Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #71
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
Once it arrives I imagine a good ole warm water bath for the undercarriage would be necessary. I will do the same with mine, weather permitting. So, it is not necessary to winterize in south central Texas? That would be nice.
Warm bath is a good idea. A friend said my two door will get a lot of road build-up on the rear metal step unit (right behind the wheels).

The temps here are low @ 50 and high @ 80. We have a cold front due next week and we'll have a few days of low @ 40 and high @ 70. A couple weeks ago, we had a couple nights that reached down to the low 30's. Hoping we have a mild Feb too.

Fishing has been great. Bass are staging pre-spawn on the so-TX lakes.
__________________

__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
dfskinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Va Beach, Va
Posts: 146
We wash the rear steps after every trip. I've even started spraying the joints down with silicone spray to make sure they don't rust out....

In the next couple of months I'm planning to put mud flaps on our 2809w to guard the rear steps. I've talked with several RV dealerships, taken pic, and looking for the best fit mud flaps now. I'll be sure to document the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Warm bath is a good idea. A friend said my two door will get a lot of road build-up on the rear metal step unit (right behind the wheels).

The temps here are low @ 50 and high @ 80. We have a cold front due next week and we'll have a few days of low @ 40 and high @ 70. A couple weeks ago, we had a couple nights that reached down to the low 30's. Hoping we have a mild Feb too.

Fishing has been great. Bass are staging pre-spawn on the so-TX lakes.
__________________

__________________
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
mackman1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carroll Iowa
Posts: 786
All of this talk about ordering a new trailer gets me thinkin!!!!

I have been looking for some time for what I want just can't seem to find the right one.


The main question I have is:

Will you get as good of a bottom dollar deal by ordering as you could buying off of a lot????
__________________
mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,530
I personally think so unless it has been sitting on the lot for a couple years. If you order it you will get what you want not what the dealer likes. THe dealer does not have money tied up long in the ordered ones.
__________________
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #75
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
In some cases a better deal by ordering, since the dealer is really acting as a pass through and scraping some profit off the top.

The dealer does not have to either "buy" the unit for resale or "floor" (a type of dealer finance) the unit.

Of course, if the unit sits on their lot in either case, they are sometimes more motivated to sell it.

The key is, finding a unit with the options that YOU want, and of course without the option that you either do not want or could live without. I always think of the "Premium Sound" packages that are frequently an option. I'm 70 years old with a nice set of VA hearing aids (24 years in the USMC to thank) and believe me the sound options are not a selling point for ME. LOL

We just ordered our 7th RV, and 5 of the 7 that we've had were custom orders, and some (when we were full timing) with major changes to the standard floor plan. I guess we like the Burger King philosophy, our way.

Dealers, for us, serve a great purpose. Let's us eyeball the various floor plans, colors, options, etc.

RodeoGeorge
__________________
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
speedcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 446
I think you pay a little more when ordering vs. buying a unit on the lot. The dealer is more willing to discount inventory on the lot in order to move it. The difference was not excessive but we think it was worth it as we got exactly what we wanted.
__________________
2013 Sabre 36QBOK
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch CC DRW 6.4l, 4.10 diff
B&W companion
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #77
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
I think you pay a little more when ordering vs. buying a unit on the lot. The dealer is more willing to discount inventory on the lot in order to move it. The difference was not excessive but we think it was worth it as we got exactly what we wanted.
I, for one, think the opposite is true. The very best deals I have worked involved special orders (truck, car, and camper). The dealer's "labor" involved mostly paperwork in the title transfer process.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #78
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I, for one, think the opposite is true. The very best deals I have worked involved special orders (truck, car, and camper). The dealer's "labor" involved mostly paperwork in the title transfer process.
I felt the same way as Herk- I literally told one dealer that I couldn't believe he's hold out for $2,500 when he has had next to NO work in the sale (I emailed the exact order to him ahead of time). Same with the truck- I emailed 3 or 4 dealerships with the exact truck I was ordering and let them fight over price. I didn't have to haggle with just one for a truck that they had on their lot.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #79
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I felt the same way as Herk- I literally told one dealer that I couldn't believe he's hold out for $2,500 when he has had next to NO work in the sale (I emailed the exact order to him ahead of time). Same with the truck- I emailed 3 or 4 dealerships with the exact truck I was ordering and let them fight over price. I didn't have to haggle with just one for a truck that they had on their lot.
That is exactly why. When you are ordering, everyone is working off the same sheet of music. Dealing with units on the lot EVERY unit is different and every deal is different.

When dealing on ONE unit on the lot you are at a severe disadvantage.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
mackman1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carroll Iowa
Posts: 786
Just wondering what you guys thought.

I have been lookin at the Wildcat 344QB.

I for sure want the auto leveling system and they seem to be alittle hard to come by on the lots.

The prices that you see on the net alway vary so much so it is hard to tell what is a good price.

Is financing harder to arrange on an ordered unit??
__________________

__________________
mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.