Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Purchasing a tow vehicle

I am getting very close to purchasing a new 5th wheel and having decided on a Rockwood 8285WS I am now looking for a tow vehicle, probably a Ford F250 or F350 SRW. My budget will allow a 2006/07. The problem is I have never bought a second hand truck and would like to know how the dealers operate. With a new vehicle there is plenty of information on the Internet regarding pricing and profit margins which one can (and have) used when dealing with a salesman, but what about 2nd hand? All I can find is K.B. Book but can find very little information regarding margins etc. Can anyone help me here, or can I expect to pay close to the asking price? There will be no trade in.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

this is what I do on used vehicles. I look at the going rate for trade in and asking price or booked value as opposed to what they're asking for it. then I pretty much split the difference towards the lower end, what they might've given for it, and then slowly work up until I have split the difference. I tell them I don't have to buy but they have to sell and I won't be the one financing their next trip to Hawaii. then I ask to talk to the former owner and ask that person about the history of the vehicle. I could, on occasion, ask the owner what they gave him for it too, but I sometimes don't go that far. I mean the dealer has to make a little money on the deal, but I ain't gonna finance his bonus or a trip for him either. I help him put beans on the table and that's about it.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #3

You have no way to know what the dealer has in a vehicle.
Some are procured via trade on a new or used vehicle. All are gone over in the shop and inspected and repaired. What did it need?

So a dealer 'pays' $5k figuring it will sell for $7k. Then finds out it needs brakes or ball joints or something and puts $800 in it. He has some forumula for knowing what he needs to avg per unit to make money, and the salesman, sales manager also get a portion of the margin/price on the truck.

Sometimes a dealer will take a trade at a too high price - to move a new unit and get a bonus perhaps, or they know its an in-demand model or it's a good customer or the customer is buying a couple of cars, etc.

Many used cars on lots come from auctions, and that is where the dealer will 'dump' the ones he has that haven't sold (usually in 3 months they'll turn them loose at an auction) and buy ones he thinks he can sell.

As a unit 'ages out' and approaches that 3 month point they'll be more likely to make $500 on it than lose money at an auction.

Now there is a wrinkle in the used car market of late. With teh economic downturn a few years ago new car sales tanked - so the supply of used cars has been affected - those 2006 that would have been traded in 09 were held onto - and there are few 09-11 used cars. That means 09-11 used vehicles are commanding higher than normal pricing - and this means today's cars are leasing a big cheaper (lease prices are based on new vs resale prices, you pay the diff).

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

I try to find a vehicle i like on line then go to kbb.com and get a idea of what trade in is that way when you walk in you have a idea of your negotiating room is. Good luck
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

my current truck was new from the factory but I have bought several used. I always go private party for mine. I stay away from the dealers when I get used because the price is always more. plenty of good, taken care of trucks on the market and you get to talk to the owner about what has been done to it.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #6

Dealers (brand name dealers) only sell good vehicles, inspected ones. They have factory trained, experienced techs look them over and fix them.
I've never had a problem with a used car from a dealership. And they'll stand behind them if there is a problem in the first month or two.

Private party...they will lie (ommission more than outright lie) because they've no reason not to - no repuatation or repeat business to care about. Some are selling for a valid reason, but most are selling because there is something WRONG with the vehicle. They were told 'you'll need X soon and tis' $1000' so they sell it to you - and never mention the X that's about to fail.

EVERY SINGLE used car I've bought off a private party has had a failure of some kind within the first month of ownership.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Dealers (brand name dealers) only sell good vehicles, inspected ones. They have factory trained, experienced techs look them over and fix them.
pretty funny statement (dont take personally) most people trade them in because they are failing and they do not want to put more money into them.. I bought a used car last year from a HUGE dealer biggest piece of sh** tried to get some things fixed that I/she never used 30 days after and they said no and that car was $12k (wifes) . as a matter of fact I have bought so many vehicles from private parties and every owner was straight up and truthful

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I have bought so many vehicles from private parties and every owner was straight up and truthful
Yup, way more honest than any dealer I have run across!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #9

Unhappy

Thanks for your input folks, it was more the dealers I was interested in. I guess an independent inspection would help although no one has a crystal ball. I just wish I had the money to buy new
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

I'm a franchised new and used vehicle dealer. My advice... buy from a small franchised dealer. The independents and the huge metro city dealers don't rely on repeat business... they reply on impulse buyers and people shopping for the very cheapest price. A small center relies on repeat business and will look after you to earn your business again and again.