Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

New Vs Used

Shopping for first RV. I'm finding on here that build quality is not as good as cars are and that many new ones seem to have "teething pains" as they accumulate miles.
Does the general rate of troubles continue or as things get fixed is an RV more reliable? I'm finding prices for low mileage previously enjoyed units more attractive.
Comments?

Thanx.
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

If you are relating to MH's then good maintenance with records are important. Low mileage is not necessarily a good thing (or bad). Mileage only reflects on the power train and not the overall use or condition of the MH. Usually the nit pic items will be out of the way with a used MH, and most of the major items will have been taken care of at the time they happened, but there is no way of predicting future major problems regardless of mileage. Certainly the depreciation will help make a used MH more attractive and depends on how long you plan to keep it.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

In February we bought a 2007 Coachman Freelander with 7800 miles - it looked like new. We bought it for my wife music business and we have been using it most weekends since we got it. We just got back from a 2200 mile trip on Tuesday and we're heading out again on Friday. It has performed flawlessly for the almost 10,000 miles we put on it so far. I made some modifications to make things suit me, but the only repair was the generator fuel pump, it would fail when it was really hot outside. That was harder to trouble shoot than it was to fix. For a third of the price of a new motorhome - we are VERY happy with our choice to buy used!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

We kicked this around for over a year before buying new.The biggest (and only) reason was because we now knew if there are/were any water intrusion issues,which is the death of an RV if not addressed as soon as its detected.I am very anal about checking for leaks and perform checks on a weekly basis when we are on the road.Most new teething issues can easily be fixed,not so with water intrusion.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Depreciation comparable to a new car vs used?

Sorry--I just posted a similar question in another location then found this one--my husband and I are in the same position--first motorhome, looking at Class C (forester or sunseeker) and trying to decide between new and used. Would those of you in the know say that the $ you lose on depreciation is similar to a new vs used car, or is it different somehow?
Ozeek is offline   Reply With Quote