Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #21

I recently moved over the GA NC border into NC, with Safeco on our motorhome since we bought it. Found out that Safeco doesn't 'write' Motorhomes in NC. What? Their website showed a motorhome on the RV Insurance page, yet when calling them they say that they only write 'truck campers' and 'trailers' less than $75,000 in value - no motorhomes.
I asked them why the write a motorhome in one state, and not another, but no one would give in information as to why, or why not. Aggravating. I purchased Progressive, because, yes, I found out too that some states do not have a lot of companies writing motorhomes, for whatever reason.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I recently moved over the GA NC border into NC, with Safeco on our motorhome since we bought it. Found out that Safeco doesn't 'write' Motorhomes in NC. What? Their website showed a motorhome on the RV Insurance page, yet when calling them they say that they only write 'truck campers' and 'trailers' less than $75,000 in value - no motorhomes.
I asked them why the write a motorhome in one state, and not another, but no one would give in information as to why, or why not. Aggravating. I purchased Progressive, because, yes, I found out too that some states do not have a lot of companies writing motorhomes, for whatever reason.
The NC Insurance commissioner is an elected official and is in charge of NC rates. Many companies avoid NC because they do not make as much money compared to other States especially in election years.

My TT and Boat are with Progressive, no problems here.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #23

I’d like to add my thumbs up for Progressive also. While I myself don’t have Progressive (USAA since 1979), the guy who sideswiped me was a Progressive customer. The staff at their local service center took very good care of me, doing the estimate quickly and cutting me the checks for the repairs as I waited. They also covered the cost for the rental truck (an F250 diesel) while my F150 was being fixed. They didn’t balk as when the repair took longer than originally estimated due to a parts delay.

If I wasn’t so satisfied with USAA, I’d seriously consider Progressive for my coverage.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #24

We have Progressive on our cars and had National General on our motorhome.

This fall we were towing our Chevy Sonic behind our coach. A foreign object from the road got tossed into the transmission, punching a hole in the case. All the transmission fluid drained out as we continued down the road, oblivious to what had happened with the TOAD.

We continued on until slowing to enter a rest area when the tranny locked up solid.

I couldn't be happier with Progressive and how they handled our problem. They coordinated everything related to towing and the installation of a NEW transmission. Grand total over $6000.00.

Our out-of-pocket cost was $250.00.

We have since switched all of our insurance policies to Progressive even though they were a little higher priced for the RV.

Best insurance company I've ever dealt with.

Al
Old 12-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #25
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I had StateFarm on everything I own including my business. You really should look into what they cover for your Rv. They didn’t even come close to what Progressive covered.

Now I have StateFarm for everything except my RV. I love StateFarm but once I saw what they DIDNT cover I switched in a heartbeat.

Just my $.02.
Chris,
I went through my State Farm policy in more detail and have decided to take your advice and drop them for my RV coverage. I'll likely switch to Progressive per your suggestion but will look closely at their coverage - which I should have done with my current State Farm policy.

Thank you for the recommendation,
Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #26

Progressive Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Chris,

I went through my State Farm policy in more detail and have decided to take your advice and drop them for my RV coverage. I'll likely switch to Progressive per your suggestion but will look closely at their coverage - which I should have done with my current State Farm policy.

Thank you for the recommendation,

Rich J.

You know it’s interesting that it takes someone to open your eyes to actually see what coverage you have instead of what you think you have. I’ve just always called my agent and said “drop this and add this” to my policy. Until we purchased this 5er in October and the dealer offered a free estimate for coverage which happened to be from Progressive. When I got their estimate back I was kinda surprised how much more ($70 more annually)it was then what I paid before for the 5er I sold. So instead of just tossing it I called the ins rep and he explained in detail what they offered. I went home and looked up my StateFarm coverage for my RV and it didn’t even come close.

Good for you. Do your research and maybe Progressive is or isn’t the one you go with. There’s quite a few companies out there that’ll give you good coverage.

One of the big factors for me was “full value replacement coverage” they offered. Others offer it too but typically for a greater annual premium.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #27
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
One of the big factors for me was “full value replacement coverage” they offered. Others offer it too but typically for a greater annual premium.
Full value replacement is quite appealing for me as well.
Thanks again,
Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #28

To the OP,
I also live in Jersey, Northern part near Giants stadium, and my RV is the first type of any camper I have ever owned. I purchased a Class A, Georgetown this march and had to get insurance on it just to drive it home from Buffalo NY where i bought it. I searched all the insurance companies and found that Progressive has the most complete all encompasing coverage for a pretty decent rate, going on NJ standards. For the full coverage I forget what my initial down payment was but Im only paying about $65 a month. And Progressive only does paperless billing. They auto deduct from a bank account monthly. Im old school and still write checks so that was odd for me. But they do send you a text message about a week prior to remind you to have the money in the account since the deduction is coming. I have not had to make a claim yet but dealing with them was easy. And like someone else said, cut out the middle man and deal direct with Progressive. What they cover compared to others in NJ is alot more.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #29

Just bought a new 5er and while doing the deal at Camping World, I spoke to a Good Sam agency who advised me on different coverages and agencies. He advised American General at first, because he said they have a coverage that allows you to turn off and on the comprehensive coverage during the time your camper isn't being used. This means you would save money when you aren't actually camping.

The premiums were higher than Progressive, but over the course of a year, would actually be less if you used this feature, since most people aren't camping full time.

However, I chose Progressive because I had them on my previous RV, although never had a claim.

I have State Farm on my auto and my house, and looked into them covering my RV, but decided not to because Progressive has replacement coverage for the first two years, meaning I would get a NEW camper, not just one that covers what the market value is. As we all know, RVs depreciate rapidly when you drive them off the lot, so that was a no-brainer for me. I could be on the hook for the difference between the "market value" of a wrecked camper and what it would cost to replace it, so I chose Progressive.

Will say my State Farm agent gives me good service, and I am staying (for now) with SF for my home and auto, but Progressive for my RV.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #30

Auto and RV insurance in NJ can be hard to find and it is usually expensive. When I moved from NJ more then 45 years ago, auto insurance was more expensive there then any other state. I don't know if that is still the case? If it is ten years old can you go without insurance on the RV?
Or you can move to Florida! Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #31

Financed my RV with Stare Farm Bank. Asked them to price insurance and told them I had Safeco but would drop if SF came close. Agent said they could not even come close to Safeco.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance