Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #81
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
Just wondering what you guys thought.

I have been lookin at the Wildcat 344QB.

I for sure want the auto leveling system and they seem to be alittle hard to come by on the lots.

The prices that you see on the net alway vary so much so it is hard to tell what is a good price.

Is financing harder to arrange on an ordered unit??
I went thru Bank of America separate from the dealer (they couldn't get close to the interest rate I got on my own). The financing was a little bit of a hassle because they needed the VIN before they would process the order. I ended swapping emails with the factory rep to get the VIN once it hit the production line. In the end, my financing was ready when the trailer made it to the dealer and we were ready to sign.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
Just wondering what you guys thought.

I have been lookin at the Wildcat 344QB.

I for sure want the auto leveling system and they seem to be alittle hard to come by on the lots.

The prices that you see on the net alway vary so much so it is hard to tell what is a good price.

Is financing harder to arrange on an ordered unit??
we love our 344QB, I see they changed the master layout for 2013 and now it is the same as all the others, we love the room with the angled bed, lots of space. Their are a few items I have no idea who came up with but they need to own and or use a camper before they design, or listen to their wifes

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #83

For us it was the financing was just as easy ordering as it was buying off the lot. We were pre approved for about a month (was probably more) When the camper hit the line the finance company was sent the VIN number..... the $ was sent to the dealer when we took delivery......... The interest rate was same as we could find at other financial institutations.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #84
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I, for one, think the opposite is true. The very best deals I have worked involved special orders (truck, car, and camper). The dealer's "labor" involved mostly paperwork in the title transfer process.
X2...in our experiences also

Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #85
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
It's Built!!! It's Built!!!

Well, my dealer was right. My Windjammer 2809W was completed last Friday. My dealer said they were billed for it last week, and it's awaiting shipment.
The Walk-Through

Well, about a week after it was built, my 2809W arrived at the dealer. They promptly notified me and asked when I wanted to pick it up. I gave them a week to take their time to inspect it and get it ready, setting up my inspection and pick-up for first thing Monday morning.

Fast forward to a rainy Monday morning. They greeted me, promptly pulled the trailer around and said... "We'll have our tech show you through your ordered trailer for your walk-through."

I said... "you mean PDI?" They said... "No, your walk-through."

The first thing I learned is that Forest River calls the dealer's preparation/inspection, to set up the trailer the previous week, a "PDI (pre-delivery inspection)."

Forest River calls the customer inspection on pick-up day a "walk-through."

I thought my dealer was trying to get off with a lighter inspection on my part by not calling mine a PDI, but they were not, read on...

Yep, it's right there on page 5 of the Forest River Owners Manual... "There are two forms the dealer will complete concerning your new recreational vehicle. The PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection sheet) and the Warranty Inspection form."

Further on, it reads... "A qualified dealer representative will perform a 'walk-through' demonstration which will provide you with important information regarding the operation of your unit."

Interesting reading there on page 5. Wish I read it before-hand. I left off a lot of it's text under the heading Taking Delivery.

So, my first encounter that day with two more new forms in the order process:
a) Pre-Delivery Inspection sheet
b) Warranty Inspection form

I'll write more about my "walk-through" on Monday morning, which was excellant by the way, when I find my notes. More later.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #86
rip

Quote:
The Walk-Through Well, about a week after it was built, my 2809W arrived at the dealer. They promptly notified me and asked when I wanted to pick it up. I gave them a week to take their time to inspect it and get it ready, setting up my inspection and pick-up for first thing Monday morning.

Fast forward to a rainy Monday morning...
Ok, got past the Forest River language barrier, they showed me their PDI sheet that they send to factory, and off I go with all my personal inspection notes to 'walk-through' my ordered trailer.

I start inside cuz it's raining fairly hard. First, tech shows me how to open slides, then goes over all the switches on the control panel, shows how to check tanks and battery, turns on water pump, reaches over to sink turns on hot water to show flow, uses panel switch for hot water heater while we're at door and I can hear roar of propane firing up.

Next, we open/close all cabinets and drawers and doors, especially the second door on bathroom that slides. Then, we operate all lights. Next, comes demos of all appliances including A/C and furnace, then the antenna, entertainment center and television. Then, comes dinnette and sofa both open and folded, check especially dinnette legs, I decline demo of air mattress, will do at home.

Then comes the hidden stuff... location of winterizing cut-offs behind water heater, location of water filter and water pump under lavatory, and operate the toilet and the shower while we're there.

We open the storage under bed and the storage under sofa and the access under dinnette seats.

Then, last inside, we test the smoke detector and CO/propane alarms, and he explains the ac and dc fuses.

He explains and demos the power awning and how to set for rain dump. Using the awning for protection, we open and close both doors and fold and open the steps, go over the door side of the trailer, and inspect the wheels, demo how to access lube-nipple on hub, and talk about the tire chocks, then operate the power stabizers.

The rain let up a little, so we go over the fresh water fill and ladder on the back. He demos the tank drains and covers the black tank flush connection, then the outside shower and two satelite/cable connectors.

Next we open all outside hatches and talk about the power jack manual tool and the slide manual tool with quick demo of how they work. Operate the power hitch jack, and discuss battery and propane tanks while at the front, then go around to retract the awning.

I decline a demo of the outside grill, and climb the rear ladder to look over roof, do not crawl on either because it's wet or I'm just worn out now and too old for that.I note that the Create-a-Breeze Vent has a vent cover on it that I wasn't expecting. Do a quick visual of all sides and bottom for any damage or cosmetic appearance.

I go back inside while tech is doing something to television antenna that he noticed needed adjustment. I look everywhere for water leaks around slide and windows and walls and cabinets. I use an outlet tester to check all the 120v outlets and trip/reset GFCI, Since the rain let up now, we go through how to open/close the vents and windows, plus open/close the day/night shades.

We close the slides, retract the stabilizers, unplug. He shows me how to hitch up. Worn out after three hours, I'm thinking to myself, I wish I brought along someone else to help take notes or check stuff during my 'walk-through.' The dealer certainly didn't try to rush me through it, not a run-through, definitely a walk-through, he got me to do many things myself so I'd learn.

Everything on my personal lists are checked off. It's time to buy this dang thing. More on what happens back at the office in another message.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #87
Always Learning

That's an impressive walk-thru. Nicely done by you and the dealer.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #88

Excellent thanks! This is another justification for me to video tape our walk through in a few weeks!
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
Excellent thanks! This is another justification for me to video tape our walk through in a few weeks!
An excellent idea! However, I didn't think of it either. But I DID turn my Iphone voice memo on and did a voice record of the entire thing on my phone. So I can go back and reference it anytime! Ain't technology grand!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #90
rip

Quote:
We close the slides, retract the stabilizers, unplug. He shows me how to hitch up. Worn out after three hours, I'm thinking to myself, I wish I brought along someone else to help take notes or check stuff during my 'walk-through.' The dealer certainly didn't try to rush me through it, not a run-through, definitely a walk-through, he got me to do many things myself so I'd learn.
More on my previous Walk-Through message.

Looked over my notes again on the walk-through for my ordered trailer, left out a few things...

The tech turned off the control panel water heater switch after we confirmed roar from ignited propane. Later while out side, he showed me how to start electric. First, he showed me how to open outside water heater panel, next he toggled the high pressure valve on it to confirm enough water is in the tank covering element and explained why water level was important. Then he turned on the electrical switch and left the cover open, said we can check to see if water is hot in a while to confirm element is heating (then I understood why he didn't leave propane on long before). I think he left the cover open so we'd remember to turn it off before we finished. We tested gas/electric operation of refridgerator too.

I brought along a flashlight and mirror to look in tight spaces, a 120v test plug to check all the outlets, a coffee cup to fill with water and put in microwave for a minute to check boiling, a small digital thermometer to place in fridge (could have also been used with A/C and heater but they were obvious), a DVD and CD to check entertainment center.

Didn't know to bring something to check USB and SD ports on sound system, and I should have brought along an energy drink cuz I was up/down/crawling/stretching like a three-hour cardio session.

My brain was on overload with all the new information.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #91
rip

Quote:
Everything on my personal lists are checked off. It's time to buy this dang thing. More on what happens back at the office in another message.
The Customer Delivery Paperwork

OK, the Walk-Through is over, we're back at the office.

Earlier, I had already looked at the Forest River 'PDI sheet' the dealer completed last week during their inspection and set-up. They send their check-list back to the factory. A few weeks back just before the factory began work on my trailer, they gave me a Forest River 'Confirmation' sheet that listed my VIN and itemized all my ordered options. And before that, we completed and both signed a Forest River 'Rockwood MSRP Order Form' when I placed the order in December.

Now, they brought out the Forest River 'Warranty Rgistration form' for me to sign. We covered the items in the walk-through (it's a list of about 75 items), so I signed it next to where the dealer signed it. I was tired now and didn't catch the part where the dealer and I were supposed to put X's in columns next to all the items. Oh well.

Next, they brought out the RV Station sales form. This form itemizes the selling price, taxes, fees, etc., my deposit and the final cash due. I sign it next to where dealer signed it, and wrote out a check for the balance due.

Next, they brought out a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles 'Power of Attorney to Transfer Motor Vehicle' form. This gives the dealer, RV Station, power of attorney to transfer and assign the legal title to the trailer described (my trailer's VIN #) or to purchase and apply for a title to anyone designated by the dealer. I signed this. They explained it was sometimes required for a title transfer by the state.

Next, they brought out a Texas 'Internet Down - Buyers Tag - Dealer Copy.' They explained that they could not their normal online transaction to create a temporary dealer license plate to put on my trailer because the Texas web site was down. This is a stand-by plate process used when that happens. They sign this stuff, I don't, but they said to keep a copy in my trailer until my actual plates arrive. They put the stand-by plate on the back of my trailer.

Next, they brought out a State of Texas form that explains the law requiring trailers over a certain weight to be inspected annually and that dealer is required to inform buyer of this requirement. Neither of us sign this form. And, they explain that I can find this year's inspection sticker near the front of my trailer's frame.

Next, they brought out a partially completed copy of the Forest River 'Additional 12-Month Optional Prottection Plan For Travel Trailers And Fifth Wheels.' They explained the value of this protection (which I was already familiar with) and recommended I send it in with listed payment.

The deal is done, here's the keys, I thought they'd give me an RV Station something for being a good local customer, but just the keys and call if I have problems.

I went around to the parts department and bought bug screens for the water heater, furnace and refridgerator, and an Oxegenics shower head.

The following week, I realized they were supposed to help me locate and complete any required manufacturer warranty forms on installed products (listed under Dealer Responsibilities on page 5 of my 50 page Owner's Manual). The package of operating and installation guides for the installed products was in a kitchen drawer. I'm still trying to figure out if I found all the warranty forms I should send in.

Well, this message gets toward the end of a two-month journey covered by this thread... the process of ordering a trailer from factory thru dealer.

The only problem I've had so far is figuring out a forth key in the two sets of four keys. Although different, turns out it is also for compartment doors.

I still am not sure why Texas RV dealers need a vehicle power of attorney to transfer the title. Maybe it was a backup in case my check bounced. I didn't have to do one to title my cars, trucks, and flat bed trailers, just to title an RV trailer.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #92
rip

Quote:
The Customer Delivery Paperwork

OK, the Walk-Through is over, we're back at the office.
I forgot to list an important document the dealer handed me while I was signing the "Warranty Registration form." This document did not require my signature.

Keep it in a safe place with your other documents. It's the Forest River Appliance Information Sheet.

Mine has four columns... Item, Manufacture, Model #, Serial #.

There are more items listed in rows on the form than are installed on my trailer. In rows where I have a particular item installed, the model number and serial number columns are completed with handwritten information. Mine essentially gives me the model and serial number of all my appliances, including things like slide toppers and door keys.

On the back, a check-off list tells me the stored location of accessory items like manual crank handles, cords or extensions. Mine had the installer's signature.

Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier. It's a wealth of information if things need service later.

Just received my 2013 license plates and state title application notice in the mail today.