Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
Love to Camp

New vehicle to tow my 5th Wheel

Hi,
After owning a Class A motorhome for years, we just purchased a 5th wheel. I am now seeking advice for what to buy to pull it. Your input would be greatly appreciated. The 5th wheel is a 2017 Prime Time 338-RSK, 36'8" long and empty weighs 10,800 pounds. I want to if possible buy something used in lieu of new. Any suggestions on what would be best, ie deisel, gas, make model, years, would be a great help. Yhanks in advance.

Springer7133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer7133 View Post
Hi,
After owning a Class A motorhome for years, we just purchased a 5th wheel. I am now seeking advice for what to buy to pull it. Your input would be greatly appreciated. The 5th wheel is a 2017 Prime Time 338-RSK, 36'8" long and empty weighs 10,800 pounds. I want to if possible buy something used in lieu of new. Any suggestions on what would be best, ie deisel, gas, make model, years, would be a great help. Yhanks in advance.
I think with whe unit you have srw 3500 would be good. I have similar weights on mine I tow with a 2500 GMC gas. It does fine for the most part. I do wish I had the torque of the diesel. The gas truck will do what you need but if you plan on any mountain trips or big grades you will wish you had that diesel.

robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I think with whe unit you have srw 3500 would be good. I have similar weights on mine I tow with a 2500 GMC gas. It does fine for the most part. I do wish I had the torque of the diesel. The gas truck will do what you need but if you plan on any mountain trips or big grades you will wish you had that diesel.
Thanks, One of the vechicles I am looking at is a f-350 Dually, V-10 Gas, Its used but with only 58000 Miles on it. I would love a diesel, gonna have to see if the budget will allow it.
Springer7133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Prime Member

Without getting into brand specifics, I'd go with a 1 ton dually. Definitely get the diesel if you can. It costs a bit more but you will not be sorry.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

f 350/3500 dually .The engine power AND the braking power is what is needed for safe traveling,IMHO .
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Prime Member

I can't speak for other brands but My Silverado 2500 uses the same engine as the 3500 so engine power is no different. The 3500 has more payload capacity which is what you need to carry the pin weight of a 5er and not go over your specs.

While engine breaking a awesome, the ability to use the large truck lanes at any truck stop makes the diesel well worth it IMHO. Nothing was more aggravating then trying to find gas pumps I could navigate through while hauling 36' of trailer.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

We just finished a 32 day trip across the western states. We pulled a 13,900 lb 40ft 5th wheel with a 2014 Ford F350 Single Rear Wheel, Crew Cab, Shortbed PowerStroke Diesel. Although 300 lbs over max weight, both axles are underweight (see my post under "Weight police" if interested in actual scale ticket info), the truck did amazing. In my opinion, diesel is the way to go. As mentioned, just being able to pull your rig through the bigrig fuel lanes, almost makes it work it.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Hello,

That V 10 gas will be a hog on fuel, dry mileage also bad. If possible look for Diesel with a newer DEF engine. Service will be better than a older one as some engines have known issues with head bolts and gaskets.
SRW is fine, I see people towing 18,000 GVWR with SRW. I tow 16,000 with SRW and have been in very windy situations, no issues at all.

2013 Rockwood 8289WS 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS TT 2007 Golden Falcon 38FLA PM 1983 Corsair 21RB
2015 Ford F250 PS '13 F150 3.5 Eco '09 F150 5.4 l 1987 Merc Grand Marq 1982 Ford E250 CW
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

A couple of thoughts before I tout my bias...knowledge is primary.

You will no doubt be able to pull your 5er with a 2500/250 series or larger.

You'll have the most comfort going with a 3500/350 or greater 450/4500,550/5500 as far as the truck goes.

The difference in the cost of the truck (TV) in the used market, is actually a more a matter of your ability to negotiate, than anything else.

The cost difference in the trucks (TV) in the new vehicle market is really less than a a grand or three, amortized over the years of use, safety and integrity of the vehicle, become nominal. Again, your ability to negotiate is going to seriously close the gap in difference as well.

The difference in vehicle performance between gas and diesel, also somewhat controversial given cost, but with the cost factor removed, the diesel wins hands down in so many ways, you'd loose count trying to keep track. Gas is great, but its design is around performance in terms of speed and acceleration and the like. Diesel on the other hand, was intended to be the work horse in the world, and with all its torque, it is.

There is a whole lot of debate about single rear wheel (SRW) v. dual rear wheel (DRW) and I'm biased toward SRW without a doubt. But you can't argue with numbers (or so they tell me) and the majority of folks pulling bigger trailers will tell you they get more stability (WHEN THE LOAD IS ON) with the daully. The engineers will rightly tell you, the footprint is larger with the dually, and the weight is distributed over more area, and more wheel (in this case the same thing). So...the dually gets the nod in a strictly numeric basis.

If you are going 4x4, there is great evidence that one brand over the other will be your better choice. It might have some merit if you were going back 10 or more years, but currently the rigs are all reasonably reliable and predictable.

Now for the bias, I'm a Dodge Ram Cummin's guy. Always have been, always will be. I've held off-road racing records in Jeeps (A FCA Product) and 2500/250 class 4x4...all won in Dodge Ram products.

That said, I've owned and drove 2500 Series Suburbans for years, and pulled 8 to 35 foot bumper pulls with them all over the north American continent. It's looking like I'm about to buy a Ford F-450/F-550 4x4 to address my Truck Camper/Toy Hauler needs, because they are the only thing I can find. For ever 25 Fords I find, I'm lucky to find maybe two used Dodge Ram 4500/5500, and likewise a 4500 or 5500 GMC/Chev.

My daily driver a Ford Tarus gave me the confidence to look at the Fords.

I also as they stopped making the 2500 series Suburban, was able to find a suitable vehicle again in the Dodge Ram MegaCab 2500...which I absolutely love. So there you have one persons fact based and observed explanation and personal experience. Hope it helps and wish you luck. Let us know what you choose.

Best to you and your family. Let us know what you do and how it worked out for you!
mfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

I got a great deal on a lease return of a Chevy 2500HD diesel with 8860 miles on the clock. It came with a new truck warranty. It is not the highest grade interior wise, but the mechanics under the hood and body of truck is the same as the more expensive version. The one feature I like the best on this diesel engine truck is the exhaust brake. I tow a 32 ft. 5th wheel and on those long downhill grades with the exhaust brake engaged, I do not have to touch the foot brake. With a diesel truck, you can also install an auxiliary bed mounted fuel tank, legally. I have a total of 96 gals. fuel capacity and use the big truck fuel lanes to refuel. I own a GMC gas version of this truck before, I will never return to gas for towing. The diesel truck has 780 foot pounds of torque compared to 380 for the gas truck. I get better fuel mileage towing, 13 mpg on the diesel, the gas was around 10 mpg if I kept the speed down to 55 mph and the RPM's below 2000. This diesel truck is 4 wheel drive, where as the gas truck was 2 wheel drive.

Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel