Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

nonowner car insurance

Any recommendations for car insurance for driver who does not own a car?
Thanks in advance,
Echambers
echambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

Auto insurance goes with the auto not the driver. If you are saying you own the car and someone that does not own a vehicle is driving it then you need to add their name to your auto policy as an authorized driver. If you yourself do not own a auto and want to drive some else's auto then they need to add you to their policy. If you are renting a car then purchase the insurance the rental agency offers.
Trying to figure out what you are wanting to know and who is it for?
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

In CT you need auto insurance to get a drivers license (sp). I don't know how to get insurance without a vehicle though.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Insurance required

Are you sure? The CT driver's license application is here: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/r-229.pdf

It doesn't say anything about insurance requirements.

Typically you must provide proof of insurance when registering a car. But millions of people get driver's licenses without having a car of their own to drive.
bmcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You should be able to get an umbrella liability policy. The liability is the part of an auto insurance that you're required to have in most locations. An umbrella policy should cover that (confirm with your insurance agent though).

Can we ask what you want this for? There's lots of possible insurances out there, so knowing a little more about what you want we can help point you to the right policy.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

Looks like they changed that law. I needed to show proof of insurance for my son prior to him getting a license 3 years ago. I couldn't find it this time.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
Looks like they changed that law. I needed to show proof of insurance for my son prior to him getting a license 3 years ago. I couldn't find it this time.

That sounds different than just needing to show insurance for a license. Back when I first got mine my parents had to do something similar, because I was becoming a licensed driver who would have access to a vehicle within the same household. But I think it was the insurance company that required it, not the licensing board (MTO here in Ontario.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #8

For someone to get a drivers license there is a written test but also a driving test (typically) and the requirement would be that the applicants car used has insurance coverage on it and the applicant is covered under that policy. Don't think the test official would get into a vehicle to test someone without being covered by insurance. I think this is where the requirement an applicant must have insurance even if one does not own a vehicle.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
For someone to get a drivers license there is a written test but also a driving test (typically) and the requirement would be that the applicants car used has insurance coverage on it and the applicant is covered under that policy. Don't think the test official would get into a vehicle to test someone without being covered by insurance. I think this is where the requirement an applicant must have insurance even if one does not own a vehicle.
Makes sense.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #10

That is what I said before. The car has the insurance on it and the driver(s) should be named on the policy. It driver is not required to own the insurance policy, it is the car owner that is required to cover the insurance.
KT4W
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
While that makes sense, around here a lot of people use the driver's ed car to take their test, and they wouldn't be named on that policy. I've also known people who take the test with a rental car and I bet a lot of those don't take the additional insurance.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Infractee

BooBoo23

maybe state insurance laws are different where you are but here in Texas, "liability" insurance is on you, the driver, it only covers the other persons car, or property or person. It does not cover the car you are driving or your medical.
You must have liability insurance to legally be allowed to drive. With liability insurance you can legally drive any vehicle regardless of being named on a policy.
Comprehensive and collision coverage stays with the car because comp and collision only cover that car, not drivers, not other cars.

In Texas you can get liability insurance even if you do not own a car. Many employers are required to purchase this for their employees who do not own a vehicle yet must drive a company vehicle.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
While that makes sense, around here a lot of people use the driver's ed car to take their test, and they wouldn't be named on that policy. I've also known people who take the test with a rental car and I bet a lot of those don't take the additional insurance.
That is a commercial policy and drivers wouldn't be specified under those terms. Just like truck drivers are not specified under their insurance but they are an employee and covered under those terms. As to a rental car you either have to purchase their insurance or sign a release saying you had an insurance. If not you have better not have an accident. Because people flaunt the law we are required to pay extra for uninsured drivers (like the many illegal aliens driving around with no drivers license OR insurance).
KT4W
Old 08-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I think you will find that a company or entity that provides driver training and the use of their vehicles to get a license has an insurance policy to cover all contingencies. The people who don't take the extra insurance (key words) are covered under a policy on something and all that entails. I still believe one must show proof of insurance coverage that would protect the person administering a driving test.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
fx2

Most insurance companies will write a "non-owner" policy. The cost is pretty minimal. I know for sure that Bristol West (part of Farmers) and Mercury will write them in CA

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote