Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Opinions on custom edition and new vs used

My family thinks we have settled on what is known as the 25MB (25 foot with front Murphy bed and back bunkhouse with 4 bunks. It's a custom edition sold in Omaha called the patriot edition.
While I think the "sale price" is reasonable, I am surprised I can't get the dealer to make any price concessions- I mean none.
My biggest fear is he said they are already discounting big time due to trying to blow out the inventory as they just didn't sell as good as they hoped with the Murphy bed. Obviously I keyed on that thinking I could get a better deal since they aren't in high demand.

Well, after walking out of the dealer, I found a used on that supposedly has only been used once or twice. It sounds like they paid about $3k more a year go for the unit and thus they want to sell it only at about a $1k-$1500 discount to the new one.

Wanted to get some opinions on buying something that has no real comparables out there also, thoughts on if I should be getting a better deal either from the dealer or the used/private sale.

Since this is my first TT, do you think I am better off paying a couple grand more for the support I likely will need from the dealer if I have problems?

Lots of questions and I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Jay.
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum

As the used camper is a year old no matter how often it was used, it has deppreciated 1 year...$1000-1500. The used camper will have zero warranty so I'd go with the new unit for $1000-1500 more, have a ful year warranty and the option of a second year warranty for $150.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

I'm with Dave on this one.
I'll buy a used house and bring my bed with me.
I will not buy a furnished, used house.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Always Learning

Another vote the same- if it were my money, there's not enough of a discount. I did the same looking at trucks and for five grand, I bought new.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Team

posting the brand or manufacturer of the trailer would help us look it up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Welcome to the forum

As the used camper is a year old no matter how often it was used, it has deppreciated 1 year...$1000-1500. The used camper will have zero warranty so I'd go with the new unit for $1000-1500 more, have a ful year warranty and the option of a second year warranty for $150.

Dave
Dave is right on. I know this gave me peace of mind when I first became an RV owner. Getting more information or feedback on pricing can help you with the decision.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #7

More detail: it's a 2012 FR patriot edition grey wolf 25MB. New unit Dealer price $13k. Used unit asking $11,500 with a transferable extended warranty (waiting on details on the warranty to see terms, length, etc).

I will be paying cash so financing isn't an issue. I am getting rid of an '02 popup and trading would make it easy although am only being given $2500 on the trade when I likely could get $3000-$3500 on resale..

Thanks for the great feedback and opinions!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Team

I paid cash for my unit and was surprised that it sort of worked against instead of for me. Dealers usually can count on making additional money from financing and when paying cash some dealers will keep the price up a bit.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

Interesting point on financing. I kind of wondered that myself. I don't know if they self finance or if they get a kickback from a bank. I would be willing to finance if it saved a little money, then just pay it off a month later.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Team

Odd isn't it? One would had thought offering payment in full would be helpful especially since there would be no concern of the owner failing to continue to make payments.

If you do finance with the goal of paying it off early please double check the fine print to make sure you can do so without additional costs. Not all loans are created equal.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro04 View Post
Interesting point on financing. I kind of wondered that myself. I don't know if they self finance or if they get a kickback from a bank. I would be willing to finance if it saved a little money, then just pay it off a month later.
That's a very good idea. It will cost you nothing to pay it off in a month and you'll get more negotiating room with the dealer. Rest assured they will get something from the lender if financed.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote