Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
Opinions are great, thanks

Thanks for all of the suggestions... now I am getting worried. After reading the Forum for a few months I fear that we are headed toward buying a unit that will have problems. I hope I am wrong?

After spending thousands on a new TT I hope to find that it was put together well, am I expecting too much? I hope many owners find that their TTs are good and not a big bag of problems?

Maybe many people post their troubles and not their good stories in the Forum... I hope so. let me know if your TT turned out to be a good investment, I need some good news.

SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
I think for every one complaint you have X umber of satisfied customers. We just are more likely to complain than write about experiences that meet our expectations. While doing our research for a travel trailer I joined jAyco and Keystone forums and experienced the same on those sites.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by SkipBest View Post
Maybe many people post their troubles and not their good stories in the Forum...
as someone who has been on various RV forms for 10 years, this is the real truth about them.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Some may disagree, but I would never own another rv without a fireplace. We love ours. The big thing about purchasing a new RV is to purchase from a good dealership. One that you know will take good care of you. I had several problems with my new fifth, however my dealership and Forest River took good care of everything. The dealership even worked the repairs around my very frequent uses. Now that we have gone through the initial repairs ( 3 years now), we are very "happy campers".
Flagstaff 8528 ckss fiver
2008 Ford f350 dually 4x4 desiel
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Canadian Member
Thermo pane windows - If you camp in the winter where it snows or the summer where oranges grow, they might be worth it.

Rear ladder - As Turbs said you can't add it afterwards. A local dealer told me he doesn't recommend them because kids like to climb them when you're not around. I haven't heard that problem here on the forum but there may be some truth to it. It's definitely more convenient than leaning an extension ladder against the trailer.

Slide topper - absolutely, on every slide.

Wood look floor - same dealer said they tend to show the dirt more than the tile look. I don't know if that's true but personally I prefer the tile look.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #16
Our current trailer is a Puma Unleashed we have the Wood floor "look" & love it. Would get it again. It does not show the dirt any different than any other flooring that we have had. Do like the Cherry Cabinets & Raised Panel Frig door. Does make it a little darker inside.

Agree with the other opinions .....we could not get the ladder (it was available & would have been nice) But our gate is too narrow & close to the road (have to go through at an angle) Being we have a TH the ladder is on the side instead of the rear. It would be gone by now.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
My two cents:

Get the ladder. It may not be able to be added later. I did not get the slide toppers, but wish I had. I hate climbing the ladder (see what I did there )and sweeping the leaves, pine needles etc off my slides before packing up to come home. I can't say anything about the windows because I have no experience with them.

I love my camper and have not had any problems with it. I too read the horror stories and was scared when I ordered mine. Just do a detailed PDI and go from there. That's all I did. I hope it helps.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #18
Slide toppers, IMO, are a must! Also best from the factory as they actually do a better install because they know exactly where the frame members are and do more of them than any dealer. Ever see wrinkled fabric on a topper? See one end taunt and the other sagged? Both? Well, that is the indicator of a dealer-installed topper. Seems all techs don't bother to read the instructions and hang the mounting channel with a body line, usually the roof, instead of a line parallel to the top of a slide.

Thermopane windows, are not a must IMO based on our camping habits. If we're talking a couple hundred bucks, I'd do them. I was shopping another brand last year and to go thermopane was a $1300 add-on for 53 sq ft of glass! No I would go with automotive style, "frameless" windows if an option.

Ladder, IMO, not needed if you've got step ladders at home. If you have slide toppers, you've no need to be on the roof regularly. How often will you be be on the roof otherwise while traveling really? Something goes awry, and you can DIY, I've yet to be in a campground where a fellow camper doesn't have a ladder they're happy to loan! We also cover our camper for the winter and I personally don't like dealing with ladders where an RV cover is concerned. I have other reasons for forming my opinion for skipping the ladder too, but you were just looking for opinions to tally it seems.

Happy camping!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
I like your choices for options but if it were me I'd add the heated holding tanks. Our 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS came with them and on early November trips they got used.

We didn't have any problems with our Rockwood. DW still misses the outside kitchen.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote