Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Our First TT

Hello, I hope I am posting in the correct forum.
We hope be buying a New TT sometime in the very soon! We are more than ready to sleep in a TT instead of tents. We had one all picked out,
Salem Hemisphere Hyper-Lyte 26RL but we waited a couple of days too long to commit and then it sold. This was back in early April.

We waited several weeks, for another that was supposed to come in, and that has turned into over three months. We keep going back to check and have since started looking at other TT's available and are wondering if we should just go ahead and make a larger investment and possibly avoid having to or maybe even wanting to upgrade in the future, if that is possible.

Flagstaff's 831FKBSS has caught our eye.
It is quite a bit more than we had hoped to spend, and it is almost 5' longer.
We like the Patio Door and Love the King Size Bed.
It is fitted with Furrion Wireless observation/backup camera mounting kit.
Which we would add.

We have Grandchildren that will occasionally camp with us and we like how both of these have the bathroom somewhat between the Bedroom and alternate sleeping areas. Down the road when retirement comes around we'd love to travel south to FL or warmer climates for a few weeks before the worst of winter hits. Since we are first time pullers of a TT we thought we should get some feedback and recommendations on what to look for and to avoid. Our Tow Vehicle is a
2016 Silverado 2500HD - Duramax Thanks so much!
HoosierCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

I'm about to open up a can of worms but, what are you going to be towing it with?

On the waiting for one to come in....don't. Find some floor plans you like, look at pictures and videos online, then try to find one at a dealer somewhere that you can look at. Find examples of colors and cabinets also and try to look at some units with those interiors and see what looks good to you. I actually couldn't stand my interior when looking at pics....turns out I ended up ordering those colors after seeing what they looked like together in person. Get with the dealer and look at the options available. You can pick and choose what you want. For instance...I'm in S Tx and have absolutely no need for heated holding tanks. I killed that option and spent the money on a second power roof fan and roof ladder. Find out exactly what YOU want and then order it if you don't find what you're looking for on a lot. It doesn't cost any more.

Sounds like the dealer isn't taking you seriously anyway. Tell them you want to order something and give them a downpayment. Takes about two months to get a brand new unit built for you.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Thank you. I edited my post to add our Tow Vehicle.
Both of these have a floor plan that we really like ~ having the Bathroom accessible to both sleeping areas without disturbing/going through the other.
The main difference is about $10,000.00, Total Length, King Sized Bed, Quality of Cabinets and Counters. Patio Door, Camera Hook up, and the Flagstaff has the Roof Ladder. My Husband really would rather make a one time purchase and not trade or upgrade later. He asked me to try to get some feedback/reviews.
HoosierCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

If you plan to negotiate pricing, you should not keep going back and checking to see if the one you like came in. When you are ready to buy tell the dealer you want model X with Y options. Ask him for a price and delivery date. If you don't get what you want say thank you and go elsewhere. Many times you will get a call in a day or two with "Good news we found one". When you look at a unit, rather than standing in it and being impressed by all the flashy stuff, take the family with you. Sit down and imagine you are all stuck in it for a day or two in bad weather. Most people move up in a few years but you may not necessarily want to start in large 5er.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

It's nice to know what options are available when you look at them also. You'll probably have it for a while, so you might as well be happy with what you buy. Check out the link below. Evidently, they don't carry Flagstaff, but this is the Rockwood version of the one you're looking at. It's like GMC vs Chevy..same thing, slightly different interiors and decals. Don't really look at the prices since that varies greatly by area, but it'll let you see what's standard and what options are available.

New Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS Travel Trailer RVs For Sale at The Original RV Wholesalers