Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #51
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
If the Forest River model is... customer talks with dealer, dealer talks with area rep, area rep talks to factory rep, factory rep talks to factory, factory replies to factory rep, factory rep replies to area rep, area rep replies to dealer, dealer replies to customer... then I can see why customers or even dealers find it difficult to ask questions about their order. I guess I was expecting online speeds and simultaneous responses...
I was wrong about the communication model above. When there is communication, my dealer and their FR sales rep are clicking with email responses that my dealer forwards to keep me updated.

There was little happening in December, and more in January. That void in December simply left me wondering if everything was all right.

However, my dealer appears to be the kind that knows "when" to do status checks with FR and passes updates along, which is good for an order customer. I was unfamiliar with the "when."

Some fortunate members described nice dealers like this, others described some less fortunate circumstances.

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #52

Well, my uneasiness about not hearing from our dealer turned out to be justified. I got a call from the Forest River Salem sales rep (Rick Miller - very nice guy). It turns out that our dealer went out of business a month ago. The order for our new Salem was never placed, and to top it off, they had our trade in camper. We had taken it up to them to try to sell on commission while we waited for the new Salem to come in. Rick promised that he would take care of us. He was able to contact the dealership owner, who in turn called me. Long story short, we have our old camper back and we're back to square one. I'm so frustrated and angry that we were treated this way. I can't believe that they never even let us know any of this. We were so excited, waiting for the new camper that we thought was scheduled to be built soon. Rick put me in touch with RV Nation, and I'm going down to talk to them tomorrow. It might be a good thing though because they have 4 or 5 units like the one we ordered sitting on their lot.

bjjohnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
Oklahoma Proud

Man that sux, glad you are having a little better luck now! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjohnstone View Post
Well, my uneasiness about not hearing from our dealer turned out to be justified. I got a call from the Forest River Salem sales rep (Rick Miller - very nice guy). It turns out that our dealer went out of business a month ago. The order for our new Salem was never placed, and to top it off, they had our trade in camper. We had taken it up to them to try to sell on commission while we waited for the new Salem to come in. Rick promised that he would take care of us. He was able to contact the dealership owner, who in turn called me. Long story short, we have our old camper back and we're back to square one. I'm so frustrated and angry that we were treated this way. I can't believe that they never even let us know any of this. We were so excited, waiting for the new camper that we thought was scheduled to be built soon. Rick put me in touch with RV Nation, and I'm going down to talk to them tomorrow. It might be a good thing though because they have 4 or 5 units like the one we ordered sitting on their lot.
As disappointing as this can be you are very lucky that you are at least back to square one because it is much better than being at minus square one. If you put a deposit down hopefully you will get it returned too.

While this isn't the path you selected you do have choices. Good luck!

BTW - a similar thing happened many years ago when my parents decided to a built-in pool. Dad had a funny feeling so he ended up canceling the contact within the 3 days requirement. The following day the bank called to say the loan was approved and during that phone call he found out that the bank knew the pool company were going out of business.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #55

A few years ago a guy opened an RV sales lot near our home. He old used units on consignment. He had no service, just a bare lot beside the interstate highway. His deal was that you told him how much you wanted and he kept whatever he could sell it for above that. It was a good deal for him since he never had a dime in the units he sold. It turned out that he had an even better deal than it appeared. He sold some units and never gave the owners their money. Their RV was gone, along with the title. He went to jail. I don't know if anyone recovered their RV's.

When we were searching for a motorhome I found there were two RV auction businesses near home, but they were for dealers only. Once, when I called about a motorhome that was advertised by a dealer, the auctions came up in our conversation. The dealer said he goes there and I could go with him. If I found one I liked, I could buy it and just pay him 10% of the price. Considering the price range that I was expecting, I thought $3000 to $4000 was a little high for the little effort the guy would be making. I declined.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #56
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I could buy it and just pay him 10% of the price. Considering the price range that I was expecting, I thought $3000 to $4000 was a little high for the little effort the guy would be making. I declined.
Well, I am sure the price of his credentials to get in and bid were worth something. If you had a good idea what the RVs you were looking at were worth and the price was a good deal even with the 10% figured it you could buy. If not I am sure he would not have charged you more than lunch if you did not see anything you liked. Just sayin...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #57
rip

Quote:
Well, my uneasiness about not hearing from our dealer turned out to be justified. I got a call from the Forest River Salem sales rep (Rick Miller - very nice guy). It turns out that our dealer went out of business a month ago. The order for our new Salem was never placed, and to top it off, they had our trade in camper.
Boy, James, that would have crushed me. I have a fifty percent deposit on my Windjammer 2809W.

I learned something from the comments. Apparently, a dealer must pay the factory before a unit is shipped!!?? This means my dealer, RV Station, must have to finance an ordered unit. And, I mistakenly presumed FR was helping dealers with financing.

A lot full of campers and a bunch of orders... that's a chunk of change!! I can see now why my dealer wanted a larger deposit. And, I can see why placing a smaller deposit may affect the price of a deal.

And, wow James, after your experience, I can see that we customers have a lot to risk by giving large deposits or units in trade. At least, with consignments, you still have your title, but must go thru the hassle of picking your old trailer back up.

You said you are starting over from square one. I'd be starting over from square robbery. I'm so glad I started this thread, I'm learning so much.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #58
Owner/Operator

This was several (8 or 9) years ago. Had several people come in to the RV Service and Repair store with problems, and when we called the Warranty Company found they had no record of the Warranty ever being paid. Seems, in several months before "going out of business" the dealer sold the warranties and pocketed the money.

Liquidated their inventory, and then disappeared. People were screaming at ME, "What do we do? What can you do?" Felt really bad, but it was a case of "sorry, not my problem sir".

We just ordered our Rockwood 8289WS on Monday. $1000 earnest money, and our trade in is sitting in my Storage Building until the day we pick up the new RV. The dealer never asked me for any particular amount, just said what do you want to give to place the order, and accepted what I told him.

The dealer here is also the Ford Dealer, and has been in business for years, but in these times, who knows.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #59

We have great news! I took a trip down to RV Nation yesterday. They had 4 units like ours on their lot. We picked out one with more options than the one we had originally ordered, and were able to get it for $2000 less than we were going to pay in the first place! They're going to add a back ladder and slide out awning, and we can pick it up in about a week! I can't say enough about Rick Miller from Forest River and also Brannon, the sales manager at RV Nation in Hamilton, OH. They went out of their way to take care of us and make a bad situation good again. We're happy campers again!
bjjohnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #60
rip

Quote:
I can't say enough about Rick Miller from Forest River and also Brannon, the sales manager at RV Nation in Hamilton, OH. They went out of their way to take care of us and make a bad situation good again. We're happy campers again!
I was feeling your pain, James. Now, I'm feeling your joy.

Great reps and great dealers will have an effect on the industry. Your come-through dealer is RV Nation, and my local dealer is RV Station. It's coincidence that they sound the same.

Really really happy your mis-handled order turned into a great off-the-lot deal.