Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
rip

Process of ordering a rv from factory thru dealer

I'm new to the process of ordering a RV from the FR factory thru a dealer. I looked on thread and saw some discussion of deposit but not the overall process from placing an order progressing to delivery out the driveway.

I'm ordering a Rockwood Windjammer 2809W from my local dealer, RV Station, Bryan, TX. I did my homework and knew the options I wanted from online research and talking with campers.

After Kelly L, the salesman, and I picked out the options we developed an agreeable basic price (@25K incl freight) and an agreeable drive-out price (@27K incl sales taxes, title, licenses, and other fees). We documented all this on a 2013 Winjammer Travel Trailer MSRP Order Form and an RV Station order form that outlines the basic price with freight and the state sales, registration, title, fees, etc. Kelly, Steve B, the general manager, and I signed these two things.

They said RV Station requires a fifty percent deposit to place a factory order. I thought this was high, but wrote a check for half, and Jamie L, the office manager, gave me a receipt for the check. We did the above steps about a week ago today with the deposit on Monday.

Last week, Kelly said we three would also need to sign a "build sheet" returned for the order at the factory (to insure we all agree once again on the included options). That has not come in yet.

That's all I know about ordering a trailer from the factory thru a dealer so far. Perhaps some of the forum members can embelish what happens between now and whenever the trailer is eventually delivered to me. I'm a newbie to working with RV dealers and fairly clueless about all this.
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

Not sure what the norm is but i only put a1,000 down on a factory order for a 40,000 fifth wheel
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

1,000 deposit for my factory order as well.
Camper was low 30s.

They wanted half, but I laughed at him and told him five hundred bucks and a handshake got me a factory ordered 40,000 dollar tow vehicle.

They just don't want you walking away from the deal after they custom order for you. It is standard dealer BS. Refuse to be intimidated if you can. After a chat with the manager we agreed on 1,000.

Obviously it is water under the bridge, but a lesson for next time.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

I ordered my 2013 Rockwood TT with a 1000.00 deposit. It has been 7 weeks and it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. I live somewhat close to the Rockwood/Flagstaff plant (4.5 hours) and just returned from home from a guided tour. It is really an impressive sight to see how these are made. Bet you are super excited I know I am!

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

I know it has been a few years for us, but for us was 10% down and five weeks later we got ours.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Our dealer requires 20% down when placing a factory order but because our Sabre was the 2nd camper we purchased from them they only asked for 10% down. Ray, when you do the PDI your dealer will probably try to sell you an add on warraanty. Here's a link to downloading info on a 2nd year warranty direct from Forest River: http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pd
For your Rockwood it'll be only $150.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
rip

Yep, I felt the deposit was high.

Do any of you know what a build sheet is? What if anything happened during the two to three months waiting for the trailer? Any info from the factory, or just a long quiet uneventful wait? -ray
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

Our build sheet was actually a list of standard equipment that could be upgraded and a list of options that were available. But it started with chosing what type exterior siding, which set the base price and then the choice of four interior colors to choose from.

We were still able to make more changes through the FR factory rep. For example, we were able to change the slide out configuration from a large u-shape bench seat to the normal dinette set and a jack-knife couch, plus a few more "out of the norm" changes (no decals for one).

As for updates, it seems as if the dealer, or in our case the factory rep, doesn't really get much, if any, information at all from the factory. The only information the rep could give us at four weeks was when the VIN # was issued to the frame.

Good luck Ray...
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Yep, I felt the deposit was high.

Do any of you know what a build sheet is? What if anything happened during the two to three months waiting for the trailer? Any info from the factory, or just a long quiet uneventful wait? -ray
The build sheet is the "factory order." You are signing off that everything you expected to be ordered is being communicated to the factory.

You will get an "As Built" sheet when you take delivery and it will have the serial numbers, make and model of all factory installed options.

Expect a long silent wait unless you have a great dealership who will follow up frequently with the factory and call you with status reports.

I have heard rumors that dealerships like this exist. I personally have never seen one; but ....
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I put $500 down on my trailer. That was their original request. I would have never considered doing any more than $1000 personaly.

Once my order was confirmed at the factory I was given an off-line date of mid-Dec and was told to expect a late Dec/early Jan delivery to the dealer. As it turned out it was delivered to the dealership this week! I was given no fore warning from the factory. All our planning was to take delivery after the 1st. So unfortunately for us we couldn't take full advantage of the early delivery.

As others have said it's a long silent wait, but in my case the wait was shorter than expected. Hopefully you'll get the same

Congrats on your new trailer!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Expect a long silent wait unless you have a great dealership who will follow up frequently with the factory and call you with status reports.

I have heard rumors that dealerships like this exist. I personally have never seen one; but ....
Herk - I am pretty happy with my dealer ... so far ... but they had no clue my trailer was coming in when it did. They were as shocked as I was!

I am thinking this rumor is a myth. Ranked right up there w/Bigfoot

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

I think Rip is playing us.
cantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Ordering

I will be ordering my 3025w tomorrow and will have to put $1000.00 down. Cant wait to get the new TT, good luck on yours!
Drichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
rip

Hi all, appreciate the feedback. No, cantho, the only thing I did my homework on over the past year was the trailer model that fit me best, what I could afford, and what factory options seemed the most practical for the money.

I usually bought vehicles, appliances, tractors or my one previous trailer off a lot or from a private seller. This is my first order, and I'm learning things the hard way. This is the first time I've dealt with an RV dealership. RV Station is an area chain that has a dealership here in town.

There's more story to my purchase. I've been shopping for the Flagstaff or Rockwood model for a few months, missing good deals on 2012 models cuz I wasn't fast enough. So, I decided to buy a 2013 for more money. Many of the 12's I looked at did not have the interior led lights, which I think are great for an RV.

Kelly at my local Bryan Forest River dealer did not have the model I wanted and did not think he could order it for the price I wanted to pay. He said there was a Vibe over at the Nacogdoches RV Station dealer a couple hours away. So, I drove over and looked at it, talked with Mandy, and she showed me some other trailers because I felt the Vibe bedroom was too small.

I was looking at more expensive versions of the Rockwood/Flagstaff model three hours away, but couldn't convince myself to spend more for the platinum or diamond option bling. Then, Mandy called, and said she felt she could order the trailer I wanted at the price I mentioned. Apparently, she shared that with Kelly. So, I got to buy what I wanted from my local dealer but I had to "order" it.

I am "order stupid" but I was happy to keep my purchase local which many folks said was the best to do over the long run. And, that brings me to now, and all my questions as I try to become smarter about the RV world. I tried to read and see if anyone gave a timeline, paperwork or steps to the Forest River order process but missed that thread. Seemed like it would be useful to others not used to working with "RV dealers" and ordering their new trailer for the first time.

I was impressed by the cooperation between the two RV Station dealerships. -ray
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They said RV Station requires a fifty percent deposit to place a factory order. I thought this was high, but wrote a check for half
We've ordered factory built once each from two different large internet dealers. Both required a 10% deposit with the order so I'm assuming (you know what that sometime means) that a 10% deposit is what the manufacturer has to have in their hand to accept the order and start the build. One of the dealers required payment in full before the camper could be released from the factory...in other words, the buyer is financing the whole deal. Some may have a problem with that but it may be one of the reasons that their price is so low. If the dealers are using there own money in the process, the cost of that has to be recovered in the purchase price.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been shopping for the Flagstaff or Rockwood model for a few months, missing good deals on 2012 models cuz I wasn't fast enough. So, I decided to buy a 2013 for more money. Many of the 12's I looked at did not have the interior led lights, which I think are great for an RV.
FWIW, the manufacturers have been builiding 2013 model since March '12...that's when they change over model years. The difficulty in factory orders is to determine what exactly is being built now as manufacturers tend to make changes whenever within the model year...some minor some major.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
...One of the dealers required payment in full before the camper could be released from the factory...in other words, the buyer is financing the whole deal... (slice) ...If the dealers are using there own money in the process, the cost of that has to be recovered in the purchase price. Dave
Thanks for sharing this, Dave. I don't recall exactly what Kelly said, but it went something like we will have to pay a little more with this order so we're asking a higher deposit if that's not inconvenient.

Since I had the cash to buy it off a lot at the time, I didn't think too much was wrong in making a large deposit.

You may have explained what happened this one time. -ray
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #18

yes enjoy your new unit and merry xmas
lormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #19

Rip, I apologize for the playing remark no offence intended. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new camper.
cantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

@Rip

It looks like you are getting a price you are happy with, you could afford to make the deposit the dealer asked for and are getting the exact trailer you wanted with the exact options. I wouldn't call that stupid .. I would call it smart

I am envious of you ... I wish I was in a position to pay cash for my new trailer.

Hopefully your new trailer will come in quickly and you can get to campin!

@Dave

I had spoken with a number of dealers and none were asking for more than $1k deposit during my year+ long saga (AKA finding the right RV). In truth I didn't talk with any internet/wholesale dealers so I don't know their practices. Could you're being in Canada and ordering across the border make a difference in what dealers will ask for?