Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
Never mind I found it.
Glad to hear it Larry. It was really helpful, and prior to pick up, we noted anything specific to our trailer and added that to the PDI list too. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
I spoke to the RV dealership owner this morning. He is the one who finalized our deal; I had thought he was a manager. Anyway, our conversation yielded the following:

-A new PDI date that is scheduled for the date we initially requested and were denied by the salesman
-A more thorough explanation of the process. As suggested in this thread, he said he normally doesn't install after-market items without a deposit, which I did offer. But then he says that provided we come in tomorrow for preliminary acceptance, not to worry about it and he'll have it completely ready for our PDI.
-It's noteworthy that our salesman has had some family difficulties recently, so that may be part of the communication issues we've had with him.

Here's the sticky point though - the owner held firm that we won't be able to check water during our PDI. He said that this is because they conduct their own, very thorough PDI which can take up to two days, and that they will already have had to re-winterize the unit before we inspect it. He gave the example that they might complete their PDI several days prior, and not have room to keep it in their small service garage for the entire time prior to our personal PDI. Although, they will bring it in the night before so it's warmed up, and we can test all of the other systems. Just not water.

I want to believe him. He was pretty adamant about it, and said if it was June "no problem." But that this is how he needs to do it in the winter, and he won't budge on it. He also said their PDI is very thorough, sometimes taking two days, and says they go through and inspect/tighten all water lines as part of the process. The dealership has some pretty good reviews online. And, they are only 15 minutes from our house. And their price is really good. They beat a huge dealer in our state that has wholesaler prices.

Thoughts?
We did our PDI here in central Ohio recently - they did seem confused when I wanted to start up the water pump. I had even discussed with Salesman couple weeks earlier and offered to pay for being re-winterized.

Used unit so not taking any chances.

Long story short - they hooked up a large bottle of the pink stuff to the suction side of the pump and we fired everything up. Got to test everything - no re-winterization needed. Will have more of a flush to do when spring finally gets here but all good and we know for sure.

I'd be wary of "their PDI". Found the notes on our used unit they had written down - we pointed out all but one of them during ours and had to get them fixed prior to doing any of the paperwork. They did the PDI just didn't actually fix anything they noted during that.

Don't get me wrong - they did fix everything - even a few things we pointed out when we found it - one of the inside doors replaced - shades in the ceiling - couple other things even before everything was finalized and I couldn't touch the deal anywhere across the country. So overall pleased but a learning experience on the whole PDI and walkthrough / inspection.

We spend about 3 1/2 hours on the PDI / Walkthrough then all the paperwork - planned on most of the day so all good.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We did our PDI here in central Ohio recently - they did seem confused when I wanted to start up the water pump. I had even discussed with Salesman couple weeks earlier and offered to pay for being re-winterized.

Used unit so not taking any chances.

Long story short - they hooked up a large bottle of the pink stuff to the suction side of the pump and we fired everything up. Got to test everything - no re-winterization needed. Will have more of a flush to do when spring finally gets here but all good and we know for sure.

I'd be wary of "their PDI". Found the notes on our used unit they had written down - we pointed out all but one of them during ours and had to get them fixed prior to doing any of the paperwork. They did the PDI just didn't actually fix anything they noted during that.

Don't get me wrong - they did fix everything - even a few things we pointed out when we found it - one of the inside doors replaced - shades in the ceiling - couple other things even before everything was finalized and I couldn't touch the deal anywhere across the country. So overall pleased but a learning experience on the whole PDI and walkthrough / inspection.

We spend about 3 1/2 hours on the PDI / Walkthrough then all the paperwork - planned on most of the day so all good.
Glad it went well Gumpster! For anyone still following this thread and who might be curious, I just posted some purchase-related details and a photo of our rig in the Cherokee sub-forum.

Tags
pdi