Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #11

licknab-
Congratulations on your purchase. We bought new last year. Also looked at Grain Valley, but ended up buying from Liberty RV. One Grain Valley dealer (won't name names) wouldn't budge on their prices and really didn't seem interested in selling us anything. The other dealer was willing to negotiate, but started telling little white lies when I started asking about towing with my existing truck (I had already researched the numbers and he kept trying to sell us bigger and saying we would have no problem!)
Liberty RV was really involved with our purchase and we couldn't be happier. Although I kind of thought after a year they would contact us to see how things were going?!! Anyway, I hope you enjoy your camper. As for camping options...Watkin's Mill is a really nice place and not too far from home!

2010 Rockwood 2701SS
Killman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #12

Congrats, we have a Salem 29BHSS and really like it, fits us well. Enjoy your new rig!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #13

Congrats!
We did the same thing, moved from tents to a tiny tent on wheel (1966 raven apache) then looked to educate ourselves -and are still learning.
No salesman was capable of truly explaining the difference between brands or identifying what you didn't get with the entry level models - I don't think any of these guys camp or they'd have a clue.
I was most concerned with construction quality - will it hold up? I'm happy with what we got, but learned a bit on what's missing with entry level units. For how much we'll use it that's fine, but if I were full timing i'd be better off with a high end model I think.
What we're missing...light switches on teh walls (kids can't reach the ceiling fixtures), hot water heater is manual start only, 'missing' cabinet access doors/drawers (got blank off plates instead). Minor things, but they are things you 'use' or notice everyday.

We went shopping to get a ~23' hybrid and ended up with our 28' bunkhouse - we're glad we did but it did entail buying a bigger TV than intended and that meant buying an older/ more well used one to keep within our budget.

Enjoy your new 'home'!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Glad you found a unit you like. You'll get to break it in on a nice warm weekend. I know you are in Wichita so you might consider Fall River. I went there a couple of times as a kid with my parents when they had a pop up Starcraft. I want to get back down there again.

Enjoy the TT!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback and info! I am always suspicious of dealers; boat, motorcycle, car, and camper.. they all seem to be cut from the same cloth. I tried car sales once, and I was simply no good at trying to put people into something that really did not fit them. That was practice at the dealer I worked at for a few months in my 20s. At any rate, I think we got a decent deal that I am happy with. We spend most weekends running up the road to El Dorado lake State Park, but want to get off the beaten path a little. Fall River is nice and not nearly as crowded!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #16

I forgot you mentioned you were boaters so you are already familiar with the lakes. It's probably close to 35 years since I was at Fall River and hope to make a trip this fall. I wish the Kansas State Parks had a little better interactive website. I don't want to run the risk of going down there without reservations but I would like to have an idea of what the sites are like and the size of trailer they can handle. Between the truck and TT, I am pushing 55 feet.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #17

Yes, I agree on the kansas state parks.. I wish they were more like the parks/sites on recreation.gov! I love being able to pull up a map of a campground and select a site that I can reserve. I've never had a TT at El Dorado, but when I go on my runs around the lake I see many of the sites look very full! But, I can get from my driveway to boat in the water at ElDorado in about 45 minutes.