Old 05-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Negotiating an RV purchase

Hi all, need some help...... my son and daughter in law are going to negotiate the purchase of their first TT tomorrow. I remember reading a thread on negotiating a purchase, and in it was a great tutorial. I wish I had printed it...... I've searched for it, but can't find it. Can someone point me to it? I'd greatly appreciate it!

2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Hi all, need some help...... my son and daughter in law are going to negotiate the purchase of their first TT tomorrow. I remember reading a thread on negotiating a purchase, and in it was a great tutorial. I wish I had printed it...... I've searched for it, but can't find it. Can someone point me to it? I'd greatly appreciate it!
See Dealer Cost

Basically the MSRP is $10k more than cost on the base unit.
Msrp Option price is 35% higher than dealer cost.

So if the unit is
$38k msrp it's costing the dealer $28k.

Option cost example: Theatre seating is $1153 Msrp, it's $795 cost.

Had a dealer give me an actual Cost sheet VS MSRP on our new unit, his mistake, so I knew exactly where to start. It was great. Got a good deal.

If they won't give you the price you want, walk out.

vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

I recall member Cowracer issued an excellent post a year or so ago on how to successfully negotiate an RV purchase. Might want to pm him or do a search of his threads.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017, 37 in 2018, 38 in 2019
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Team

When negotiating.

Consider the purchase a business deal not an emotional purchase.
Assign all the misc perks a value of $0.00
Unless the deal is better than you expected, go home and think about it but make sure dealer has your number.
Don't sign paperwork until the unit is the way you want it. Until you sign the dealer is motivated to make it right. An extra week at the dealer now getting repaired is better than a month or two for the same repairs once you own it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

if its a new unit. Go to rvtrader.com find the exact unit year and model and price low to high. If its more then the lowest number you tell them you are going for a drive to buy.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Have a max set price. Walk away if not at or below that price you have. Don't tell them what you will pay.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

The main thing overlooked in my opinion is Dealer’s After sale service. Search reviews and walk away from a dealer with many bad reviews.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

Things to remember about any negotiation:
-
  • Do your homework. Know the MSRP and the market price for the unit you want. Know what you must have and what you'd like to have.
  • Have three numbers in your head. MDO is the most desirable outcome. Odds are you won't get it but, keep it in mind. And it should be defensible (see previous point).LAA is the least acceptable agreement. If the final numbers are south of the LAA, walk away. Finally, have an opening offer in mind. This is beyond the MDO but, don't be silly.
  • Remember, the salesman has these numbers in mind, too. The final deal will probably be somewhere in the range where your MDO and LAA overlaps their MDO and LAA. If they don't overlap, there won't be a deal. If you did your homework right, they will overlap.
  • As Flybob said, this is a business deal, nothing personal. Keep emotion out of it. Be civil, even polite right up to when you close your car door on the way home. Absolutely don't get emotionally invested. Be prepared to just walk away, even if it's the perfect RV and your SO is in love with it. Please, please, please don't let the salesperson even guess that either of those may be true.
  • Negotiation is a dance. More exactly, it's a slow dance. Expect it to take some time and be prepared. Get a good night's sleep. Eat a good breakfast. Don't make any other plans for the day.
  • Everything is on the table, including freight and dealer fees. You don't care how they plug in the numbers on their form. You only care about the bottom line. And financing, including payments, is a separate negotiation. You're buying an RV, not a payment.
  • RV sales people will use every trick that a car salesman will. He's going to ask questions to get you used to saying yes. He's going to try to get you to sign some note so he can 'take it to his manager'. Tell him the only thing you'll sign is a sales order with a mutually agreeable price on the bottom line.
  • Don't concede anything without getting something in return. This usually kicks in between your MDO and LAA. Neither the concession nor the quid pro quo have to necessarily be money. E.g., you might come up on the price if they throw in an option on your want list.

Remember that you don't have to buy an RV, but, they have to sell one to eat. Good luck.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #9

At least 33% off MSRP.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
At least 33% off MSRP.
Rusty
We were near 40% off MSRP. Remember though your market will dictate final price. Find the lowest wholesale dealer type price and try to get as close to that as possible. Remember as well that the crazy low wholesale dealer price usually comes with the lowest pre-delivery and post delivery care. Our dealer made close to 10% on our Hemisphere. I know this because our finance company had the dealer invoice and based part of our interest rate on how far from dealer invoice we paid. Remember you want the best deal for you and the dealer. You want to save money and they are running a business. Be reasonable!!!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

This might be the info you were talking about.

Tim's Guide to buying anything.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

BINGO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
This might be the info you were talking about.

Tim's Guide to buying anything.
THAT'S what I was looking for! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

As it turns out, my son and his bride went to CW (yeah, I know) this morning to work a deal on that TT. They wouldn't even come to 15% off MSRP, and the dealer wouldn't even throw in a electric tongue jack or cover at their ridiculous price so they walked out, confident that they did the right thing by ending the deal.

Now,,,,, wifey wants a fiver,,,,, went shopping yesterday for her mother's day present and the search is on!
EezTire TPMS
Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #13

Where is your son located maybe someone here could recommend a good dealer, also are they looking for a certain brand or floor plan that might help also.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #14

Thanks for the offer! They live in Sebring FL; We're farther south in SW FL. There are lots of RV dealers all around us, and we're finding more as we narrow our search for a 5er. I spoke with them a bit ago, and they've decided to put this off for a bit. While I'm sad they didn't get what they were looking for - so we could camp together, it seems best this way. At the tender age of 24, they've got lots of time to find another one at a fair price.
EezTire TPMS
Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #15

If you are looking for a new one, you might consider
rvwholsalers.com located in Ohio. They had the best price when I bought my TT. At least they will give you a price to evaluate a local dealer.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #16

We've been exploring that option too. Once we settle on a unit, we will DEFINITELY be comparison shopping. They are a pretty fair distance from us, but hey, it's a camping trip to go there!
EezTire TPMS
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #17

For what itís worth, we were happy with the deal we got from RVW. Theyíre only about 250 miles from us.

They claim to have a nationwide network of repair shops if you need repairs, but we were lucky and never needed it. The few warranty issues we had were dealt with by me emailing pictures, them sending me parts and me changing them. They were minor issues. I was okay with that arrangement. Some people arenít.

Good luck!

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
if its a new unit. Go to rvtrader.com find the exact unit year and model and price low to high. If its more then the lowest number you tell them you are going for a drive to buy.

I did this and paid a little more. a week later my deal was awesome to then current prices.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

Know what interest rates you qualify for as well. If you sign at a higher interest rate dealership gets money back just a few percentage points make a huge difference know your score and get rates from your local bank or credit union but wait the banks that do rv or auto lending thru dealership often can be more flexible and would rather give you .5 or more off so you finance thru them or they donít make any money either
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
For what it’s worth, we were happy with the deal we got from RVW. They’re only about 250 miles from us.

They claim to have a nationwide network of repair shops if you need repairs, but we were lucky and never needed it. The few warranty issues we had were dealt with by me emailing pictures, them sending me parts and me changing them. They were minor issues. I was okay with that arrangement. Some people aren’t.

Good luck!
the owner of RVW is an awesome guy. I've had him assist me when we purchased our last FR product. and it literally was our LAST FR product. 75 or 76 emails to get $600 dollars in repairs. we traded it in last June for an SOB Toy Hauler.

not to figure out how to change the trailer info on my profile.