Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #1

Pre-Qualifying

DH and I are still shopping for a RV and have begun to wonder if it makes more sense to pre-qualify for a RV loan or just wait until we find what we're looking for and then work out the financing details?

What has been your experience with this?

Thanks.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
https://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

We came prequalified but the dealer offered some very incentives to let them do the financing. The financing options came back the exact same as what we were prequalified for through my personal bank. It does not hurt anything to come prequalified and then see what the dealer can offer.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

I always get pre qualified on everything. I know my percentages and credit scores. It can save a lot of haggling time.

Many salesman try to base everything on payment. Their job is to take as much money from your pocket as possible.

I always start the conversation as I am pre qualified and want to talk bottom line not finance rates and monthly pmts. I'll cut you a check for the right deal today.

Let's say you have a pre qualified rate of 6% and a credit score of 740. When you are with the finance guy he should be able to tell you based on that info if he can beat it. If he can't it will save having your credit pulled again. The down side is many quotes are good for 30 days...so if you order something or just starting to shop and it takes longer than 30 it can result in several credit pulls.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
We came prequalified but the dealer offered some very incentives to let them do the financing. The financing options came back the exact same as what we were prequalified for through my personal bank. It does not hurt anything to come prequalified and then see what the dealer can offer.
x1

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

I always pre-qualify and then when they ask about financing I never tell them what rate that I have and about one half of the time the beat the rate. Many times it is with a local credit union that they know has money to lend and it would be hard for us to know that. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
fx2

We had our financing lined up through our credit union. When at the dealer they weren't able to beat the rate so we had the draw up the contract, we emailed it to our credit union and they overnighted the check to the dealer. We signed the contract and left a deposit late Thursday night and picked it up that Saturday, finance guy had the check in hand from the credit union after we finished our walk through. The nice thing was we were able to negotiate using the bottom line vs them trying to show us payments. I am in finance for a living so I already knew where we'd end up payment wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #7

We always shop pre-qualified as it affords us to know exactly where our credit score is and what the best possible rate we can have from either our credit union or personal bank, and I also compare funding via a home equity loan. We then let the dealers work up their best possible financing options and sometimes they do better, sometimes not, but we know we did the best we could with this approach.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote