Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #1

PDI Costs

Iam looking at getting a fifthwheel and am in the negotiating stage, dealer gave an out the price door, course I thought it was a little high, I asked him to break it down. The cost for the PDI was $690, does this seem a little high, it is only a 29 ft FW with nothing special on it.

The other thing is he said he knocking $1500 off listed price because MFG was giving him a credit. which brought the FW to $31000, We were also adding a Fantastic Fan and 3 slideout covers,He gave me an out the door price . When he asked me what I thought about the out the door price, I said that it didnt look bad and would thnk about it. Well the next day is when I went back and asked for a breakdown of how he had gotten to the out the door price. He brought up the paperwork and thats when I seen the PDI of 690 plus tag and tax costs and $400 for Fan and $1200 Covers, total was equal to the quoted out the door price given the day before, however the price of the Trailer ($31000) had changed to $31300, I asked about this and he said he had to change figures to get to the quoted out the door price. Does this seem right

Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Just purchased a 2011 Blue Ridge. MSRP $50,297 sell price $37,431. PDI no charge (took 4.5hrs). Processing fee $199. Had them install a Fantastic Fan w/remote $426.55 installed, 3 slide awnings $1,572 installed. Took 2 techs 6hrs. Gave $20k for my 06 Arctic Fox trade which was a fair price. Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

Shoe2728, if you include the brand and the model of the 5'th wheel, You might get better feedback. The prices vary widely.

When I purchased my travel trailer, I paid nothing for PDI, and they installed my equalizer hitch for me. Did you check the price your dealer gave with RVDIRECT or RV wholesalers at all ?

My dealer installs the sideout awnings for 499 on sale just as an FYI. 400 dollars for fantastic fan is on the pretty high side even installed.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #4

You will not know where you are at unless you ask at least 10 dealers for identical quotes, this is easy on the internet, then find out how low each will go to get the business. Calculate delivery costs, read the forums about dealer reputations, check out warranties, etc.

I am not speaking from experience but have just bought my first rv and did exactly that to get the best price.

Okay, I might pay later, might is the key word here, and its risk versus cash in the pocket!
and paid nothing for PDI. You can get a few freebies thrown in too.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Does this seem right?

No, I think you are getting screwed. Sign nothing.

There are many sites that list automobile "Manufacturer Invoice Price" (commonly called Dealer Invoice) and "Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price" (commonly called MSRP) so you have a chance of a fair price at the dealer (typically "Invoice plus $200 plus tax, tags and 1% Dealer Fee (sometimes called an advertising charge).

Unfortunately there is no such thing in the RV world. However, Since the dealer mark up runs about 40% (the HIGHEST of anything sold in the good old USA) a good "Rule of Thumb" is to add up all the MSRPs of the coach plus all options; divide it in half and make that your initial offer. NEVER answer "Well, what kind of payment can you afford?" You are screwed the minute you do since he will do whatever, say whatever, he has to to get you to commit to a PAYMENT.
You will definitely overpay with that strategy.

He will of course freak out. Tell him you have a firm offer from RV Wholesalers for 60% of MSRP, and he could at least match that. He won't but will make a much better counter offer.

Remember you want him to work you UP from YOUR price, not DOWN from his. He must justify why his dealership is worth 30% off MSRP.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK OUT. Tell him you have no problem driving to "wherever" to pick it up to save 30 or 40%.
DO go on the wholesaler's website for a quote on your camper equipped the way you want it. You will be SHOCKED how much room there is in the dealer's showroom for "negotiation."
Knowledge is POWER. Go ARMED.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Ditto what's been said above. The internet is your friend.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

I will give you an example of how widely prices change. The unit I have sells anywhere from 18K to 29K. There is a HUGE difference in prices. You have to shop, make calls, go to RV shows, contact the volume sellers if you want to save money.

Of course being used to haggling I paid less than that 18K and proud of it
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Imagine how the 29k guy feels about THAT!

Oh, and Goomph, don't let them convince you this is BS.
It is absolutely true.

Also, as many will tell you, make SURE you have everything in the deal!

I added one option after I closed and that one item was full MSRP for it. I decided after I wrote up the deal that I really DID want the tinted safety glass windows since I spend a lot of time in FL.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #9

Herk, Shoe2728 is the hunter for the RV, mine is already with me and I am happy with the price I paid.

He really needs to get out there and shop around. He is going to be really ripped off if he doesn't.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Sorry, the note about the Cautionary Tale was added as an afterthought.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW