Old 01-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
Most of the items on the list are pretty inexpensive, but help me choose the surge protector.
I'll probably go hard wired for security and ease of use, and it seems the major units to consider for 30A are progressive and TRC. Is the progressive unit, with the pendant display worth the extra money?
Try this one
Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 30 amp - TRC 44260 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Just so you know that there is another way to go:

Franks Autotransformers

This unit offers not only protection from surges and spikes, but compensates for brown outs that could damage your air conditioner due to low voltage above the cut off used by most other line protection devices.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just so you know that there is another way to go:

Franks Autotransformers

This unit offers not only protection from surges and spikes, but compensates for brown outs that could damage your air conditioner due to low voltage above the cut off used by most other line protection devices.

Just checked out that post Herk, that is a very nice super clean install!!
Just ordered our new 5th, was looking into a hard wired unit too, I noticed that Franks says NOT to hard wire it, I do like how you did it, it is almost as if it is hard wired that way. Where did you pick up your displays at?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

The "not to be hardwired" is lawyer speak. There are restrictions on autotransformers being "hard wired" in the RIVA code.

Mine is not "HARD WIRED"; it is "plugged in."

I cut the 30 amp wire and installed a male and female 30 amp RV outlet set on the ends. The wires are long enough to connect if I ever have a problem with the unit and need to remove it.

The volt/amp meters are available very cheaply on eBay.

Digital Voltmeter 500V | eBay

Digital AC 300V 100A Blue LCD Dual Panel Volt Amp Combo Meter Ct 110V 220V 240V | eBay

If I did it over again, I would also monitor amperage OUT as well as IN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1372.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	45081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1373.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	45083  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #25

I still haven't crawled around the unit yet. Is the wire from the feed usually accessible through a hatch, or the underbelly? I'd prefer the hard wired version so I'd be "once an done" and not have to worry about theft.
The auto Trans looks like it may be a possibility, but also looks like it takes up some real estate. Where did you mount yours Herk? Some of your pics won't open.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The "not to be hardwired" is lawyer speak. There are restrictions on autotransformers being "hard wired" in the RIVA code.

Mine is not "HARD WIRED"; it is "plugged in."

Yes, I was admiring your work, done so well it looks as if it is hard wired.

I will be looking into this unit and doing a similar power monitoring panel, going to be on a 50A setup now, even more important to me to get it close.

Thanks for the links, I would not have even thought to look on ebay for those, probably would have been nosing thru my Mouser catalog for them.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
*IMHO*
Start at Wally World! Get the rhino sewer hose setup, it has everything you need to dump the tanks proper and works great!! Camco water pressure reducer for your fresh water supply, camco water hose for fresh water and ONLY use it for fresh water. Get a cheap garden hose for black tank flushing and ONLY use it for that. Get a decent level, either stick-on or torpedo type just to get you in the level ballpark. You can use some good wood under the stabilizers or get some plastic ready made ones, I prefer wood as it does not flex and squish like the plastic stacking ones do. Wood is heavier tho. You can get a voltage regulator/spike arrestor, either plug in type or hardwired type, they are fairly expensive but not near as expensive as a new electrical system for the camper would cost if something did go crazy, X-Chocks as well, they work way better than regular old chocks, you will have to get those two at a camping world type place or order online.
Bring a nice toolkit with you just in case. Camco I think has inline disposable water filters as well. Buy all of this stuff cheap at first, find out what you like and then go from there, no need to buy a bunch of high dollar stuff that does the same thing IMHO.
Almost forgot, 30A cord to 15A plug adapter so you can plug her in in front of house! May have a problem trying to run the A/C if cord is too long but everything else will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
These members have given you some great ideas and advise, and at first, all of this may seem pretty intimidating--not to mention expensive. The good news is that you won't need everything at once, and can comparison shop, just as you'll be doing at the show.

You may want to give Camping World your email address, and get in on their sales and specials. Amazon is another good source, as are many others. The product reviews are also very helpful, once you separate the wheat from the chaff.

This forum is loaded with ideas, and if it's 'out there', chances are good that members here have tired it.
I'm only on page 1 of 3 and have a lot more reading to do but all the posts I have read so far provides good advice and I'm sure the rest will too. Not to take away from any post but I thought the two posts listed above were right on too.

There can be so many factors involved so this is not always a simple answer. For me it came down to style of camping and budget. Plus what do I need right now to get started.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Would like to add:

Pigtails:

30 -> 20 amp
50 -> 30 amp

Water:
Water Pressure Regulator
Single shutoff Valves (2)
"Y" shutoff valves (2)
Male to Male union (1)
Female to Female union (1)
One Way Check Valve (2)

Don't Go Cheap - Always get Brass fittings.
Plastic ones BREAK when cold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1P724_AS01.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	45118   Click image for larger version

Name:	4KG82_AS01.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	45119  
Attached Images

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #29

Went to the show and there weren't any accessories at all, just rv dealers and campground reps.
I did however get to crawl around my unit a bit more and the underbelly is completely enclosed, so I'm wondering where I'm going to access the wiring without pulling off the underbelly enclosure. Also learned that the grill for the outdoor kitchen is also propane. Even happier since I thought i would need charcoal briquettes.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
Went to the show and there weren't any accessories at all, just rv dealers and campground reps.
I did however get to crawl around my unit a bit more and the underbelly is completely enclosed, so I'm wondering where I'm going to access the wiring without pulling off the underbelly enclosure. Also learned that the grill for the outdoor kitchen is also propane. Even happier since I thought i would need charcoal briquettes.
One thing about the Franks unit is it is water resistant (not proof) and can be used as a portable until you find just the right spot to mount it.

I used a 25 foot extension cord and chained it underneath the camper on a milk crate before I mounted it permanently. OBTW, a 25 foot extension cord is another "must have."

Note: This campground's power (voltage) was low and the Franks was in "boost" when this photo was taken.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	45128  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW