Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #1

New trailer sales question

Me and my wife decided to go looking. We looked at a couple different models on the lot. The few we liked either were too heavy or not a big enough garage. So they showed us the floorplans and we found one that would fit our toys and and we could tow fully loaded. We went through the options and such they didn't have one on the lot. So we picked our options and they did there magic I negotiated they gave us what I felt was a decent payment and price on a brand new custom ordered trailer. So we signed some paperwork and placed the down payment to start the order. Now we are a couple weeks away from delivery and I did not realize at the time that it wasn't like buying a car. And we had not officially finished the deal. So I have been reading and was wondering am I to expect delivery/destination fees and such after the amount we agreed to. I just thought it was like signing for a car. You sign for the final out the door price not just the item price.
Svtyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
Always Learning

I negotiated an "out the door" price and absolutely refused to pay a penny more.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I negotiated an "out the door" price and absolutely refused to pay a penny more.
Was that on an ordered trailer or one on the lot?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you've negotiated a deal and signed the papers I would not give them a penny extra.

What makes you believe they are going to charge you more?
When we ordered ours and signed off, when it arrived, that was the price. No more, no less.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you've negotiated a deal and signed the papers I would not give them a penny extra.

What makes you believe they are going to charge you more?
I just hear people mention destination charges and pdi charges and so on. I don't remember being told about any other charges except the price on our initial agreement. And none of those were mentioned. And I don't remember if it included tax and licensing or not
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

We bought off the lot but the price on the contract was the price. The day we picked it up we did the PDI (a few hours), they had it all cleaned up, filled the propane, fixed a few small things, installed my Equalizer hitch (wrong but eh....), put my new tags on and even hitched it up and had it pointed in the right direction out of the lot.

No other money changed hands.

Marty
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

What does your paperwork/contract state?
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryracing View Post
What does your paperwork/contract state?
The paper work is very vague. It has the total amount and our down payment but it doesn't have any of the fees or anything on it. I know our trailer after all options msrp'd at about 54k they gave us about 8 k off and with our down of 5 k the total on the paperwork is 40k. So that works out to me to be just the trailer cost oh and they said it included my drop wdh.i was never told anything about delivery fees. Pdi fees and such. I know I asked about extended warranty and such and the guy said we will talk about that once the trailer is here. I'm just worried there's more we will discuss once the trailer is here.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

The price you agreed upon and the 'total' price you mention is it. No other charges should be added. If they want to add charges for their paperwork that is fine as long as the 'total' does not exceed the agreed upon amount.
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #10

Contract price is all you should have to pay. Sign and drive away with no more $$ changing hands.

On a side note, I just recently bought a trailer after shopping around for just the floorplan I wanted. Looked at a lot of trailers on local lots but nothing worked for me. I found a floor plan I wanted on the Forest River site and started shopping online. Found them in stock just the way I wanted all over the place. Luckily there was one in a nearby Dealer's stock that I hadn't visited yet. I was prepared to even drive a couple of State's away to pick up the one I wanted if necessary. New trailer and small vacation at the same time. Point being, don't hesitate to use the internet. It could, as it did in my case direct you to a dealer near you you might never have visited in your shopping around. The dealer I bought from never advertised in the local media and I'd never heard about them although they've been in business for 47 years.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtyone View Post
Was that on an ordered trailer or one on the lot?

Factory order. I did all of the pricing and arrangement of the deal ahead of time via email and phone. I didn't go into the dealer until it was time to pickup the camper, do the walk-thru/inspection, and sign papers.

Here's a little write-up I did:
http://learntorv.com/how-i-negotiated-for-my-rv/
Old 08-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

What's in your contract is what counts! So, I recommend you read the sales contract you signed that includes what's included in the sale (such as options, warranty, delivery charges if any, taxes, registration and so forth)! If it's a clearly stated contract and they are attempting to add charges, I recommend you walk away and find a reputable dealer and sales person! Always remember if it's not in writing, it didn't happen! Word of mouth promises from sales people are worthless! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

If you can I would walk away. I believe you left $10,000 or more on the table. $8000 is not enough of a discount.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #14

You are about to be 'HIT' when you go back to finalize the deal. Be ready, or be ready to walk. Stand fitm.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #15

What about his down payment if he walks how hard is that going to be to get back ??

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
What about his down payment if he walks how hard is that going to be to get back ??
Could be impossible. The dealer incurred costs when ordering and having unit shipped to them. They will probably keep any money collected to "liquidate their damages".

If it's a unit they had in stock and a down payment was made to "hold the unit", ditto. They will claim that the time it was held from the market prevented them from selling it during that time regardless of any offers.

Again, it all depends on what the fine print on the sales agreement says and most of them favor the Seller to the limit of State Law.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Site Team

The statement " We will talk about that when you come back to pick it up" is a dead give away. They are banking that in your excitement to take home you new toy that you will cave in. "You drove all the way here to pick it up, you would not want to leave without it as someone else will buy it tomorrow" These are common sales tricks that play on your emotions. Also do not fall for the extended warranty on the spot. If you are at all interested. Take it home and read the dozens of pages of fine print and then decide. If they will not accept that, you don't want it. You have a contract for an RV at an agreed upon price. They should deliver it at that price or return your deposit and you can go elsewhere. Don't let a week or month or two delay get you stuck with something you will not be happy with for the next 5 years. Make an intelligent non-emotional decision.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #18

When I worked in RV sales, I worked out a deal at my desk and that included all the extras, pdi, hitch, fantastic fans, etc. then I got it approved and took the down payment. Then the customer went in to the finance department and sat down with the finance people. There they would do the financing and all the other extras, extended warranty, TPMS, linex etc. But before they left the dealership everything would be worked out. When they came in on delivery day all they would do is the show through, sign the factory warranty papers and then maybe see the finance department if there where any changes. Then they would go on their way and hopefully the brakes don't seize a km down the road (it happened).
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #19

I would give them a shot. You ordered it and applied a down payment. They can sell you a warrenty or not later as a separate transaction and it's fair as long as they accept no.

I bought at the RV show and did a credit card payment for down payment. They did not run it until I picked up the trailer 2wks later so all my not be lost of you want to walk. See of CC or check was cashed.

They will push you for the warrenty sure enough but if honest they should not change the structure of the deal. If they do you can evaluate if you should walk but demand your deposite and see what you get.

BTW be prepared for several warranty options. I am willing to fix most items myself as long as they are not slides or frame. My wife almost bit on warranty. I just didbthe second year forest river warrenty. I didnt think it was worth 5k for 3 more years. You can negotiate the price of the warrenty as well. I spent an hour doing PDI and paperwork and another 30min installing my WDH myself. Never got anything from the PDI they promised (I have paperwork but never bothered). I replaced all the locks to one key (one was broken) and swapped a $6 propane pigtail myself rather than haul it 40miles back later under warrenty.

It can still all be fine don't panic. Just be firm only if you have to be.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtyone View Post
Me and my wife decided to go looking. We looked at a couple different models on the lot. The few we liked either were too heavy or not a big enough garage. So they showed us the floorplans and we found one that would fit our toys and and we could tow fully loaded. We went through the options and such they didn't have one on the lot. So we picked our options and they did there magic I negotiated they gave us what I felt was a decent payment and price on a brand new custom ordered trailer. So we signed some paperwork and placed the down payment to start the order. Now we are a couple weeks away from delivery and I did not realize at the time that it wasn't like buying a car. And we had not officially finished the deal. So I have been reading and was wondering am I to expect delivery/destination fees and such after the amount we agreed to. I just thought it was like signing for a car. You sign for the final out the door price not just the item price.
What does your paperwork say?
Is the price you agreed to out the door price?
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer