Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

I purchased my TT in Ohio. Didn't sign any contracts until delivery. The dealer appears to have conducted a very thorough PDI prior to my arrival, because I haven't been able to find anything wrong with it at all. When we closed the deal, they put a temporary Ohio plate on the camper, then mailed me a State of Ohio Memorandum Title, which I will use to register here in West Virginia.
Your out of state purchase should go pretty much the same way.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Steve & Phyllis

Keep in mind you could pay in advance and in a few weeks they close up. You then have a real problem trying to get your money back because they won't have it. I found out on my last camper that the dealer was 4hrs away on that I could go to any forest river auth place and get warranty work done near me but the items from walk through I had to wait on dealer to do. My Dad once told me if a deal made me nervous to walk away. Hope all works out great for you.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Should it work this way?
Ordered a camper in September and sent in the deposit. Not sure if the camper is off line yet but we are being asked to sign a financial contract and send them the balance due. I wanted to do a pdi before signing the contract and paying the difference. Also buying from out of state the registration comes into play, not sure how that works.

Can somebody explain to me the way an out of state purchase works. We will have to travel over 1000 miles to inspect and take delivery. I don't want to drive up to the dealer and have them say there it is, it's yours, take it as is.
This does NOT sound right...at ALL!

When we bought our 8289WS in SEP (From Dandy RV in Anniston AL -a 5 STAR daler BTW We asked them about getting one from the factory in Goshen (DW did not like the blue fabric interior) - Our salesman told us it would be a 5-6 week MAX wait and probably less because they are a FR volume dealer.

Turned out one unit that was on hold fell through and we snagged that one (with the brown interior :he wait time for a factory made unit.

Previous experience with Forest River (our Surveyor TT back in 2006): we custom ordered from the factory and took delivery of the unit 5 weeks after placing the order. Back then, we were required to put $500 Earnest money down on order but even with that we could have walked away ($500 poorer)

As for the dealer wanting the balance now before you have done a PDI? I would RUN, not walk away from this dealer - if you can get your deposit back. If not, you may want to consider retain counsel.

Here is what our pickup was like at our RV Dealer (Dandy): We arrived with our trade in & they took our truck and the unit to process. We were taken to the bay and given our PDI on our 8289WS. The tech said he would be back in 30 min and wanted us to go over the unit with a fine tooth comb and let him know of any concerns. He came back, we had a list (all minor) he took us to a waiting room gave us coffee and donuts and came back 45 min later and we completely redid the PDI - he pointed out the fixes to our concerns. My wife made a couple of off hand comments to me - honeydos: you will need to mount the towel holder here, this do dad there and this thing here....

We were taken to finance where the owner of the dealership met us, asked if there were any concerns, and made sure everythign was done. Finance manager had us sign for the unit, explained the etended warranty - blah blah blah -- point is NOT ONE DOLLAR changed hands until we were completely satisfied with a eyes-on hands-on inspection of our unit.

Oh...after we signed the PDI tech came in and got my wife...took her to the unit and confirmed that she wanted the towel holder mounted here, this do dad there and this thing here and said he would have them installed while we were waiting for our hitch to be installed on our truck AND he came back ina hour and tooks us back to inspect the installation! (I slipped him a $20 for his troubles

So there you have what I consider platinum service as a benchmark. If you are gonna travel 1,000 miles for your unit, other than coming on down to Alabama...hell, I'd consider going toGoshen and picking it up at the plant
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

our dealer wanted the same, I gave him 100 dollars and told him thats it.. we bought a new unit the prior year from them so he knew we were ok

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
<SNIP> I found out on my last camper that the dealer was 4hrs away on that I could go to any forest river auth place and get warranty work done near me <SNIP>
yeahbut...we have a "Forest River Authorized" dealer here in Huntsville that I would not let my worst enemy use I will drive the 2 hours to the folks I trust
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #16

Agree with what others have said. I would never give a dealer any more than a token amount until the sale is complete. Any number of things could happen and you would be out the entire amount you gave them. We live in Florida and purchased our trailer from a dealer in Tennessee who had the unit we wanted. I signed a purchase agreement and sent them a $300 deposit to hold the trailer until we returned from a cruise.

We then drove up to Tennessee to pick it up. We did our PDI, they put a temp tag on the trailer and we pulled it back to our house in Florida. I did not pay any sales tax in Tennessee as we were going to register the trailer in Florida.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #17

No pdi no pay!!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #18

We dealt with RV Direct back in 2010. We gave them $1000.00 down to order the unit. When it came off the line and they had the serial number, we had to pay the balance. They were great to deal with and we had no problems. The only question I did not ask was if their insurance kicks in if it's damaged or destroyed while they are shipping it from the factory.
2013 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET
scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Might give them a small down payment on it, but there would be a very thick layer of ice forming in hell before I made a full payment without having a pdi on it regardless of how good a deal it was or who the dealer was/is. IMO, that is taking naivety to the ultimate limit, just asking, no begging to get shafted. The dealer goes south and your money goes with him.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #20

I would check with the BBB about that company.When I bought mind I put down 2000 then when it came in we sign the papers and brought it home

2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper