Old 12-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Paying for Camper

Should it work this way?
Ordered a camper in September and sent in the deposit. Not sure if the camper is off line yet but we are being asked to sign a financial contract and send them the balance due. I wanted to do a pdi before signing the contract and paying the difference. Also buying from out of state the registration comes into play, not sure how that works.

Can somebody explain to me the way an out of state purchase works. We will have to travel over 1000 miles to inspect and take delivery. I don't want to drive up to the dealer and have them say there it is, it's yours, take it as is.

PhoneDude 8289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

I would never sign on the dotted line and pay in full without doing a PDI first.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The only reason they would have for making you sign sight unseen, is if they didn't have the financial resource to the receive the unit themselves. I wouldn't sign until I saw the unit. Not sure they can make you.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
I would never sign on the dotted line and pay in full without doing a PDI first.
Completely agree with this. I would also let them know your intent of doing a full inspection first and that you will not take delivery or pay until any found items are corrected. This might make them go over it with more of a fine tooth comb first (if not part of their normal practices).

When buying locally you can bring it back in easier, but you are traveling a long way to get this and the last thing you want is to drive home with issues and how you might get them corrected on your mind.

If they have issue with this, you might need to put some thought into your purchase.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I wouldn't be able to get financing without having the VIN and even so- wouldn't be comfortable/willing to give them more than my initial deposit.

I put $5k down on my camper. A couple of weeks later, on a Sunday no less, the dealer called asking for another $20k. I politely refused and we settled up the day that I took possession.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Agree with others, I wouldn't give them an more $ or sign anything until I was satisfied with the PDI.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

do not sign until camper physically there. if they keep insisting, walk away and keep looking. as anybody here can tell you, this wont be the only camper you fall in love with. it would be better to lose the deposit (hard pill to swallow) than to part with all your money and be miserable.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Should it work this way? Ordered a camper in September and sent in the deposit. Not sure if the camper is off line yet but we are being asked to sign a financial contract and send them the balance due. I wanted to do a pdi before signing the contract and paying the difference. Also buying from out of state the registration comes into play, not sure how that works. Can somebody explain to me the way an out of state purchase works. We will have to travel over 1000 miles to inspect and take delivery. I don't want to drive up to the dealer and have them say there it is, it's yours, take it as is.
100% in advance... No Way! Curious how you ordered it and the terms of that order. Most states have a 3 day buyers remorse period which begins at the date of purchase as well. As for out of state registration, that differs by state. Check with your DMV/BMV/Tax Collector. In most cases you get the MCO - Manufactures Certificate of Origin and take that and your bill of sale to one of the above offices, register for title if required, get plates and most of all, turn in your first born for taxes.
They want your money, they will help you.
Some dealers can do that for you but there is a fee. So you can save bucks easily. Suggest you make sure the dealer is not charging for it as a hidden cost. Enjoy
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
MI Camperz

What's more...if they don't deliver b/c they are cash strapped without you paying in advance (which you should NOT do), you can then sue them for breach of contract and all your expenses incurred in the process.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
This.

If they have a problem, tell them to call your lawyer and then walk.

Tags
camper