Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Overnight stay while traveling

We have had our motorhome for a year now and have had a lot of fun. One thing I think is missing is a place to stay and plug into just for the night. I mean we have pulled into a campground for the night and spent $30 to $45. I am thinking something like a truckstop but a RVstop, a convenience store/gas station with 10 to 20 pull thru sites with electric for $15 or $20 for the night. Whats your opinion? Good idea? Bad idea? Would you use it?

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Retired on the weekends

While I think that is a good idea, my fear is that people will use a feature like that to their advantage. I can imagine a parking lot full of run down RV's with blue tarps, flat tires, and trash every where.

We stay at walmarts whenever possible, just to save a few bucks. At least in my neck of the woods, unplugged, during the summer time the furnace will keep the kids and DW warm enough at night, if it's needed at all, but during the winter the batteries will be very low when you wake up in the morning. It would be nice to plug in in a safe, quiet spot over night that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

I think that all rv parks should offer a special, low rate for travelers who show up after the office closes. The price could be taylored to what you consume during the several hours you're actually there. Think of the loyalty a park could build with a service like this.

Put the electric on a meter, water on a counter, and sewer could be a add on, if needed. Heck, make the utilities into a vending machine!.... Pay by the hour !

CLICK HERE FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RV GROUP
The RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RB View Post
While I think that is a good idea, my fear is that people will use a feature like that to their advantage. I can imagine a parking lot full of run down RV's with blue tarps, flat tires, and trash every where...
Limit stays to 20 hrs max with a clean up deposit required and check out mandatory by 10 am. Pickup deposit at checkout.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Always Learning

I think the Ohio turnpike offers overnight parking with 30amp hookups.

There are a couple of inexpensive places along I-95 that generally cater to the overnight/transient crowd.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

I think a place like that would be nice, as long as it was close to the interstate or a main highway.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

There’s an RV Express in near Booneville, MO that is similar to what you’re thinking about. Basically it’s a gravel parking lot with full hookups and nothing more just off I-70. It has self-checkin but they still have to charge 20 to 25 bucks a night to make a profit. We prefer real RV parks so we pass that one by.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

KOA kinda stays on track with this idea. Flat, right off the interstate, after hour check in. price is a little higher than the OP mentioned, but worth it. We used them all the way to Yellowstone and back. Stopped early enough each day to enjoy them. couldn't wait to get to the next one to see what it was like.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb36 View Post
I am thinking something like a truckstop but a RVstop, a convenience store/gas station with 10 to 20 pull thru sites with electric for $15 or $20 for the night. Whats your opinion? Good idea? Bad idea? Would you use it?
I'm sure there are people this would appeal to - but think about it from the other side. As a business model, 20 sites at $15 per night could generate a maximum of $300 a day. Figure in the cost of overhead (land, improvements), labor for an attendent (even at min wage for 8 hrs, that is $75 with payroll taxes & comp) and utilities and then determine what the occupancy % is, it doesn't leave much for profit.

Customer loyalty and repeat business could be an issue. Let's say I go to Florida every winter for X weeks. If this operation is on my way through NC or SC, sure I would stop and gladly pay $15 for hookups on my way there. And if the distance works out right where it is also in a good spot for the way back, I'll stop again on my way back. Even if its the greatest thing going, I only use it 2 nights a year.

And one last thought - if your target market is the guy who is too cheap to spring for a campground at $45, you run the risk of that guy also being to cheap to spend $15 for water & electric and he goes for the Walmart parking lot.

As an add-on to a truck stop or gas station along the right interstate, it might be a good revenue booster for an already operating business. I think this would have great appeal to a segment of RV'ers, but is the market really big enough to support a business? But adding this to an existing truck stop or gas station chain where your start-up and operating costs are low might work.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

All Stays, an app for iPad users, etc., is a good source of info for cheap/free overnight stays throughout the country.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
Always Learning

It isn't quite as cheap as $15-$20 but, Carolina Crossroads on I-95 apparently offers an "after 6pm check-in rate" of $30 (which is only a few bucks less than their regular rates). But, it's the same kind of idea. I wonder if more interstate parks near the highway would/could adopt this idea.

RV Resort @ Carolina Crossroads About Us / Rates

That siad, The South of the Border is $20-$25:

ACCOMMODATIONS « South Of The Border ~ America’s Favorite Highway Oasis
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #11

Really - South of the Border??!!? I would never stay or eat there. Just buy the .10 bumper stickers to annoy my friends. Lots of crime (at least a year or two back) in that area. As economy improves it may have changed but...
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Really - South of the Border??!!? I would never stay or eat there. Just buy the .10 bumper stickers to annoy my friends. Lots of crime (at least a year or two back) in that area. As economy improves it may have changed but...
We didn't stay overnight there, but we did eat there and spent a couple of hours midday a year ago in December (2012).

The food at their mexican restaurant was pretty subpar.

I'm planning on hitting their RV park this coming December if we go away for Christmas.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb36 View Post
We have had our motorhome for a year now and have had a lot of fun. One thing I think is missing is a place to stay and plug into just for the night.
We visited Dauphine Island, Ala., and on the way south through Ala. noticed a couple of RV dealers hard by the interstate who had put in a "camp" adjacent to their lots. No landscaping, no picnic tables, just a gravel pad with hook ups.
How smart is that, having a place for travelers to camp next to your parts and service centers? I'm surprised more dealers don't do this.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just a thought...

Passport America The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #15

I agree with KMP44's numbers. We've all seen privately owned campgrounds that are only 25% - 50% occupied. The overhead is about the same whether full or 25% full. In 1972 I spent over a month traveling with a small pop-up and often paid $2 to $3 per night with no hookups but with hot showers. Many private campgrounds gave me less than the basic rate since I was solo. The Consumer Price Index shows that $2 to $3 in 1972 is equal to $11.16 to $16.74 today. I’ve often paid $20 per night for water and electric hookups, so the adjusted price isn’t much different, and you can bet that today’s operators have taxes and other overhead costs that didn’t exist in 1972.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #16

I have often thought about Walmart putting electric spots along their parking lots with meters were you could swipe a credit card and they could charge per hour or by usage. We also often stop at walmarts especially if it just for a quick over night stop and generally I will fire generator up which a can run for a few bucks per hour even with ac running.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Always Learning

In my random notes, I have that a Camping World in Pooler, GA has 5 spots with electric and water for overnight parking:
GA exit 102 off I-95 at Pooler, GA to Camping World.

5-parking lot sites with electric and water (first come, first served).
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
We visited Dauphine Island, Ala., and on the way south through Ala. noticed a couple of RV dealers hard by the interstate who had put in a "camp" adjacent to their lots. No landscaping, no picnic tables, just a gravel pad with hook ups.

Teach
We'll be traveling through Alabama in about 3 weeks and plan to spend a night around Birmingham. What interstate were you referring and can you remember what town it was near or any other information. Thanks.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #19

I use South of the Border all the time. Its cheap, full hookup and away from all the touristy crap. Since beyond laundry I have never used the facilities at a campground that is all I need is cheap and level. I have found other places just like that, consistent power, level, full hookup and cheap which is all I need for 6-8 hours of sleep and a shower. My destination campgrounds are held to a higher standard.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
ARLO

Yeah! Right!

I personally do not care where we spend the night. Sometimes it's a reasonably priced campground or an RV park, or even a Walmart. It all averages out over time. $35000 for a trailer and $45000 for a truck to pull it at 10 miles a gallon. I am not worried about the extra ten bucks it might cost me to stay somewhere nice. i will just to leave less for the kids to inherit.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel