Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Purchase process and PDI - Is this normal?

Hey everyone,

We recently made a verbal agreement with a local RV dealer on the purchase of a Cherokee 274DBH. I should note that we have seen this model at an RV show, and I had already made an in-person visit to the dealership. Our agreement was made via a email (first sent to the salesman we are working with), and then a phone call from the manager who finalized the price. The manager took our credit application over the phone to confirm numbers, reported back with acceptable terms, and then said that they'd be in touch to let us know whether we'd receive an incoming unit, or if they'd need to place an order for a new one. No deposit required. This was all happening right after an RV show, so I can understand that they'd need to assess their stock and orders.

Since then, the process has been murky. After a couple of weeks, our camper is now in. Our salesperson first told us we could "come in any time" to inspect and sign off on it. However, after outlining our requests for a complete PDI, he now says they are "booked" until March, but we could schedule something then. I then pressed him for available dates in March, and he gave me one date. He's also been really vague about when our WDH will be ordered and installed, as well as the slide topper (all part of our verbal agreement).

Is this typical behavior for a dealership after an RV show? Do they really become so busy that a PDI must be scheduled more than a month out? Is it odd that they haven't asked for a deposit? We've never purchased a brand-new RV before, so it's possible we just don't understand the process.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

It is possible that they are that busy, and every dealer has the option to run the business as they see fit. With that being said, if I were you and you are OK with waiting to take delivery in March, I'd go look the unit over thoroughly on my own(take note of the VIN). If it all looked good, I'd insist on making a deposit of some sort and schedule my PDI. I would NOT want it being sold out from under me, especially if I had Spring camping plans. I'd come back in for my PDI and check everything out very thoroughly before signing the paperwork. Upon a satisfactory PDI, I'd finalize the paperwork. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Just to add: Keep in mind that pretty much EVERYONE makes that identical floorplan, so you could broaden your search and possibly take delivery sooner.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

I would schedule the March date. It is possible they are hoping that you will be so anxious to have the unit, that you may sign for it without a good PDI. If there is nothing wrong with it, They should be able to do a PDI in 2-3hrs. Sounds a little strange.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It is possible that they are that busy, and every dealer has the option to run the business as they see fit. With that being said, if I were you and you are OK with waiting to take delivery in March, I'd go look the unit over thoroughly on my own(take note of the VIN). If it all looked good, I'd insist on making a deposit of some sort and schedule my PDI. I would NOT want it being sold out from under me, especially if I had Spring camping plans. I'd come back in for my PDI and check everything out very thoroughly before signing the paperwork. Upon a satisfactory PDI, I'd finalize the paperwork. Just my .02.
Thanks. Yes, that is what we are concerned about - that they might sell it out from under us (we negotiated a pretty competitive price and financing), or put us low on the priority list. We are planning to go take a look later this week. I may also call the manager with whom we negotiated the final price. I really don't want to go over the salesman's head, but he's not been very helpful.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would schedule the March date. It is possible they are hoping that you will be so anxious to have the unit, that you may sign for it without a good PDI. If there is nothing wrong with it, They should be able to do a PDI in 2-3hrs. Sounds a little strange.
Yeah. It does sound a little strange to us too. We definitely aren't forking over cash until a PDI is complete and any issues are resolved.

A question to piggyback off my other one: We negotiated order and installation of an Equalizer WDH (included in price). And, we discussed installing a slide topper as well (we pay, at dealer cost). Should we expect those items to be complete, before signing off and taking ownership?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Yeah. It does sound a little strange to us too. We definitely aren't forking over cash until a PDI is complete and any issues are resolved.

A question to piggyback off my other one: We negotiated order and installation of an Equalizer WDH (included in price). And, we discussed installing a slide topper as well (we pay, at dealer cost). Should we expect those items to be complete, before signing off and taking ownership?
Depends...
If the slide topper and the WDH are items specifically to you and your unit, the dealer may balk at ordering and installing without having at least, a deposit.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Depends...
If the slide topper and the WDH are items specifically to you and your unit, the dealer may balk at ordering and installing without having at least, a deposit.
Thanks. Seems fair to us. We just want to know what to expect and/or request.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Maybe visit the dealer and tell them you will give them a several thousand dollar deposit with the following conditions. They order the hitch, install the topper and provide a PDI within your window. If the unit is in good condition there should be no reason you will not complete the deal on the date provided. I they balk at that, I would be cautious.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

I'd say go over the salesman as needed. Could be just communication and one call might be able to shed some light...however if this is the service you are getting now does that make you worried when they will have your money...

Someone else will gladly sell you one, however could just be a misunderstanding or poor sales person.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #11

I would just walk away, something is Wrong here. Or they would be anxious to close the deal with you. They probably made a sale for more profit to another customer.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I would just walk away, something is Wrong here. Or they would be anxious to close the deal with you. They probably made a sale for more profit to another customer.
I wondered this, but a sale is a sale, right? I mean, they are ordering and receiving lots of these trailers. Some are bound to sell for more than others depending on individual price agreements. So long as the dealership is making money, wouldn't they want a sale?

Glad we aren't the only ones who think it's odd. This makes me feel better about going over the salesman's head to learn more. We're also going to visit in-person on Friday to see the unit that was "tagged" for us, and that should shed some light on whether this will proceed further. I'll follow up here.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #13

Update

I spoke to the RV dealership owner this morning. He is the one who finalized our deal; I had thought he was a manager. Anyway, our conversation yielded the following:

-A new PDI date that is scheduled for the date we initially requested and were denied by the salesman
-A more thorough explanation of the process. As suggested in this thread, he said he normally doesn't install after-market items without a deposit, which I did offer. But then he says that provided we come in tomorrow for preliminary acceptance, not to worry about it and he'll have it completely ready for our PDI.
-It's noteworthy that our salesman has had some family difficulties recently, so that may be part of the communication issues we've had with him.

Here's the sticky point though - the owner held firm that we won't be able to check water during our PDI. He said that this is because they conduct their own, very thorough PDI which can take up to two days, and that they will already have had to re-winterize the unit before we inspect it. He gave the example that they might complete their PDI several days prior, and not have room to keep it in their small service garage for the entire time prior to our personal PDI. Although, they will bring it in the night before so it's warmed up, and we can test all of the other systems. Just not water.

I want to believe him. He was pretty adamant about it, and said if it was June "no problem." But that this is how he needs to do it in the winter, and he won't budge on it. He also said their PDI is very thorough, sometimes taking two days, and says they go through and inspect/tighten all water lines as part of the process. The dealership has some pretty good reviews online. And, they are only 15 minutes from our house. And their price is really good. They beat a huge dealer in our state that has wholesaler prices.

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
I spoke to the RV dealership owner this morning. He is the one who finalized our deal; I had thought he was a manager. Anyway, our conversation yielded the following:

-A new PDI date that is scheduled for the date we initially requested and were denied by the salesman
-A more thorough explanation of the process. As suggested in this thread, he said he normally doesn't install after-market items without a deposit, which I did offer. But then he says that provided we come in tomorrow for preliminary acceptance, not to worry about it and he'll have it completely ready for our PDI.
-It's noteworthy that our salesman has had some family difficulties recently, so that may be part of the communication issues we've had with him.

Here's the sticky point though - the owner held firm that we won't be able to check water during our PDI. He said that this is because they conduct their own, very thorough PDI which can take up to two days, and that they will already have had to re-winterize the unit before we inspect it. He gave the example that they might complete their PDI several days prior, and not have room to keep it in their small service garage for the entire time prior to our personal PDI. Although, they will bring it in the night before so it's warmed up, and we can test all of the other systems. Just not water.

I want to believe him. He was pretty adamant about it, and said if it was June "no problem." But that this is how he needs to do it in the winter, and he won't budge on it. He also said their PDI is very thorough, sometimes taking two days, and says they go through and inspect/tighten all water lines as part of the process. The dealership has some pretty good reviews online. And, they are only 15 minutes from our house. And their price is really good. They beat a huge dealer in our state that has wholesaler prices.

Thoughts?
If the "MI" in your name is Michigan, I'd think maybe this is not unreasonable. Others with more experience can chime in.

In February in Michigan, to test water he'd have to dewinterize it, then winterize it again.........not something he'd want to do outside, and it seems he doesn't have the inside space to set aside for you for several days. I don't see that as unreasonable, so long as he agrees that if you get it home and dewinterize it in, say, April.......that there are no leaks, and if so he'll fix them asap.

The other stuff about dates and appointments........I dunno about.......

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Site Team

His explanation sounds reasonable, but I would still like to have a tested water system. A couple of possibilities.
Can you be there for his water system testing done a few days before?
If not. ask for a compromise. Ask him to stick the winterizing port hose in a bottle of antifreeze and turn on the water pump. Check to see that it stops and no pink stuff runs out anywhere. This still leaves out some of the system, but is better than no water system test. It will also show you how to winterize and dewinterize.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 02-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd say the dealers response was reasonable.

As pointed out, maybe you could stop in just for just the period of time they check the water system. Would prove two things... one, that they actually do it and two, whether there are any potential leaks/problems.

I would not stick around any longer than necessary. (unless offered by the dealer) Try not to be in their way. Be courteous for the opportunity. Get in, get out and do your complete walk through when scheduled. That should be amicable.

Fifteen minutes from the house shouldn't be an inconvenience for you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #17

Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions. I didn't want to think he was being unreasonable. And yes, I live in Michigan (MILover = MichiganLover), and it is winter. Temps are definitely a factor.

I'll ask about possibly being present for their water check or sticking a hose in some antifreeze to run the pump. If not, I'll ask for some sort of reassurance that our RV service can be prioritized if there are water issues in the spring.

Hopefully all goes well. I'll be sure to post of a picture of our set up when it comes time to bring her home. DH and I really appreciate the advice so we can feel more confident in our decisions.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #18

Yes by all means take some pictures and post them
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #19

When I did inspection last June dealer had tanks full of water for me to see results. Then we went through dumping process with clean water but served purpose. Dealer was Longview in CT. I think there is no reason any dealer couldn't do this. Unless it was a winterization issue.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Some dealerships have a few on-site camping spots for first-time buyers to spend the night while becoming familiar with their unit. If this dealer does this as part of the PDI, it's possible to be booked for a few weeks out. OP would need to ask if this the case. If he doesn't want a camping spot, they might be able to complete the PDI sooner.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi