dealer is really motivated to move the unit, such as at the end of the month, or year, or right before the year models start arriving.

I think that the best way to 'gauge' whether a price is fair, or in line, is to get competing dealer's pricing for the same unit, with the same floorplan, and the same standard and optional features. Otherwise it's just up to your and your pocketbook as to what you are willing to spend.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Go to RV Wholesalers website and build the same RV....it will give you a good idea of the price and the advertised list. Painless.
I was not able to build this unit on their site but was able to email them for a price. I had forgotten and deleted it. Thankful for search in my email I was able to find it. It was 15,095. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

Smile

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is not all about the money and it is about getting out and having some fun with my family. I was mainly trying to get the best deal possible and make sure I was not being taken advantage of!

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Lets go camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalthall View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is not all about the money and it is about getting out and having some fun with my family. I was mainly trying to get the best deal possible and make sure I was not being taken advantage of!

Thanks again.
if the best deal you could find is 12 hours away, just think if you had warranty work to do, it would much more convenient to go the closer dealer that sold you the camper and already know you, then to drive 12 hours and back to drop the trailer off for repairs.

but 15k sounds like a good deal to me.

i just paid 12k for my camper last month!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalthall View Post

Thanks again.
Definitely factor in dealer distance. Not trying to jinx you, but there is a better than decent chance that your unit will need service after delivery and multiple times during the warranty period. And it's not like car service at all. There is a huge benefit to choosing local dealers. Just fyi.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiphil View Post
There is a huge benefit to choosing local dealers. Just fyi.
Having been a member of 7 different RV forums for the past 15 years, I can tell you that having a local dealer is no guarantee of good service.

There are hundreds of stories of those that bought local yet got terrible service.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Add us to the list of people who bought local due to the lure of white glove service, then regretted it.

We purchased from CW with their "red carpet, we'll move you to the front of the line" warranty. Let's just say we are picking up the new trailer next week 1250 miles away.

Unless its factory recall, we re fixing it ourselves.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #14

My advice for anyone buying an RV is to not let perceived/promised service after the deal have any affect on your decision to buy. We rarely return to the original dealer after purchase. We are much happier using service only, certified independents for any necessary warranty work.

RVs rarely break down when you are home, near to that local dealer.

Go for the dealer with the best out the door price, period.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #15

After factoring in your time and fuel driving 12 hours, will $1000 less be worth it?

I'm also looking out of state for prices on a RV. It will take me over a couple thousand difference to drive that far. I will have to miss a day of work, my time, and fuel adds up fast.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
After factoring in your time and fuel driving 12 hours, will $1000 less be worth it?

I'm also looking out of state for prices on a RV. It will take me over a couple thousand difference to drive that far. I will have to miss a day of work, my time, and fuel adds up fast.
Or, you could make a camping vacation out of it. Worked for us when we were still working. We drove from Southern NM to Greeley Co. Then spent a few days in the area to test everything out. Spent the rest of the time exploring all the sights between here and there. But we did save several thousand. Can't remember exactly.

The boss just said we saved 10k from anywhere else, local and east coast. Guess it was worth it
Old 01-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #17

Dealer Costs

Below is a link to a web site that is pretty close to giving you the dealer costs. This should help in your negotiations.

Recreational Vehicles | See Dealer Cost
GynormousMellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #18

In case you missed a recent video post about CW sales tactics, then you probably do NOT want to deal with them, no matter what the quoted price is.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
In case you missed a recent video post about CW sales tactics, then you probably do NOT want to deal with them, no matter what the quoted price is.
Pffffftt. CW is no different in their approach to sales than any other dealer.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #20

There used to be a disincentive to going to other than the dealer, especially for warranty work. I just bought a Berkshire from a dealer about 300 miles away. They said there is no deductible as long as it is an FR authorized dealer.
From my experience, the dealer has little or no incentive to get the work out the door quickly. In fact, by delaying certain jobs he can "level" his workload giving him a steady amount of work allowing him to keep regular employees. Whereas, an independent has an incentive to get the work out the door. That's how he gets paid, that's how he builds his reputation and gets additional work. As long as the shop is an "authorized" FR repair facility, you should be way ahead going to an independent. Sure, there are horror stories on both sides of the argument, but the quality and output of the independent garage is normally ahead of dealers by a long shot IMHO.