Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Oklahoma Proud

We were asked to put 10% (about $2500) down when we ordered. But that 10% was with our B&w comanion figured into the deal, and we got the hitch in a couple weeks, I told them I wanted to install it and have it ready to go when the trailer arived as we were going on vacation 3 days after delivery. I wasn't woried about the 10% since I told him I wasn't sure if I was going to pay cash or finance part of it. We ordered our 2013 on june 5th and received july 24th, but that Is peak season so you should get it quicker.
Good luck and happy camping!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I tried to read and see if anyone gave a timeline, paperwork or steps to the Forest River order process but missed that thread. Seemed like it would be useful to others not used to working with "RV dealers" and ordering their new trailer for the first time.
-ray
I see that I should not have mentioned my deposit. It's such a small piece of the overall order process.

While I appreciate everyone sharing their deposit experience, I'm more interested in the rest of the stories. Like what forms had to be filled out, timeline of events between customer, dealer, factory, more about order milestones to expect. I've already experienced the deposit, the rest before I drive out the dealer driveway is my unknown.

Perhaps I'll need to start a new thread if this one stays focused on deposits. -ray

Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Our dealer requires 20% down when placing a factory order but because our Sabre was the 2nd camper we purchased from them they only asked for 10% down. Ray, when you do the PDI your dealer will probably try to sell you an add on warraanty. Here's a link to downloading info on a 2nd year warranty direct from Forest River: http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pd
For your Rockwood it'll be only $150.
Wiscampsin, the link you added is not working? can you give more info as I'm about 4 months into my first year and I'm certain interested in a second year warranty directly from the factory.

Thanks,
dfskinner
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
rip

dfskinner - there should be an f on the end for pdf files.

http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pdf

Try this one. -ray
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
rip

I printed the second-year warranty form. That is a great tip for the overall order process. The form on the link says to send within 10 days, but I thought I read some comments on other threads that they submitted their form at later dates. I'm adding it to my list of things to do right after delivery. Thanks again Wiscampin.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I printed the second-year warranty form. That is a great tip for the overall order process. The form on the link says to send within 10 days, but I thought I read some comments on other threads that they submitted their form at later dates. I'm adding it to my list of things to do right after delivery. Thanks again Wiscampin.
Many of us were able to get the second year warranty past the 10 day period but would recommend not taking the chance. You never know when they will enforce the deadline.

Sounds like you are ahead of the game with finding out about each step or stage and what should be done. I don't have any experience with ordering an RV so my feedback will be limited.

A detailed PDI is very important. There are some examples of PDI inspections here on the forum. You might find it helpful to get a preview of what to expect. The key is to check everything.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
rip

Thanks Terier - I did a search for PDI and found an interesting pdf download and a message (copied his text into a word file, and saved as a nice 2-page pdf file)

Forum's PDI Download:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Message from PG_rider in general community discussions:

Full PDI with customer not typical at RVW?

I can see there are some steps/forms to pay attention to at delivery... a PDI, an acceptance form of some sort, and the second-year warranty form. -ray
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
A detailed PDI is very important. There are some examples of PDI inspections here on the forum. You might find it helpful to get a preview of what to expect. The key is to check everything.
I also picked up that I should schedule my PDI for a morning on a full work day for the dealer, so that any inspection problems can be addressed right away. Putting that in my list of steps to do just before delivery. -ray
Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #29

Rip, your dealer should place your order shortly after he has your deposit and give you a ballpark date when finished. After a few weeks call Forest River to talk to a rep, inform them of the finance end date and any other concerns that you have. At that time ask the run date for that model and the approximate offline date, then iform you dealer that you require the VIN# as soon as possdible, make them work for the money.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantho View Post
After a few weeks call Forest River to talk to a rep...
I didn't know there was a way to call FR and talk to a rep. -ray