Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #1

Potential dilemma, opinions needed!

So, I really like camping in the Salem, either in a CG with hookups or dry camping. In fact, my favorite camping so far has been taking the Salem to the off-road park for the weekend and camping with my Jeeping buddies. Several of them are involved in competitive rock crawling and its fun to go cheer them on during a Saturday competition. The problem is, I can't take my Jeep with me to go wheeling on Sunday--can't tow the Salem and the Jeep, it's one or the other behind the truck. So it would appear that I need to get rid of the Salem in favor of one of these two options:

One--trade it for a TH that has a big enough garage to fit the Jeep. This would be just like camping currently, with maybe a bit less living space. Also a bit more for my truck to tow, weight-wise. Advantage also that I already have the truck and don't need another drivetrain to deal with.

Two--trade it in for a diesel pusher MH, and tow the Jeep on the car trailer behind it. This is probably the more expensive route (although I know THs are getting more and more pricey,) plus its another drivetrain to maintain. Advantage is that I wouldn't give up much in the living space part of the equation.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to be in this position, so I'd like to hear what others have done, if you'd do it differently the next time, pros and cons that I might have missed, any other options, etc. Ideas and opinions, please. Thanks!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #2

There is one other option. Get a truck bed camper and a car trailer.
Without getting it custom made, most of the TH's out there won't handle the weight and size of a jeep.
You can check on some Jeep forums.

Me and my wife with 3 kids love camping!!
dmf564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

You're married with dogs, could wife simply drive the jeep?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

How about something like this: http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau.../default.aspx? Looks to be a bit more than a typical TH for capacity, although they are heavy.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ya that's a tuff one. If money was no obstacle, ya , big MH,and pull jp!

And a toy hauler capable of hauling jeep,and tools,and extra tires mc.parts, would b prity heavy,don't know what TV you have,and understand,the another thing about another drivetrain to maintain.
This is kinda off the wall but, what about a small rollback?flatbead, haul jeep,tools,pull camper,and be a hero,when a buddy breaks badly,add a commercial ins. policy,and maybe make some $ while playn.
If you could find a used rollback for 5-6000,probly cheaper than a bigger toy hauler.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You're married with dogs, could wife simply drive the jeep?

No, seriously...that would require her to actually get up out of bed early on the weekends. Next suggestion.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Why a diesel pusher and not a gas powered Class A? A lot less money for the gas MH...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
No, seriously...that would require her to actually get up out of bed early on the weekends. Next suggestion.
Heh. Fair 'nuff!

Ok, what about a bigger truck? Like a small semi- you could possibly carry the jeep on the rear deck and then have the fifth wheel hitch behind it. I've seen pictures of Smart Cars carried that way for fulltimers.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

How about a smaller camper, like a pup or an A-frame, that you could tow with the Jeep?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #10

Looking at your signature I see you have a 2500. The TH linked above would carry the jeep, but you can bet the hitch weight would be above capacity for your truck. You'd have to upgrade the truck to an MDT/HDT.

Seemingly the cheaper option would be to get a GAS motorhome. You can generally keep that under 150 if you go for a bigger model, or even less depending. It's another drivetrain to keep, but it will also allow you to break down easier and hook up the jeep quickly. Not sure what Jeep you have, but given that even JKU's are under 5K, you'd be perfectly fine towing with a Gas MH.

Of course, if you WANT to go to a diesel pusher, more power to you and some of us (myself included) will certainly be jealous.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote