Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

New travel trailer insurance options?

We just purchased a 2018 Rockwood Signatue Ultralight 8329ss. Just curious what insurance options that are available. We have had our last ones on our automobile policy. Well Hurricane Harvey reached out and grabbed our 2011 Open Range. Our policy was taken care of promptly but only paid off at base NADA evaluation, no manufacture or dealer add on were covered. I would certainly think there are some others out here that have found viable options. Thanks.....cC
copanocruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #2

We have GEICO and just added it. Easy.

Marty
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

I did what Marty did and called Geico and added.

And I just purchased a Rockwood 8312ss due to Harvey coming into my house. Parked in driveway still waiting for Flood insurance to process my claim.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

We are using Progressive. If I remember correctly we have full replacement coverage.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Progressive with full replacement coverage. Low priced too.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Progressive with their new version of "Full replacement." You might want to check your policies, since they changed their policies last year without much fanfare I might add. According to Progressive, they no longer offer the "get what you paid" during the first five years. According to the agent I called and spoke with, they will give you the lesser of what you paid or the price they can find for a comparable new RV during the first 5 years and then after that, it is depreciated, just like any other policy. The old version was better.

You will pay more for this type of policy, but this version is still better than a straight auto policy.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Always Learning

I reached out to some RV-specific insurance brokers.

I have a policy through Miller RV Insurance. The policy on the camper is from National Interstate. I paid extra for some kind of full replacement coverage- in fact, given the age of the camper at the time (4 years old), I had a hard time finding folks who offered it.

The other folks I spoke with was RVInsurancePro.com. They were incredibly helpful and informative on the phone.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Remember this, your insurance agent IS NOT your friend! Their job is to pay the least amount they can get away with.
A guy sideswiped my wife a couple of years ago and his agent was going to total our vehicle because it is a 2002 and pay us a ridiculously low price. I looked on line and we could not get anything near the quality of what we have so we said no. We take excellent care of our vehicles and told him to go actually look at it.
Since it was mainly just sheet metal damage they went ahead and fixed our truck and the agent did finally admit that our truck was "Pristine".
Never accept the first offer and fight them to get what you paid for and what you deserve to get.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Its totally up to you! All our TT's have been insured by State Farm, and we're very happy.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

National Interstate insurance. Grate company to insure with Have had them since 1996.

TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Progressive and Good Sam both offer full replacement regardless of how old it is.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Progressive and Good Sam both offer full replacement regardless of how old it is.
Double check that on Progressive. They wouldn't offer it on my 4 year old rig when I went online (web form + chat) and via the brokers that I talked to.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
National Interstate through Good Sam. Home and vehicles also through them. I have full coverage and they will pay for full replacement same as my homeowners. Diminishing deductible.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Its totally up to you! All our TT's have been insured by State Farm, and we're very happy.
X2
We have a "stated value" policy. The policy is for a fixed amount that does not change or depreciate.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

Progressive offers full replacement for two years IF you unit is brand new and you are the first owner.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #16

We have a 2005 Cardinal and it’s been insured by Progressive since new. I’ve had three claims, great company to work with. If it’s totalled within the first three years they will provide a current year model. After that they will give you what you paid for it minus taxes.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #17

I just switched from State Farm to Progressive on my TT. I dropped SF because it was more like a car policy instead of an RV policy SF didn't cover contents and based the value of the TT on market value minus depreciation.

Progressive gave me a base value of what the TT was worth should it need to be replaced according to their data let's say for example 25K and quoted me a price. I couldn't replace my trailer for 25K so I bumped up the value to 30K and they gave me another price plus their policies include 1K for contents I bumped that up to 5K plus with Progressive it also includes roadside assistance and it was still cheaper then SF.

My suggestion is make sure whatever insurance you chose that you understand what is covered and what's not covered instead of just blindly adding your RV in my case Travel Trailer to an existing car policy.

I still have SF for my home and auto but this whole process opened my eyes to also shop those policies around and compare them to other's out there.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
National Interstate through Good Sam. Home and vehicles also through them. I have full coverage and they will pay for full replacement same as my homeowners. Diminishing deductible.
X2, this is us as well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #19
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I just switched from State Farm to Progressive on my TT. I dropped SF because it was more like a car policy instead of an RV policy SF didn't cover contents and based the value of the TT on market value minus depreciation.

Progressive gave me a base value of what the TT was worth should it need to be replaced according to their data let's say for example 25K and quoted me a price. I couldn't replace my trailer for 25K so I bumped up the value to 30K and they gave me another price plus their policies include 1K for contents I bumped that up to 5K plus with Progressive it also includes roadside assistance and it was still cheaper then SF.

My suggestion is make sure whatever insurance you chose that you understand what is covered and what's not covered instead of just blindly adding your RV in my case Travel Trailer to an existing car policy.

I still have SF for my home and auto but this whole process opened my eyes to also shop those policies around and compare them to other's out there.
They may write a different policy in your area but my State Farm covers all my contents and added accessories for replacement value. The trailer is covered by a stated value amount equal to original MSRP, so in case of loss they pay for it all. My claims experience has been great with previous trailers and I have not found anyone cheaper. Last years premium was $480.

I second the statement to check your coverage and add get it in writing before making the deal. I have a friend who was quoted a "great policy" only to find out after the fact it didn't cover what he was told.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Are you sure that is not National General through Good Sam?
My dually and Cedar Creek are with Good Sam and they are underwritten by National General. Just sayin
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, trailer, travel, travel trailer