Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Pre Delivery Inspection

So I'm about a month or so from getting delivery of our first RV and after spending some quality time on some various forums it got me thinking that it would be great if there was a 3rd party company out there to go through the PDI process with me assuming it was at a reasonable rate. Being a Newb and reading about a lot of horror stories it only seems logical to me that there is a legit business opportunity here for some experienced RVers. Maybe this does exist already, but I can't seem to find any. Is anyone aware of such a service?

Jaibyrd
Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

FYI there is a PDI checklist in the Library section. If you have any experienced friends that are RV/campers it might not hurt to ask them to come along for the PDI. What could it cost - a 12 pack?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

What they are going to give you is a called "walk through". What you want to do is make it as close to a PDI as you can. A PDI is what the dealer does when it comes from the manufacturer. They fill the fresh water tank, holding tanks, pressurize the water system for at least 20 minutes ect...See as much stuff work as you can. Take your wife if you got one, what one forgets the other remembers. Good lookin out by the way...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Team

The PDI performs two functions. One is to make sure everything works or is identified for fixing. This could be done by a paid service. The other is to familiarize the new owner with the operation and location of all the controls and appliances. This would be missing is a paid service was used. Make or use a good check list and take your time. The dealer want the sale so hold off signing until you are satisfied with the PDI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

I wasn't happy with my pdi from fun town rv in wharton tx. I didn't really need to total walk through having owned previous trailers. When I got home and started looking things over the drain for the fridge was still inside the compartment, the battery box had nothing holding it to the trailer. Michael
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Team

I noticed the battery box on my Freedom Express was not held down and asked my dealer why they forgot that. They told me that they have never secured them and had never had one come off. FWIW my battery box is now secured to the frame.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I noticed the battery box on my Freedom Express was not held down and asked my dealer why they forgot that. They told me that they have never secured them and had never had one come off. FWIW my battery box is now secured to the frame.

I put a couple of rivets in the bottom of mine, it would be different if it fit in a frame, but mine just has angle iron from one side to the other with open ends.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Will also receive mine in a few weeks intended to stay in it one day at dealer and have plenty of time to check it inside out I'm experience with rv and if every thing ok will signed the check and leave
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #9

I hear that Pierre. Seen several others here as well recommending a stay at the dealer. May try to coordinate that as well. Makes sense.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibyrd View Post
I hear that Pierre. Seen several others here as well recommending a stay at the dealer. May try to coordinate that as well. Makes sense.
Good luck !!
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

I would add this.

Don't put yourself in a position that you can't walk away from. If the trailer is not to your liking don't take it. My PDI on my 1st 5er took 6 hours and was incomplete and I wouldn't leave until all items where written done with the GM signature stating they would cover everything. My vacation plans were already set camping for 2 weeks (packing started when I got home with the 5er). Hindsight being 20/20 I should have walked on the Stevie Wonder Edition.

They ended up buying it back 7 months later. I will say Funtown Waco kept their word and made everything right.

Don't hesitate to pass if it's not up to par.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #12

If you have a camcorder, video the portions of the demo that you think you may be later confused about once you get your camper home.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
2015 solaire 147x

I agree now with a very good look over on delivery. I took delivery of my brand new 2015 solaire 147x last week and while doing my PDI the dealer stepped in interupting with issues related to our pop up we were trading in. So now being upset with the dealer the pdi was not completed as well. upon arrival home i found two item not functioning. then the next day found more issues. in total 25 items of concern from simple broken screws to water under the shower. needless to say if went back immediately and also contacted forest river on product quality and poor delivery of there product
crs147x is offline   Reply With Quote