Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
When I had smaller RVs with smaller tanks, I had a Tote. We opted to get a tote, which was big enough to drain the entire grey tank. The reason is, you can't really see the level of the water in the tanks, and if you misjudge, you have mess on your hands. If you only use it for the grey, that isn't too bad. However, if you also use it for black, it can get gross really quickly.

How often did we use it? Maybe about 3 times a year. Every other place had full hook ups. Is it a waste of money? Well, it is much easier than tearing down the RV, towing it to the dump station, and then hooking back up. Like everything else, the trade-off is up to you.
That's my thinking. Wouldn't want to "march order" the TT just to empty the tank.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #22

I have two forty gallon grey water tanks and one forty gallon black water tank. I'm ordering a bladder tank and a FloJet macerator for times that I don't have sewer.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #23

We have owned our tote for a number of years and use it quite often. Many of the CG we visit do not have full hookups. Ours is the grey one and I believe it is 32 gallons. When we are with the usual crowd there are three of us that empty then caravan to the dump station with our totes hooked to our trailer hitches. Kind of fun to watch everyone stare at us as we parade by. When I empty I usually have to make two trips to the dump station. Anytime we are staying for more then a few nights we take the tote with us and if we don't have to empty it does not hurt anything under the camper. Only bad/funny issue I have had was while making the last turn to the dump station I saw my tote in my passenger outside mirror rolling to the ditch. Luckily my brother in law was with me so we were able to drag it back to the road and hook it back up to the my truck. Cannot drive very fast while pulling them but it sure beats tearing down and pulling the fifth wheel to the dump station.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #24

After completing our first RV trip this past weekend, I believe that a tote is even more desirable. We avoided using our RV bathroom because it filled quicker than we anticipated. Luckily the CG toilets were within yards of our site.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #25

The one I have is a 22 gal Barker that I've had from the PUP days. Don't use it that often, since the TT can go 4 days with current config on a non-FHU site. It's only downside that I can see is, that it doesn't have wheels with bearings in them. The axle rides in a plastic hub. Hasn't caused any problems, but you would want to make sure that whatever you buy has bearings in the wheels
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #26

Liquid is 8 pounds a gallon, then add the contents of the black tank, gets heavy. I have the 15 gallon Barker and I do a "Clean and jerk" move into the back of my pick up. No problem for now, would not want it any heavier. Just a note, you can buy a "Bobber" that fits in the clean out hole which tells you when it is getting full, so no overfilling messes.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #27

I've had and used my tote since owning my previous TT. I did the usual parading from my site to the dump station pulling the tote traveling maybe 5 MPH and letting everyone know my business. It got to where filling the tank, hooking it up for transport. moving it and dumping it was a lot of trouble and pain in the lower back. Recently I found out that I have some type of herniated disc thingy. So, after much research on this forum I bought a "Flo-Jet Macerator pump". One of the best things I did for me. I ran a dedicated 10 ga. fused wire straight from the battery to the area of the dump valves then placed a two-pole connector on the wire and the pump for easy hook-up. I hook up the pump to the waste water drain, use a dedicated water hose just for this purpose, run the hose from the pump to the tank in the back of truck and fill the tank with either black or grey water. I take my slinky hose with me to the dump station, hook it to my tank and the dump station drain, then just raise my tank and all the bad water drains out into the dump station. IF the dump station has a usable water hose I rinse everything off and out. Sometimes I have to make two trips between the black and grey waste water. After using this set-up I flush out my dedicated waste water hose into the tote, wrap it around my back bumper, screw the hose ends together, secure with bungee cords and that is good to go. I rinse the pump well at water faucet, hopefully one with two faucets, set it aside to allow to dry, place it back in it's case then back into storage. I always leave the campsite with a couple of gallons of liquid in each tank so it will slosh around and help clean the sidewalls and ceiling of the tank. At home I have a fitting added to my septic tank so that I can use this pump and hose to do a real clean-out of the grey/black tanks. When clean I pour a gallon of water/Simple Green/toilet bomb into each tank and this has worked well for me.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #28

We prefer to stay at state or COE parks. In IL, not all SP/COE have full hookups, so we bought a tote for when we stay more than a couple days, which is about the limit for both our gray and black tanks. With the tote, we don't have to disconnect everything to tow the trailer to the dump station.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank