Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Propane fire ring?

Here in Minnesota a person is only allowed to burn "approved" fire wood at campgrounds. I.E. kiln dried/bought at an official supplier like the gas stations. These bundles are generally not the best wood and run $5-$7!
I grew up camping in Idaho where you go gather deadfall to build your fire. So this whole "buying wood" is INSANE to me. The DH and I are wondering if it makes economical sense to buy a propane fire ring and use our propane to heat us in the evenings.
Anybody else do this? Thought about this?

Liz
HoundsAbounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #2

I have one. I haven't used it much, though. It works just fine.

Need to go check it in the basement. With these temps, it might have spontaneously combusted!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

My opinion regarding the "approved Wood" is that it is a BS profit maker. If the concern is moving bad bugs, why are logging trucks allowed to run all over God's green acre 24/7?
We have a gas fire pit at home and really like it. If I only have 20 minutes to sit by the fire I am good to go. If I start a "real" fire I have committed to 1-2 hours for it to burn out-this is a real concern when camping. We have bypassed the restrictions when camping by using fake logs. These are easier to carry than a gas fire pit, are more like a wood fire, and cheaper. Two logs make a nice fire for $2-$3.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
My opinion regarding the "approved Wood" is that it is a BS profit maker. If the concern is moving bad bugs, why are logging trucks allowed to run all over God's green acre 24/7?
We have a gas fire pit at home and really like it. If I only have 20 minutes to sit by the fire I am good to go. If I start a "real" fire I have committed to 1-2 hours for it to burn out-this is a real concern when camping. We have bypassed the restrictions when camping by using fake logs. These are easier to carry than a gas fire pit, are more like a wood fire, and cheaper. Two logs make a nice fire for $2-$3.
Good idea in the logs! I was really concerned about having to haul the damn fire ring around eveeywhere, thise fire logs seem much easier.

Thanks
HoundsAbounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Here in Central Minnesota, the county parks have a sign that says "No firewood from outside the county." Not sure how they would know where it came from. Regardless, I can understand the concern, especially with Emerald Ash Borer about to destroy every Ash tree around. Untreated dimensional lumber scraps and wood from pallets work well. Also as pjnlorrie mentioned, the fake fireplace logs work well.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:54 AM   #6

We have a Campfire in a Can propane fire ring. There are burning restrictions throughout Arizona for most months mid Spring to late Fall, so this is the option we chose. As has been said, there is an advantage to shutting it down when you're ready to head in for the night, along with ease of setup and putting away is a breeze.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

The "approved" fire wood requirement is bogus. The campground I'm at started the restriction 3 years ago and the wood was to be de-barked and kiln dried. They gave us the guy up the road about 3 miles who they buy bundles from so we can get a face cord of oak delivered for $90. He delivered a load that was neither de-barked or kiln dried and had pine in it. When you throw a piece in the fire sap will bubble out of the ends. A few days later I followed him out of the campground to his business. The wood was in a huge pile, probably 5+ semi loads, where he would split it and use a belt conveyor to pile it. He would use a skid loader to scoop it up to load in his small dump truck. When brought to the attention of the cg owner, he basically said oh well, but not in so few words.

These Emerald Ash Borers and other insects are coming from overseas in the crates and pallets used for shipping. They are not kiln dried nor treated to kill the pests. The company I retired from would get crates of car shredder parts from China because the same parts from the original manufacturer here in the states would cost almost twice as much.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #8

Duraflame Logs

I'm sitting in Gros Ventre campgroung in the Tetons right now. Carry a case of Duraflame logs. Cut in thirds and put in Weber Smokey Joe. Campfire where ever I want it around 5th wheel. Legal campfire where ever we go unless fire ban. Burns for a couple of hours. Can use whole log in campground fire pit too. Raining earlier today. Wet log lights right up, no problem. Can put lid on
Smokey Joe to put it out. Dump ashes in fire pit. Easy, cheap, convenient.

Tags
propane