Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Purchasing Trailer online, any suggestions?

We are purchasing an 07 Wildwood 26TBSS from a dealer back east and we are in Las Vegas. We are paying the price they have on their website which is still lower than others we have seen. We are having the trailer shipped to us since they are 2,000 miles away. Has anyone had any success getting the dealer to throw in extra goodies and whatnot when agreeing to pay their advertised price? I just don't know if we should be trying to get the price down or trying to get some upgrades. Any suggestions?
Wildwood Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I've had good success in an in-person transaction, but not too well at season start like this.

On-line I suspect it is difficult to establish a good bargaining position, or even what is included so I'd be at a disadvantage.

Things I'd suggest going for is vent covers, AC cover, upgraded propane tank cover, and depending on the awning length, a centre support. Since they're a dealer, I'd also push for a starter kit, which usually includes sewer hose, fittings, electrical adapters, etc. I'd also ask them to install a WH bi-pass, but then again I'm not in LV so winterizing is an issue.

In person, I'd complain if necessary about mattress quality and push for a swap with another better one. I'd also take a trip through the parts shop to take note of things they have a lot of stock of and then mention I need it. I also get agreement on a discount for future parts purchases. But all that is impossible on-line.

I sure hope this works out for you. So many owners credit their quality and service satisfaction in part on their good local dealer.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Site Team

if your talking about RVWholesalers, i don't think you can get any freebies. their prices are so much lower, they can't afford to throw things in. they might give you something at cost but their prices are rock bottom. i've read many people who've bought from them and they didn't get any additional deals other than the great price.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

We are buying from Homan Moters, Inc in Ohio and they wont budge on the price at all. It is lower than any price I have seen anywhere and they say their profit margin is VERY slim. I talked to another dealer about the price I was getting from Holman's (which was almost $2,000 less than what he could offer me) and he told me that Holman was only making about a $150 profit on the trailer. This made me feel a lot better about the purchase. The guys over at Holman are very nice and the independent transporter that will be delivering our trailer to us says he has worked with Holman's Motors many times and said they are very honest and a great dealer to buy from. So even though I'm not getting any freebies, we still feel very good about the purchase.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
That sounds like a dealer to deal with! that's for sure.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Site Team

not sure if you checked RVWholesalers but they have 2 of the 26TBSS with options for $14,185. here's a link:
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/invento...ck=&condition=

not sure what holman's price is but they are both in ohio.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #7

Yes, we have looked at RVwholesalers but they are still about $600 more than the price we are getting at Holman's.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #8

when and if something goes wrong who do you take it to ? local stealer,, or ship it back to Ohio ? Who's on your side ,the local dealer will look at you like an outsider and put there customers in first.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #9

We bought the 8298SS on line at RV Direct in Albany NY and had no problems, Also we beat all local dealers by 15%. No problem with local service either.
JUst went out on the first trip shake down last weekend here in MA everythign went great. Had one small problem and emailed my dealer in NY he is mailing me a check for my out of pocket expenses.
Good Luck Joe
Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller
JMBOCONNOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #10

We purchased the trailer online because we only have one Forest River dealer within 200 miles of us and they do not sell the trailers mfg in IL, only the trailers mfg in CA. If I wanted to purchase the Forest River trailer that had the same layout, had a different model name but mfg in CA, we would have had to pay close to $5,000 more. I will purchase an item across the US anyday and pay someone $1500 to tow it to my home if its going to save me $5000. We are very happy with the price we paid and we have 5+ good RV dealers in las vegas that I wouldn't think twice of using for service.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #11

Keep us posted with your experience. I've never purchased online but I've talked with others that have. Some say it's been a very good experience and others say not.

Cheers!!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #12

26tbss

I live in Southern California and have found the same problem. I have been debating buying over the 'net and having it shipped....so, I am VERY interested in how your experience goes. PLEASE PLEASE post an update !!

Thank You !!

TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post
I live in Southern California and have found the same problem. I have been debating buying over the 'net and having it shipped....so, I am VERY interested in how your experience goes. PLEASE PLEASE post an update !!

Thank You !!

It's been 5 months since the last posting, hope you get your answer. If not you may try sending a PM(private message) to th OP.

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #14

Saw That

Thanks Paul. I did send him a PM, but no luck. Ahhh well. I think I'm gonna go ahead and do this, but it's stressing me out. I wish my market was not 70-90% toy haulers.

Thanks again !
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post

Thanks Paul. I did send him a PM, but no luck. Ahhh well. I think I'm gonna go ahead and do this, but it's stressing me out. I wish my market was not 70-90% toy haulers.

Thanks again !
Lets see.....think outside the box. Maybe there is some kind of brokerage service for a modest fee will look it over for you. Or go to RV.net and see if a forum member in the area could take a look see for you. Any friends or relatives you trust in the area? My neighbors bought a tt on line sight unseen, went to Ohio to pick it up and hauled it to the Katrina area(insurance adjusters) and lived in it for about 6 months, became too small and bought a 5er. They said seller told the TRUTH about condition. I guess you may have to be a trusting person. Another idea....maybe the shipping company will take a look at it. Also there are folks that make a living moving tts and they may have knowledge and take a look at it. Heck if it were near me I would take a look at it.

Good luck,

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #16

Thanks Paul ! It's a new tt from a dealer and thus far I've been please with how it's going. They are over-nighting the docs tomorrow and they matched my local Credit Union's best finance rate. To be honest, the comp trailer in my market is more than the cost + shipping for this one AND this one is the floorplan I want. The local one is only a "would-make-do" FP. If all goes well, I should have this bad-boy by next week. I will certainly post my experience both good and bad.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 AM   #17

Buying online...

We bought ours online, so to speak, but from an individual from Illinois, as we are in oregon. we seen the TT online, and I emailed them about it. they gave me the info i wanted, along with detailed pictures of anything we wanted. we made an agreement to Meet half way, (ended up being Chyenne wyoming) and we did a Full inspection of the RV before exchanging keys cash ect. we are very happy with our purchase experience. From what I gathered a few months ago, the shipping/ delivery runs about 2.25-3.25 a mile. depending on a few things. I dont know if that included any insurance the buyer has to purchase for the delivery( coverage if theres an accident) ect.
definately questions to ask...as you dont want a $7000 Bill as a surprise when the new toy arrives..
Good luck.
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #18

The shipping is gonna cost me $1.35/mile (one way) and they are fully insured. I toyed with the idea of flying out there and renting a Penske truck to tow it home. Penske (and all the others), however, does not allow you to tow anything over 4k lbs...officially. The docs were over-nighted today and I should see them in the AM. I will then send them back same day and hopefully TT is here in Calif by Mon-Tues of next week.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfans View Post
when and if something goes wrong who do you take it to ? local stealer,, or ship it back to Ohio ? Who's on your side ,the local dealer will look at you like an outsider and put there customers in first.
This is a SALES TACTIC. Sales has little to do with service. Two completely different departments. Any repairs the first year will be covered by the manufacturer. Do you really think ANY service department is SO busy they'd turn down ANY business? Me neither.

My local dealer is a meathead, to be polite. Liar if you want to be frank. I wouldn't set foot back on his lot. OBTW, I saved $6K ordering it online through RVW, rather than ordering it through him.

RVW has been great before, during, and after the sale. Had a problem with my Concertone (hasn't everyone?), and they were quick to help me out.

So if you buy your camper locally, what will you do if you travel and have an issue? Can't take it to an authorized service center? Do you do the same thing with your tow vehicle?

Just for fun, call your local service center, ask if they'd be willing to work on a camper purchased elsewhere. LOL!
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
. Do you really think ANY service department is SO busy they'd turn down ANY business? LOL!

I wanted to take my OUTBACK trailer to a local dealer I didn't buy it from for a DOMETIC FRIDGE recall. They wouldn't take it until all their customers were fixed up first. (If they had kits left to fix mine)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote